Grade replacement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illata7een

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm aware that there exist a lot of threads which are related to my topic, however, I have specific questions relating to it that are unique to me. I'm currently retaking the following classes to replace the following prior:

First attempt: BUAD2024 (business financial accounting) Retake: Engineering Economics MIME2010. (descr: Business finance, ecnomics,etc).

First attempt: Orientation to college. Retake: Orientation to Engineering major. ( I received in a C in my first attempt).

First attempt: Project Management. Retake: Microsoft Applications.

First attempt: Comp 2. Retake: Technical Writing.

Question 1 : Will these replace the prior courses?

Question 2: Will they take the highest grade or latest grade? I keep hearing different things. I got a C in one course, retook it the same course and got a D due to some issues. Will they count it as a D or a C?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I don't think any of those would be replaced. They seem to be related in terms of field but they aren't the same classes. Grade replacement needs to be pretty much identical class for identical class.

As to your second question I think most schools take the latest grade but I believe there are a few that take the highest (I might be getting this mixed up with MCAT scores).

Well both of the orientation classes are standard orientation. The only difference is one is for the Engineer majors the other is for the non-Engineering majors.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the first question, I believe if this is done in the same college will most likely not be able to replace it. They may question why you weren't able to take the exact same class if it still exists. However, this will be dependent on who in AACOMAS is checking.

For the second question, they count the latest grade taken. So if you grade went from a C to a D, then the D would count as the replacement grade.

For the first question, I believe if this is done in the same college will most likely not be able to replace it. They may question why you weren't able to take the exact same class if it still exists. However, this will be dependent on who in AACOMAS is checking.

For the second question, they count the latest grade taken. So if you grade went from a C to a D, then the D would count as the replacement grade.

The orientation are from different schools. When I switched from community to uni I signed up as an Engineer major and they made me do the Orientation for uni for Engineers.

The new classes are actually from the new school I transferred too. Orientation for Engineers and Orientation are the same content except the Engineering has extra stuff. I'm just worried because if these transfers don't work I'll have to take a summer off to do these courses.

The new classes are actually from the new school I transferred too. Orientation for Engineers and Orientation are the same content except the Engineering has extra stuff. I'm just worried because if these transfers don't work I'll have to take a summer off to do these courses.

If these were done in a different college, then there is a good chance it will count. If it doesn't, you can also contest it. However, I am unfamiliar as to the process of contesting a grade. It is tough to say, it will up to the person at AACOMAS who is checking your transcript.

Reactions: 1 user
I sent AACOMAS an email because I wanted a response in writing, but no answer after several
Days. Can anyone shed light on this for me? I'm trying to figure out my schedule for next semester.

I took intro honors sociology my freshman year, and want to retake the course this spring. However, my new institution does not offer the honors level of the course. Would a course called "Sociology 110, Introduction to Sociology" from one institution replace a course called "Sociol101-H, Introduction to Sociology" from a different institution in terms of grade replacement

Look at the course description from each class. If they appear to be the same description then there is a good chance there will be no issues having hem replaced. I took courses at 3 different schools over a span of 10 years and did this for all my retakes in order to have grounds to back my decision to consider them a repeat. I had no problems with any of my courses that were put as repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Look at the course description from each class. If they appear to be the same description then there is a good chance there will be no issues having hem replaced. I took courses at 3 different schools over a span of 10 years and did this for all my retakes in order to have grounds to back my decision to consider them a repeat. I had no problems with any of my courses that were put as repeat.

Thank you so much for the informative reply. By the way, my advisor was telling me how "too many repeats" can destroy your medical school chances. What are your thoughts on this? I've retaken many of my pre-requisites but did well the second time around. I have a few W's on my record from not being mentally strong enough to come back from getting academically discouraged.

Thank you so much for the informative reply. By the way, my advisor was telling me how "too many repeats" can destroy your medical school chances. What are your thoughts on this? I've retaken many of my pre-requisites but did well the second time around. I have a few W's on my record from not being mentally strong enough to come back from getting academically discouraged.

The DO retake policy is there to use. Don't worry about the number, as long as you get A's you will be fine.

I would advise you to take as many repeats as necessary to get your gpa competitive. Ensure all prerequisites are at minimum B though mostly A's would be preferable. N=1 but my transcript is littered with F's and W's. I stopped going to school one semester and took straight F's down the board. When I started going back to school my cGPA was a 2.1 (after more than 3 years of school) I retook courses and continued pushing through. When I started going back to school I decided to do it right and focus and it helped I had goals in mind and was a bit more mature. I maintained a 3.9 for my last 90 credits and got my cGPA up to a 3.25 and sGPA to a 3.75.

The point is that overcoming academic performance is attainable but it must truly be overcome. You can't keep bouncing back with a good semester and the not so good. Take the time and effort to succeed and reap the benefits. I did very well during this cycle and my hard work has paid off. It can be done! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I would advise you to take as many repeats as necessary to get your gpa competitive. Ensure all prerequisites are at minimum B though mostly A's would be preferable. N=1 but my transcript is littered with F's and W's. I stopped going to school one semester and took straight F's down the board. When I started going back to school my cGPA was a 2.1 (after more than 3 years of school) I retook courses and continued pushing through. When I started going back to school I decided to do it right and focus and it helped I had goals in mind and was a bit more mature. I maintained a 3.9 for my last 90 credits and got my cGPA up to a 3.25 and sGPA to a 3.75.

The point is that overcoming academic performance is attainable but it must truly be overcome. You can't keep bouncing back with a good semester and the not so good. Take the time and effort to succeed and reap the benefits. I did very well during this cycle and my hard work has paid off. It can be done! Good luck!

Crying because I'm so proud of you.

Nope I don't mind. 488 the first time. Should never have taken it. Wasn't ready. 506 second time. I did not study as efficiently as I could have and I think I still had some anxiety because all my practice scores were ~512-515. Either way I don't have to worry about taking it again haha!

What did you get on the MCAT, if you don't mind me asking?

Nope I don't mind. 488 the first time. Should never have taken it. Wasn't ready. 506 second time. I did not study as efficiently as I could have and I think I still had some anxiety because all my practice scores were ~512-515. Either way I don't have to worry about taking it again haha!

How many practice tests did you end up taking? The MCAT is just a terrible time/rite of passage; once it's over, it's over.

I took 8 FL practice tests. Yes once it's done it's done but still sucks knowing I scored a full 6-10 points below what I was normally doing. In hindsight I'm surprised I did as well as I did. My test was extremely physic heavy and that was my worst subject on the test so after taking that section i was very discouraged and it threw off my rhythm for CARS. After my mid break I decided to give it all I got anyways and see how it went at the end whether I would void or not. I should have voided but i truly just wanted to be done and trusted I would score okay even with the atrocious first two sections. Glad it's over and ready to learn as much as I can in medical school and work hard to kill the boards!

Good luck on your path as well!