Grades, Grades, GRADES!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a bad start this semester and I am quite down. I performed horribly on both my Physics 2 and Anatomy 2 first exams. I am starting to doubt my abilities. Grades are very important for a competitive application and feel that my A is out of the window for Physics and one exam away for Anatomy. I am thinking about withdrawing from one of the courses to guarantee my A in one, if not both.

How do you feel programs weigh W's on transcripts?

If I can't take both of these courses and perform well at the same time, how will I perform in PT school. :(

Members don't see this ad.

A couple of my professors, who have served on the admission boards for graduate school programs, have told me they rather see a "D" than a "W" on the transcript. The "D" to them means you at least you tried and stuck with it while the "W" stands for quitter.

I'm sure everybody has a different opinion. If this will set you back another year before you can apply to grad school, I would stick with your class and accept your grade.

If you haven't yet, I would also voice your concerns to your professors... never know what they would say.

Hey,

Physics II & Anat II are both really difficult classes. Often times I have a slow start to the semester as well. Just use your bad first test scores as motivation to succeed in the next ones. Anatomy is all about time put it. However much time you put into the last test double and see how you do. Physics II is about concepts, its a tough course but its doable. Is there any review sessions/ supplemental instruction you can go to? If so do it, it will help you out a lot.

Its important to remember you have to take these classes at some point and nothing guarantees you wont do just as bad on your first test again if you decide to retake it.

Don't get discouraged, get motivated. Know that you need to be operating at 100% to get the grade you need. If you slip up and lose your "A" its not the end of the world. It will build character in you that the application committee will be able to see in your interview. If you just quit when it gets hard or doesn't go as well as you'd hoped, what will they think you'll do if you get a "D" on your first test in Biomechanics once your in the program?

If you work hard you will succeed. I got a 7/15 on my first physics 2 exam...I worked hard and ended up with an A. You better believe if that topic comes up in an interview I'll be talking about it.

Everything worth having is worth working for. You can do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You better believe if that topic comes up in an interview I'll be talking about it.

That is a great point. I did horrible on my first Anatomy I test, and worked my butt off only to pull a B- in the class. When this was brought up in my interview, I told my interviewer that while it may not be the highest grade on my transcript, it was the one I was most proud of because I worked the hardest for it. She seemed really pleased and quite surprised at that answer. It's all about how you handle it.

NYCPT, don't get too down. The semester is early and I often find myself in the same situation and finish strong near the end. Honestly, I'd rather have it that way...continued motivation throughout the semester, than to start off well and gain false confidence and slack off towards the end. You are not in the boat alone! Trust me :)

Don't panic! I'm in Physics 2 right now and I have to admit that the 1st exam is HARD! Electricity is a hard subject to grasp conceptually, but it can be done! I didn't do well on my first exam either, but I'm not about to drop the ball on this class b/c my future is on the line here! I'm motivated more than ever and I know that I will prevail in this class! And as far as grades are concerned, be proud with whatever grade you receive! I know I am happy with my grades because I know I WORKED for it all unlike some people, but hey that's their business! Nolegirl, that answer was beautiful. No matter how much they try to bring up negative things from your app in your interview, ALWAYS find a way to make those negatives a positive! I made a C in Microbiology back in my 2009 Spring Semester and if they happen to ask me about it, I am just going to give them a huge smile and talk about how tough the class was for me taking 23 hours that semester commuting between 2 different universities! Confidence is the key to success!

I've been in a Similar predicament with Biology 102 and Anatomy. It was a hard course and I decided NOT to withdraw and took my D. Now Im taking it over. Same with Anatomy. Most programs I visited said they frowned upon "W"s. Also I seriously doubt that you wont excel as a Student PT, because of a lousy Physics grade. Not everyone gets it right the first time. (I can definitely attest to that) Sometimes it takes more than one try. Dont be afraid to take your loss and learn from it and do 100x better the next time around. If you are SERIOUSLY committed to the field of Physical Therapy, you'll take the class as many times as it takes for you to get the grade you want AND master the material. Persistence and drive is definitely smiled upon and goes along away. If asked about the repetitiveness on your transcript you can explain yourself, and you will be honest! not a phony who just wants in like most of the ppl who apply to pt school.

Oh and about W's, if you look at my transcript you'd think I was ******ed or something, lol! I've dropped so many classes due to switching majors (5x) it's not even funny anymore, lol! Don't worry b/c I can bet you anything I have more W's than you!

I had 1 W on my transcript and it was in Psychology of Women (it is a lot harder than I thought). However, I do believe that they look into transcripts because I took mostly 2 science courses and sometimes 3 sciences courses in the same semesters before (really can't avoid taking one at a time with an ex science degree). I did OK in my sciences courses and did poorly on my psychology classes and elective classes because I prioritized thinking those would be easier. I think they did see that in my trasncripts and also wrote about it on PTCAS.

I've actually heard that W's look a whole lot better than failing grades. Granted, you probably shouldn't make a habit of it!

Don't beat yourself up over it though. Those are 2 very tough classes. Just keep in mind that things will be graded on a curve (most schools anyway). Also, have you tried tutoring or study groups or something? Maybe you just need to go about learning in a different way to turn things around? Whatever your decision, I'm sure it will be alright :) hang in there!

Thank you for the overwhelming support. You guys actually helped me get through a tough day!!!! I started off Anatomy 1 and Physics 1 stronger, so I guess I was expecting to duplicate the same results. I wanted to get an A in Physics this semester as I had gotten a B in Physics 1 and said not again, I am going to get an A this semester. I spoke with my professor and she said my grade was the average, but that didn’t make me feel any better. Yes, two really hard classes but I assume that we will have to deal with tougher when are in PT school, so I am trying to prepare myself.
I think I am going to stick it out, and just try my best to knock it out of the park. You guys gave me the confidence to continue. Thank you!!!