Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Grades Slipping. Drop Scribing?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by MaybeDr, 05.15.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. MaybeDr

MaybeDr 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Last edited: 04.23.15
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    Very sorry to hear of your poor luck. That VR score is lethal. Are you ESL?

Proper time mgt skills are a must in medical school. You're taking 12 credits, working 20 hrs in the lab, and scribing, but a B is not lethal. You must figure out what your priorities are. Scribing is a good experience and getting paid is even better. BUT, if it's going to affect your grades, the scribing has to go. You can always find clinical experience elsewhere. It doesn't always have tobe in a hospital.

4. Planes2Doc

Planes2Doc 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Stop scribing. Your grades and MCAT are far more important than this clinical job. These entry-level clinical jobs are dime a dozen. They won't set you apart, and definitely will not make up for poor grades and MCAT score. Drop it, and stick to time-friendly things like hospital volunteering.

5. MaybeDr

MaybeDr 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm not ESL. I thought I bombed Physical Science, Ha.. 95 percentile. That sent me into a minor panic because I know the answer to almost every question but one or two for certain (had an AAMC avg on PS of a 13.33). On top of that the finger scanner bugged out costing me 2 or 3 minutes I came back from break with 9 seconds left on break to get to my computer sit down and put my earplugs in. That sent me over the edge.

It just feels inhumanly possible to write a 6 page research manuscript, study for 2 really hard finals exams, defend my research in front of a committee and do 2 10 hours shifts all in one week. I don't even think time management is the issue doing all of that and getting straight A's is just literally impossible without being a genius.

Another factor in it is I have the opportunity to be a tutor that teaches classes on campus, but I only have shot at the job if I get an A in this molecular genetics class. I just had an interview for it today and it seemed like it went really well.

I feel like being a tutor plus volunteer experience at a hospital looks better than just scribing but that could just be me. Leadership+clinical experience+grades or high stress clinical experience+pay+meh grades.

About the ads