Grad Program Hurting Me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhog59

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just started a grad program at the start of the summer, but I am still applying this round. I have not yet applied because I am re-taking the MCAT in August, but I just met with the pre-med advisor at my school and he was discouraging me from applying this round. He said programs tend to "shy away" from students who have just started a masters because they don't want to pull them away from the program. Is this true? He also acted like I'm crazy for applying this late, and kinda turned his nose up at me for trying. My stats really aren't bad as long as I do okay on the MCAT next month, so I'm just wondering if him telling me all this was justified. I'd love to hear y'all's opinions. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I just started a grad program at the start of the summer, but I am still applying this round. I have not yet applied because I am re-taking the MCAT in August, but I just met with the pre-med advisor at my school and he was discouraging me from applying this round. He said programs tend to "shy away" from students who have just started a masters because they don't want to pull them away from the program. Is this true? He also acted like I'm crazy for applying this late, and kinda turned his nose up at me for trying. My stats really aren't bad as long as I do okay on the MCAT next month, so I'm just wondering if him telling me all this was justified. I'd love to hear y'all's opinions. Thanks.
What is your GPA and MCAT currently?

GPA: 3.28/3.1. Took the MCAT in 2015, did terribly with a 493. Practice tests this time around are going much better, and I hope to score 504/505.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT and GPA are low, that being said,

Most of my friends started grad school as they were rejected from MD programs and got into a few DO schools that same cycle. They finished their first year of their masters and went straight to DO school the next September.
The Masters program should not hurt you much.

But applying late will, with your current GPA and stats. and a 504/505 is still on the lower end to offset the GPA in my opinion. I think finishing the masters program for the reason you can improve your GPA and MCAT even more is the better call.

I dont understand why you think your app will be late with an August MCAT, and frankly your pre-med advisor should know better.

Just ask @Goro. September app isn't early, but its not late.

I dont understand why you think your app will be late with an August MCAT, and frankly your pre-med advisor should know better.

Just ask @Goro. September app isn't early, but its not late.

Its because it will take until September for the MCAT score to come out, stats arent too high.
If he takes the full year he will have a higher GPA hopefully and a higher'er MCAT than what he is anticipating now.

Its because it will take until September for the MCAT score to come out, stats arent too high.
If he takes the full year he will have a higher GPA hopefully and a higher'er MCAT than what he is anticipating now.
I mean no stats arent stellar but even so a Sept app isn't considered, "late." I definitely understand what you're saying though; a June app is always the best way to go.

Reactions: 1 user
You won't be too late

However, we will want to know that you're not going to bail on Med school, like you're bailing on grad school.

Reactions: 3 users
You won't be too late

However, we will want to know that you're not going to bail on Med school, like you're bailing on grad school.

Another teaching point by Goro. Had a medical school faculty tell me this when doing my masters (on a side note my MD school gives interview points for having a masters, so they like people who complete what they start).

Reactions: 1 user