Grade replacement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsxrman25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does grade replacement work?

I only had to replace one of my classes, pyhsics but I had to take it twice. I ended up with the grade that I wanted but am unsure how AACOMAS looks at it.

Any info would help

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

How does grade replacement work?

I only had to replace one of my classes, pyhsics but I had to take it twice. I ended up with the grade that I wanted but am unsure how AACOMAS looks at it.

Any info would help

Thanks.

Far as I know, they replace they take the highest grade and count the class once.

i.e. if you take physics (4 credit class) 3 times, and your highest grade is an A, it would be 4 credits, 4.0.

Far as I know, they replace they take the highest grade and count the class once.

i.e. if you take physics (4 credit class) 3 times, and your highest grade is an A, it would be 4 credits, 4.0.

Incorrect. They replace with the most recent instance of the course (which usually is the highest grade).

There are 2 main rules with regards to grade replacement:

1) The courses must be essentially equivalent (similar enough in both title and description), and

2) The replacement course (i.e. the most recent instance of the course) must have an equal or greater number of credits to the course(s) it is replacing. For example, if you are replacing a 3 credit Physics course, it has to be replaced with a 3 credit or more equivalent Physics course as determined by the school transcript. If the original course is labeled as a 4 credit course on your transcript, it can only be replaced by another 4 or more credit course.

In OP's situation, he would label the courses as underlined below in AACOMAS:

Physics 1 - 4 credits - Fall 2011 - Repeat 01 (R01)
Physics 1 - 4 credits - Fall 2012 - Repeat 01 (R01)
Physics 1 - 4 credits - Spring 2013 - Last Repeat 01 (L01)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Incorrect. They replace with the most recent instance of the course (which usually is the highest grade).

There are 2 main rules with regards to grade replacement:

1) The courses must be essentially equivalent (similar enough in both title and description), and

2) The replacement course (i.e. the most recent instance of the course) must have an equal or greater number of credits to the course(s) it is replacing. For example, if you are replacing a 3 credit Physics course, it has to be replaced with a 3 credit or more equivalent Physics course as determined by the school transcript. If the original course is labeled as a 4 credit course on your transcript, it can only be replaced by another 4 or more credit course.

In OP's situation, he would label the courses as underlined below in AACOMAS:

Physics 1 - 4 credits - Fall 2011 - Repeat 01 (R01)
Physics 1 - 4 credits - Fall 2012 - Repeat 01 (R01)
Physics 1 - 4 credits - Spring 2013 - Last Repeat 01 (L01)

so if OP had...

Physics 1, 4 credits, C
Physics 1, 4 credits, C+ retake
Physics 1, 4 credits A last repeat

How many credits are contributing towards his GPA? 12? 8? 4?

EDIT: I think we're both saying the same thing...my previous post should have read so if your highest AND MOST RECENT grade was an A, it would be 4 credits, 4.0.

so if OP had...

Physics 1, 4 credits, C
Physics 1, 4 credits A last repeat

How many credits are contributing towards his GPA? 12? 8? 4?

EDIT: I think we're both saying the same thing...my previous post should have read so if your highest AND MOST RECENT grade was an A, it would be 4 credits, 4.0.

Yup. It would count as 4 credits, only the most recent course would be counted towards GPA calculation (in your example it is the highest), but all will be displayed.

Now if the most recent grade was something lower, like say it looked like this:

Physics 1, 4 credits, F
Physics 1, 4 credits, C last repeat

Then, in this case the grade would be calculated as a C as opposed to a C+.

Hey guys thanks for the quick response.

When filling out the application, is it on a straight A, B, C, D grade scale or does it allow you to input numerical gpa

Ex. B+ (87) is a 3.3 for the course compared to a B (80) 3.0

When filling out the application, is it on a straight A, B, C, D grade scale or does it allow you to input numerical gpa

The standard grades for AACOMAS include B+, B-, etc. They are rated as 3.3 = B+, 2.7 = B-, etc. If your school does grades differently (e.g. 3.25 instead of 3.3), you can have them adjust it of you like.

I don't mean to steal the thread..but...what about this scenario:
credit hrs in parenthesis.

first instance: (3) O Chem-C and (1) O Chem lab-C
repeat : (4) O Chem lecture and lab - A

I heard that in a situation like this it's possible to for AACOMAS to count the repeat as a full replacement of lab and lecture (as in the first instance), effectively counting A's for both lab and lecture for a total of 4 hrs replaced.

Is this accurate?

I heard that in a situation like this it's possible to for AACOMAS to count the repeat as a full replacement of lab and lecture (as in the first instance), effectively counting A's for both lab and lecture for a total of 4 hrs replaced.

Is this accurate?

That is exactly what I did this past cycle and yes, it replaced the old one just fine. For both semesters.

Is this accurate?

The 4 credit combo would only replace the 3 credit, since the class can't replace more than one class. That is what they told me.

If I remember correctly, AACOMAS allows you to enter a numeric grade or a letter grade. You absolutely should use whatever appears on your transcript.

That is exactly what I did this past cycle and yes, it replaced the old one just fine. For both semesters.

OK, if i understand correctly then you replaced two classes (4 credits) with one class. This is important because it is not the same (GPA-wise) replacing 3hrs for 4hrs than to replacing
3+1 for 4..
does that make sense?

The 4 credit combo would only replace the 3 credit, since the class can't replace more than one class. That is what they told me.

yeah I thought so too, but I keep hearing contradicting info..
So you called AACOMAS and they told you that?

grade replacement is a beautiful thing:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, if i understand correctly then you replaced two classes (4 credits) with one class. This is important because it is not the same (GPA-wise) replacing 3hrs for 4hrs than to replacing
3+1 for 4..
does that make sense?

...Let me break it down for you.

I took orgo 1 lecture (3 units) and lab (2 unit) as separate courses. Didn't do so hot in those.
Also took orgo 2 lecture (3 units) and lab (this lab was 1 unit) as separate courses. Did even worse in those.

When I retook orgo, I took it at a school that has each semester as a single, 5-unit combined lecture and lab course. Both semesters went well.

I replaced the old 3 unit lecture and 2 unit lab from orgo 1 with the single, 5-unit combined orgo 1 retake.
I also replaced the old 3 unit lecture and 1 unit lab from orgo 2 with the single, 5-unit combined orgo 2 retake.

So the old courses were completely replaced. Not sure why AACOMAS would tell you otherwise but if I were you I'd try just replacing both of them on my primary. It worked out for me - application was verified with no hiccups.

...Let me break it down for you.

I took orgo 1 lecture (3 units) and lab (2 unit) as separate courses. Didn't do so hot in those.
Also took orgo 2 lecture (3 units) and lab (this lab was 1 unit) as separate courses. Did even worse in those.

When I retook orgo, I took it at a school that has each semester as a single, 5-unit combined lecture and lab course. Both semesters went well.

I replaced the old 3 unit lecture and 2 unit lab from orgo 1 with the single, 5-unit combined orgo 1 retake.
I also replaced the old 3 unit lecture and 1 unit lab from orgo 2 with the single, 5-unit combined orgo 2 retake.

So the old courses were completely replaced. Not sure why AACOMAS would tell you otherwise but if I were you I'd try just replacing both of them on my primary. It worked out for me - application was verified with no hiccups.

Thank you!...this helps a lot, I mean this is great. It's interesting that 90% of SDN'ers think this is not permitted

I had a quick question about the 4 credit combined lecture and lab vs 3 credit lecture with 1 credit lab situation.
I called AACOMAS today to ask how to deal with this situation, the lady I spoke with said to separate the original 4 credit combined lecture and lab to two separate entries, one being a 3 credit lecture, and the other a 1 credit lab, as retakes can only count for one course. Sorry if that's confusing, I'm going to call AACOMAS again to clarify what I should be entering because im hesitant to split up a course and list it differently than its listed on my transcript. The lady i spoke to said to just split it and if theres a problem during verification theyll notify me, but i want to make sure there will be no delays in my verification because im already applying late (due to a late mcat). Does anybody have any experience with this sort of situation? How did you enter the classes on the application?

I had a quick question about the 4 credit combined lecture and lab vs 3 credit lecture with 1 credit lab situation.
I called AACOMAS today to ask how to deal with this situation, the lady I spoke with said to separate the original 4 credit combined lecture and lab to two separate entries, one being a 3 credit lecture, and the other a 1 credit lab, as retakes can only count for one course. Sorry if that's confusing, I'm going to call AACOMAS again to clarify what I should be entering because im hesitant to split up a course and list it differently than its listed on my transcript. The lady i spoke to said to just split it and if theres a problem during verification theyll notify me, but i want to make sure there will be no delays in my verification because im already applying late (due to a late mcat). Does anybody have any experience with this sort of situation? How did you enter the classes on the application?

I entered the courses the way they were taken - separately if they were counted separately and together if they were counted as a single course. Unless AACOMAS policy has changed for this cycle, this should work just fine.

I remember asking GUH about this problem a while ago but I am also hearing contradictions from others. But in your case, shouldn't they tell you to combine the original classes of 3+1 lecture/lab into one class? That way your retake will replace those two classes like GUH. I will also be calling AACOMAS and ask them about this situation because I will be retaking classes and they combine the lecture and lab, whereas my originals were separate classes. Maybe we can tell each other what AACOMAS said.

So I just got some bummer news from AACOMAS about trying to replace semester classes with quarter classes.

I originally went to a school on a semester system and it generally took 2 semesters to finish the series. I did badly. I did a post-bac in a school that was on a quarter system and it took 3 quarters to finish the series. I did great in the post-bac. However I could not use the repeat classification on my application.

Here is how it worked for me:
Semester: Physics I 5 credits (semester) Grade: C
Semester: Physics II 5 credits (semester) Grade: C
Quarter: Physics I 3.3 credits (semester) Grade: 4.0
Quarter: Physics II 3.3 credits (semester) Grade 4.0
Quarter: Physics III 3.3 credits (semester) Grade 4.0
AACOMAS via phone call: CANNOT USE REPEAT FUNCTION

This was also true for my O-Chem series.

Bummer. If you repeat do it at the same school or make sure the semester credits are equal!!!

Thank you!...this helps a lot, I mean this is great. It's interesting that 90% of SDN'ers think this is not permitted

Just got verified today, I had same situation and they replaced it.

So I just got some bummer news from AACOMAS about trying to replace semester classes with quarter classes.

I originally went to a school on a semester system and it generally took 2 semesters to finish the series. I did badly. I did a post-bac in a school that was on a quarter system and it took 3 quarters to finish the series. I did great in the post-bac. However I could not use the repeat classification on my application.

Bummer. If you repeat do it at the same school or make sure the semester credits are equal!!!

Ouch. I'm in the same situation, in which I had been thinking that full-year intro bio, chemistry, physics, and organic chemistry sequences would be replaced (for AACOMAS GPA purposes) -- but I re-took these classes at a place on a quarter system and the original courses were on a semester system, so it doesn't work out, credits-wise. It's too bad the system is not flexible enough to view one year-sequence as a replacement for another year-sequence.

Additionally I retook genetics and biochemistry, but these also do not of count for grade replacement, since the quarter credits of the replacements (4) are fewer than the original credits (converted to quarter credits, 7.5 and 6). Sadly, I took two genetics courses at my new school, and but again, the one-to-one correspondence requirement between courses for grade replacement makes it impossible to take this into account, so that two 4-credit courses aren't allowed to replace the original 7.5 credit course. Likewise I took both biochemistry and molecular biology, which would make reasonable (arguably) replacement for the original biochemistry course I took, but that's also not acceptable.

Nothing I re-took qualifies (and I got all As in the retakes). 81 credits worth. Oops.

If it were to be opposite, replacing quarter grades with semester grades, would I only get to replace two of the course grades with the new (semester) ones then?

If it were to be opposite, replacing quarter grades with semester grades, would I only get to replace two of the course grades with the new (semester) ones then?

Yup, that's my understanding! -- But you should call them and confirm for your specific situation.