1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Gpr/aegd

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Joshua Tree, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Member
    7+ Year Member

Does anyone know what type of board scores/grades one must get in dental school to be competitive for these programs? Most programs only take a couple of students and I imagine it must be competitive. Any info would be appreciated....

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

There are a good number of GPR and AEGD programs offered throuhout the USA. I get the impression that they are not as competitive as the speciality programs. Within the GPR/AEGD programs themselves, the ones which pay a stipend are likley the more competitive.

4. GTchick

GTchick Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Anyone that wants to do a general practicer esidency can according to the admissions staff at MCG. They said that within recent years there have been more spots open than applicants so thateven after match day people can still apply to them.

5. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    What GTchick said is true (of course!). Most students won't have any trouble at all getting a spot in one of these post-grad educational residencies.

6. sonrisa dentista

sonrisa dentista Snakes On A Member?
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The GPR and AEGD are both types of dental residencies, right? Could someone explain the difference between the two? Thanks!

7. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't know for sure, but I get the impression that GPRs are done in a 24/7 teaching hospital environment whereas AEGDs are done in a M-F post grad dental school environment. I would imagine that both programs would likley enable one to increase their skills in providng dental services to compromised patients such as those with oral cancer, full blown aids, advanced diabetes, etc. Those in a GPR may get more exposure to dealing with emergency trauma cases.

8. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

Yep indeedy.

My sister went through the 1-year GPR program at Bellevue Hospital in NYC and it is exactly what Groundhog said.

She treated a lot of medically-compromised patients, many of whom were ASA class-III. Plus Bellevue provided dental care for inmates of the NYC Correctional System, so oftentimes she worked on prisoners in manacles while the marshal stood by with a shotgun. :D And the prisoners often have all sorts of nasty diseases so it is challenging to plan and render treatment for them.

The upside? My sister also learned marketable skills like perio surgery and implant dentistry. Thanks to the skills she learned at the GPR, as a second-year dentist she's pulling in 35% at a group practice (amounts to about $150K gross).