Grades High Enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OGLoc23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've nearly completed the barebones prereqs as a post-bacc and I'm wondering if I need to take a few upper-level bio classes to increase my gpa. Trends seem to be important, so I've made a table depicting the steady increase in my grades from first year to post-bacc:

Grades.jpg

The low sgpa of my freshman year is due to a lazy first attempt at premed and the sgpa of my senior year were psych-related courses for my major (biopsych, evol. bio, etc.).

Overall, my stats are the following:
cgpa: 3.48 (including post-bacc; 3.40 not including)
sgpa: 3.53
post-bacc: 3.97​

What do you guys think? Do I need to take some upper-level bio courses?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your post-bac work has been nothing short of phenomenal. A school that believes in second chances would probably be happy to have you.

Look into schools with some GPA ranges that include yours and come up with a list. If your GPA from undergrad fits in their range, and you meet their other criteria (instate/service/whatever), i'm sure they'd be impressed with the maturity and work ethic you seem to have developed after graduation.

Anyway, best of luck. See what others say.

Reactions: 1 users
If you performed at the same level or even a little better on the MCAT, relatively speaking, and if you have good letters of rec, etc. I don't see why you would be viewed as an uncompetitive choice. Good work on that post-bacc. Sometimes those are hard to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both! Very reassuring to hear.

If only we could sticky this thread so that every person who lament their chances for medical school after making a A- can realize what a true successful uphill battle looks like.

Good job OP.

Yeah, you're in good shape to apply with this GPA. You would see very diminished returns by now. You've accomplished enough to show your trend, and taking science classes would be a lot of work to boost a sGPA from 3.54 to a 3.56. Work hard on the MCAT and make sure your EC's are good, and you've given it as good of a shot as you can.

What an amazing job OP. Stop stressing bro. From the work ethic I see on those numbers, you don't have to worry. Just keep at it, apply broadly, and best of luck to you on your MCAT if you haven't taken it yet!

Reactions: 1 users
That's a great upward trend and there are plenty of med schools that reward reinvention. Just do well on MCAT and you're set.

I've nearly completed the barebones prereqs as a post-bacc and I'm wondering if I need to take a few upper-level bio classes to increase my gpa. Trends seem to be important, so I've made a table depicting the steady increase in my grades from first year to post-bacc:

View attachment 207294

The low sgpa of my freshman year is due to a lazy first attempt at premed and the sgpa of my senior year were psych-related courses for my major (biopsych, evol. bio, etc.).

Overall, my stats are the following:
cgpa: 3.48 (including post-bacc; 3.40 not including)
sgpa: 3.53
post-bacc: 3.97​

What do you guys think? Do I need to take some upper-level bio courses?

Thank you all for your feedback! I plan to take the MCAT in the Spring, so I'll be sure to do well on it.