Grad school and Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USCbiograd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see lots of posts from people asking questions about masters programs. Have any of you ever completed a master's program and then gained acceptance to Dental school? Does completing a masters program greatly enhance your chances of being accepted to Dental school? Can it compensate for average DAT scores?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say it definitely helps your chances. Grad courses (esp in the sciences) are more difficult than undergrad science courses, on the average. If you can do well in those it shows an adcom that you are committed and can handle hard subject material. It can help compensate for a lower undergrad GPA and average DAT scores, but dont make the mistake of assuming it will make up for the completely. The only thing that can compensate for average DAT scores, is better DAT scores. But bottom line, if you dont get in or want to beef up an application even more, grad. programs can definitely help you out.

I'm finishing my M.S. at the end of April and I will be starting D-school this fall. I had a low undergrad gpa and it boosted my application to do well. I think it just looks good to do well in graduate science classes in general. If you are going to get an M.S. in order to improve you chances of acceptence or makeup for a low gpa, I highly recommend a non-thesis masters, which is 100% coursework based. Thesis masters require research, and thus less classes. Often times the research can recieve grades, and I'm sure everyone gets an "A" from their research professor, so schools would rather see you do actual coursework.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a low GPA and would not otherwise have gained admittance . . . the RIGHT Masters may greatly increase your chances. By right, I mean one that addresses the weaknesses in your undergrad GPA and in your prior application. I don't think a Masters in any old thing is impressive, but one that includes the sciences can show case your ability to handle the kind of academic caseload that will prepare you for dental school.

Based on some of the posters on SDN, it obviously worked for them!

I'm finishing my M.S. at the end of April and I will be starting D-school this fall. I had a low undergrad gpa and it boosted my application to do well. I think it just looks good to do well in graduate science classes in general. If you are going to get an M.S. in order to improve you chances of acceptence or makeup for a low gpa, I highly recommend a non-thesis masters, which is 100% coursework based. Thesis masters require research, and thus less classes. Often times the research can recieve grades, and I'm sure everyone gets an "A" from their research professor, so schools would rather see you do actual coursework.

Which masters program did you do and what schools interviewed you?

Though I agree that a Master's will definitely help your chances of getting in, I actually highly recommend you go the thesis route. Not doing it kind of looks like you copped out...and at least at my school is frowned upon.

I'm finishing up my thesis right now which I chose to do at a dental school with an oral surgeon. It's really not that bad and you'll learn so much about dentistry in general. I'm confident that having that experience helped me to get into the dental school of my choice. So, if you have the chance to do research on a dental-related topic, you should go for it. :thumbup:

Though I agree that a Master's will definitely help your chances of getting in, I actually highly recommend you go the thesis route. Not doing it kind of looks like you copped out...and at least at my school is frowned upon.

I'm finishing up my thesis right now which I chose to do at a dental school with an oral surgeon. It's really not that bad and you'll learn so much about dentistry in general. I'm confident that having that experience helped me to get into the dental school of my choice. So, if you have the chance to do research on a dental-related topic, you should go for it. :thumbup:

Honestly I'd say it depends on your situation. Doing a thesis means doing research. Now some M.S. programs may have you do this in addition to a full courseload, but I doubt many would. Thus you actually take less classes and then do research. So if you needed to prove yourself to make up for a poor undergrad GPA, you do well in a few courses and then research.

Compare this to a non-thesis totally coursework based M.S. In this instance you get your M.S. for successfully passing a set number of classes. I'd say there is more then likely going to be more classes in the non-thesis vs. the thesis M.S. So the person needing GPA enhancement can take, and do well in more classes vs. the person that was in the thesis M.S. If you really need to make up for a bad GPA, I really don't think doing research will look as good as getting a few more A's in graduate science classes.

However take this with a grain of salt, there are sooo many M.S. programs, find the one that suits your goals and situation. If you do not need a big GPA enhancement (~3.2+ Cumulative and Sci GPA) then go for whatever you would like (thesis or non-thesis). But if you were in my situation and had a far worse GPA, then I'd really recommend non-thesis. Ace all those graduate science classes and you'll be in much better shape IMO. Worked for me.

Honestly I'd say it depends on your situation. Doing a thesis means doing research. Now some M.S. programs may have you do this in addition to a full courseload, but I doubt many would. Thus you actually take less classes and then do research. So if you needed to prove yourself to make up for a poor undergrad GPA, you do well in a few courses and then research.

Compare this to a non-thesis totally coursework based M.S. In this instance you get your M.S. for successfully passing a set number of classes. I'd say there is more then likely going to be more classes in the non-thesis vs. the thesis M.S. So the person needing GPA enhancement can take, and do well in more classes vs. the person that was in the thesis M.S. If you really need to make up for a bad GPA, I really don't think doing research will look as good as getting a few more A's in graduate science classes.

However take this with a grain of salt, there are sooo many M.S. programs, find the one that suits your goals and situation. If you do not need a big GPA enhancement (~3.2+ Cumulative and Sci GPA) then go for whatever you would like (thesis or non-thesis). But if you were in my situation and had a far worse GPA, then I'd really recommend non-thesis. Ace all those graduate science classes and you'll be in much better shape IMO. Worked for me.

I have a GPA of 1.72, which i believe is not acceptable to Any Dental Schools...now, i would like to know what MASTERS PROGRAM i should take up so that i can improve my GPA...and also which schools have this programs...I am willing to give whatever it takes...any help will be greatly appreciated!

I have a GPA of 1.72, which i believe is not acceptable to Any Dental Schools...now, i would like to know what MASTERS PROGRAM i should take up so that i can improve my GPA...and also which schools have this programs...I am willing to give whatever it takes...any help will be greatly appreciated!

With a GPA that low you may have trouble getting accepted into a master's program. A post-bacc may be the best route until you raise your GPA high enough for a master's program. I personally feel that a master's of biomedical sciences is a good route (as the first 2 years of D-school will be biomedical science courses). I am not sure of all of the schools that offer this but I know the University of South Carolina School of Medicine does. It is a 2 year thesis based program.

Don't most people do non-thesis because it is only 1 year of coursework? Why would students choose the thesis? Those are normally 2 years long right? So if we wanted to re-apply, the best route is non-thesis?

actually the thesis track might allow you to finish faster b/c most thesis is done on your own time. that means not having to take ~5 credits of classwork that might not be offered.

i know alot of folks do their didactic courses in the fall/spring and then finish up the thesis in the summer (obviously doing work on it throughout the other 2 semester)

Thesis option will also depend on your PI. It might take just 2 semesters...but can take alot longer than that

Don't most people do non-thesis because it is only 1 year of coursework? Why would students choose the thesis? Those are normally 2 years long right? So if we wanted to re-apply, the best route is non-thesis?

I don't understand the point of taking a 1 year master's program though. You're grades from that program will not appear on your transcript, as you will be applying before the start of the program. So wouldn't you want to apply to a 2 year master's program, so that the first year actually factors into your application? Or do you take the 1 year master's program, then apply AFTER you finish (which would mean you will have a year off...)?

You can apply after you complete the first year of a 2 year thesis program. This will allow you to finish the master's and jump right into a dental program. As for whether or not to do a thesis or non-thesis tract, I feel that a thesis tract is more respected and will allow for publications that could allow you to stand out among other dental school applicants.