Research for GPR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toothmaster20311

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends. I was just accepted to a few dental schools. Thinking ahead, I was wondering if residency program care at all about research. If not, how is doing research in the interest of already-busy students ?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello friends. I was just accepted to a few dental schools. Thinking ahead, I was wondering if residency program care at all about research. If not, how is doing research in the interest of already-busy students ?
One step at a time ;)

It depends on what the goal is. If the goal is maximizing competency in general dentistry, I would say make the most of the curriculum offered. Hit the bench/sim lab hard and try to learn everything you can in the clinic. If you want to specialize, try to keep your grades up and do what you need to show an interest in the specialty you like. Join clubs, shadow/extern, outreaches, etc. Do research if you have the time and energy, but it's extra. If your academic and preclincal/clinical performance begin to suffer, refocus your efforts on making the best of the curriculum you're paying so much for because that's the first thing most PD's look at. Poor grades, but research on the CV demonstrate difficulty with prioritizing. The PD's will see right through it. But if you can handle all of those responsibilities well, then go for it.

If the goal is just to graduate DS and go to any PGY1 program so you can legally practice in certain states, then don't worry. You won't have a problem securing a spot.

If you don't mind me asking, what schools were you accepted to and where did you decide to go?

These are just my opinions, so if anyone disagrees feel free to chime in :)

Reactions: 5 users
Research only matters for a few specialties. Even then, you don't have to worry about that for a few years. Baby steps!

Reactions: 1 user