MD + Grade Trend. Siren Song?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Franzliszt1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN,

Thanks for taking time to read my thoughts,

I just finished my undergraduate degree. I moved to a college far from home and started with a year of mediocrity. The next year had poorer grades but still salvageable. My upper level cGPA is a 3.853 and two of those semesters were straight As,A+s. Personally, I think my grade trend shows my real abilities and looks beautiful. I'm wondering how much I should let that influence my school selection, since my cumulative is just over 3.6...

Important points

C- in Intermediate German... then earned an A- in advanced german
C in ecology and evolution... then earned an A in biogeography (Those were my two worst grades)
MCAT scored 516

Thanks again for your help

Members don't see this ad.

What is your sGPA ? Where is your state of residence? When are you planning to apply ? Do you have any shadowing of clinical volunteering with patient contact hours ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear SDN,

Thanks for taking time to read my thoughts,

I just finished my undergraduate degree. I moved to a college far from home and started with a year of mediocrity. The next year had poorer grades but still salvageable. My upper level cGPA is a 3.853 and two of those semesters were straight As,A+s. Personally, I think my grade trend shows my real abilities and looks beautiful. I'm wondering how much I should let that influence my school selection, since my cumulative is just over 3.6...

Important points

C- in Intermediate German... then earned an A- in advanced german
C in ecology and evolution... then earned an A in biogeography (Those were my two worst grades)
MCAT scored 516

Thanks again for your help
There are many med schools that give more weight to your last two years than the entire GPA. A cGPA is fine in and of itself.

How are your ECs?

Thanks for the quick reply

My sGPA is just under 3.6, Minnesota resident, Volunteered at two hospitals and also interned at a pain clinic with maximum patient contact.

What is your sGPA ? Where is your state of residence? When are you planning to apply ? Do you have any shadowing of clinical volunteering with patient contact hours ?

Thanks for your reply

sGPA just under 3.6, Minnesota resident, volunteered at two hospitals and interned at a pain clinic with maximum patient contact. Shadowed at a pediatrics clinic. Also I'm an eagle scout.

Thanks again!

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your Minnesota state public schools
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
St.Louis
Creighton
Tulane
NOVA MD