grad school GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supersash

so what's an epitope?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well i def know this is on here, but i just couldn't find it. for DO schools, where the heck does the grad GPA come in? is is just its own factored GPA?

i always mocked everyone else asking the some questions over and over..but now that i am applying...i'm becoming one of them! hehe. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

THANKS! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

supersash said:
well i def know this is on here, but i just couldn't find it. for DO schools, where the heck does the grad GPA come in? is is just its own factored GPA?

i always mocked everyone else asking the some questions over and over..but now that i am applying...i'm becoming one of them! hehe. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

THANKS! :luck:

I have taken one graduate class and I recieved an A in the class, so I e-mailed AACOMS to see if the graduate class would be calculated in my overall science gpa since it was a science class. They assured me that the class would in fact be counted into my science gpa even though it was graduate class.

I'm not sure if that answers your question or not, but you can always e-mail them and ask.

shellyr33 said:
I have taken one graduate class and I recieved an A in the class, so I e-mailed AACOMS to see if the graduate class would be calculated in my overall science gpa since it was a science class. They assured me that the class would in fact be counted into my science gpa even though it was graduate class.

I'm not sure if that answers your question or not, but you can always e-mail them and ask.

I also contacted AACOMS and their reply was that your GPA is calculated several ways, one of which includes your graduate factored in with your undergrad, post bacc, etc.

So the answer is yes, your graduate school grades are in fact used to calculate your science and overall GPA when applying to osteopathic schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
So its the oppostite of AMCAS? I was under the impression Graduate and Undergrad were seperate.

AACOMAS is messing with my head...

HunterGatherer said:
if you complete a science graduate program some DO schools will use the graduate school GPA instead of your undergrad.

So does AACOMAS display both GPAs--the graduate science and undergrad science?

DrVanNostran said:
So does AACOMAS display both GPAs--the graduate science and undergrad science?

I'm not sure how they are displayed, I assume that classes are shown seperately on the application by year and type ( ie undergrad, grad, post bacc, etc) however I was told specifically that both graduate and undergraduate GPAs are factored together when calculating your GPA. Yes, this is totally different from the way allopathic schools do things.

Regarding what HG said, I was not aware that some schools use your graduate GPA only with a science degree, if I'm reading what he is saying correctly. Since I have a science graduate degree I would be curious to know which schools he is referring to...

My UMDNJSOM interviewer said that the GPA from grad school is used for admissions if you have completed the degree at the time of submitting to AACOMAS. I did not get into the details since if I reapplied I would just be starting the one year master's program I was looking into.

DrVan,
i only went to undergrad so I'm not sure. I'm my AACOMAS my GPA was displayed as science, overall, and broken down into the 4 years of school.

HunterGatherer said:
My UMDNJSOM interviewer said that the GPA from grad school is used for admissions if you have completed the degree at the time of submitting to AACOMAS. I did not get into the details since if I reapplied I would just be starting the one year master's program I was looking into.

DrVan,
i only went to undergrad so I'm not sure. I'm my AACOMAS my GPA was displayed as science, overall, and broken down into the 4 years of school.

all this news just made my day!!!!!!! since i have an Msc in Mol bio and finished the degree with a 4.0, also since i would like to stay in NY or NJ to go to school

Could someone clarify whether UNJ uses only your graduate GPA and not the average of your undergrad and graduate gpa? The former almost seems too good to be true.

Thanks for the replies Sun and HG. I just hope that the AACOMAS displays enough information :)