Grades during MS1-MS2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polkadoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently a second year right now and had a few concerns. My first year was rough but it ended well - I received A's in all but one class and ranked 4th in my class. However, this year is much more difficult and I can already tell my grades will be slipping.. Hopefully not below a 3.6 GPA this year.

Thus, my question is.. how much do the first years count? The result of my grades are a combination of nit picky questions, material that was poorly taught or assessed, and personal faults here and there. I have some dermatology research in my background already (and will be doing a full year of research next year).. so if I get a solid score on step 1s, will my grades end up hurting my chances? Especially since most schools don't even give out grades for the first two years..

Sorry if this sounds very neurotic but I'm sure many of you can understand where I'm coming from. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I am currently a second year right now and had a few concerns. My first year was rough but it ended well - I received A's in all but one class and ranked 4th in my class. However, this year is much more difficult and I can already tell my grades will be slipping.. Hopefully not below a 3.6 GPA this year.

Thus, my question is.. how much do the first years count? The result of my grades are a combination of nit picky questions, material that was poorly taught or assessed, and personal faults here and there. I have some dermatology research in my background already (and will be doing a full year of research next year).. so if I get a solid score on step 1s, will my grades end up hurting my chances? Especially since most schools don't even give out grades for the first two years..

Sorry if this sounds very neurotic but I'm sure many of you can understand where I'm coming from. Thanks a lot!

In my opinion, MS1/MS2 grades don't really count that much for any residency. I think the MS3 grades are really really really important. I think the only reason that your MS1/MS2 grades will be important is if your school uses them to determine your AOA status. Otherwise, don't fret. There are other things that you need to worry about besides MS1/MS2 grades in order to match derm (i.e. AOA, all honors in 3rd year, rocking steps, building connections, having several pubs, etc). That's just my 2 cents.

In my opinion, MS1/MS2 grades don't really count that much for any residency. I think the MS3 grades are really really really important. I think the only reason that your MS1/MS2 grades will be important is if your school uses them to determine your AOA status. Otherwise, don't fret. There are other things that you need to worry about besides MS1/MS2 grades in order to match derm (i.e. AOA, all honors in 3rd year, rocking steps, building connections, having several pubs, etc). That's just my 2 cents.

I agree. My grades also slipped 2nd year due to a ton of personal issues, and I was worried about it affecting AOA. However I was still able to make AOA (somehow, ireallydk) and I think that's what makes the difference. I'm not saying I'm doing super well or anything, because I'm not but I don't think the reason would be my 2nd year grades. If you're a strong applicant everywhere else, I would not make any decisions based on your 2nd year grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for all the responses! Hope is slowly being restored. :)

Thank you so much for all the responses! Hope is slowly being restored. :)

Why schools still grade in the first two years is beyond me. Half of it is working toward a avoiding a decubitus ulcer in lectures...

See this article in Academic Medicine, which shows that M1/M2 grades are one of the least important factors for residency program directors.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19240447

I understand that first two year grades don't matter too much, but AOA does right? Doesn't AOA pretty much depend on how well you do your first two years and Step 1 or is this school dependant?

I understand that first two year grades don't matter too much, but AOA does right? Doesn't AOA pretty much depend on how well you do your first two years and Step 1 or is this school dependant?

It's school dependent. Some do it by 3rd year grade only. Some do it by Step I score. Ask your dean's office.

But yes, AOA does matter.