groundhog

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2000
Visit site
Status
There are a good number of GPR and AEGD programs offered throuhout the USA. I get the impression that they are not as competitive as the speciality programs. Within the GPR/AEGD programs themselves, the ones which pay a stipend are likley the more competitive.

GTchick

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2001
Philadelphia
Visit site
Status
Anyone that wants to do a general practicer esidency can according to the admissions staff at MCG. They said that within recent years there have been more spots open than applicants so thateven after match day people can still apply to them.

About the Ads

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
What GTchick said is true (of course!). Most students won't have any trouble at all getting a spot in one of these post-grad educational residencies.

sonrisa dentista

Snakes On A Member?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 3, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Status
Dental Student
The GPR and AEGD are both types of dental residencies, right? Could someone explain the difference between the two? Thanks!

groundhog

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2000
Visit site
Status
I don't know for sure, but I get the impression that GPRs are done in a 24/7 teaching hospital environment whereas AEGDs are done in a M-F post grad dental school environment. I would imagine that both programs would likley enable one to increase their skills in providng dental services to compromised patients such as those with oral cancer, full blown aids, advanced diabetes, etc. Those in a GPR may get more exposure to dealing with emergency trauma cases.

UBTom

Class '04 official geezer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2002
Queens, NY
www.iloveny.com
Status
Yep indeedy.

My sister went through the 1-year GPR program at Bellevue Hospital in NYC and it is exactly what Groundhog said.

She treated a lot of medically-compromised patients, many of whom were ASA class-III. Plus Bellevue provided dental care for inmates of the NYC Correctional System, so oftentimes she worked on prisoners in manacles while the marshal stood by with a shotgun. :D And the prisoners often have all sorts of nasty diseases so it is challenging to plan and render treatment for them.

The upside? My sister also learned marketable skills like perio surgery and implant dentistry. Thanks to the skills she learned at the GPR, as a second-year dentist she's pulling in 35% at a group practice (amounts to about $150K gross).

About the Ads