Grading System

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prospectiveApp

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone post what the grading scheme is like at UMDNJ-SOM, NYCOM, UNECOM, and PCOM?

Also if you know what the exam schedules are like and amount of lecture time, that would be great if you could post that as well.

One more thing, if you know whether the school has a scribe service or not.

Thanks in advance.

prospectiveApp

Members don't see this ad.

I'll add a question about LECOM. How does their "ABC" grading system compare to other programs who use pass/fail, or pass/honors/high honors? Specifically, how do the different systems stack up to Residency Directors?

good question-i would like to know too.

Members don't see this ad :)
PCOM is number. No letters here.

Exams are scored by dividing number right by number of questions. You get a numerical grade, ie: 75.8%

Your GPA is also a number. ie, GPA = 84.5

No HIGH PASS/PASS/FAIL system. There are a few P/F courses, but they don't get factored into your quality points.

UMDNJ-SOM uses the following grading system:
fail/low pass/ pass/honors/high honors/. As for schedule, they post it on their webpage. Try this address:

Fall semester

If the above link does not; try this on:

First and second year schedule They have a PBL program. But it isn't being offered to the class of 2007. I believe it is an alternate year program. I hope these links answer some of your questions about UMDNJ-SOM. you can browse their site to gather more info about the school!!!!!!!!!!!

Some food for thought regarding PBL (a term that makes me cringe).

There have been some studies that suggest that students who do the PBL curriculum have lower average board scores than their traditional curriculum counterparts.

I don't have the exact link, but I know it has been brought up on SDN in the past.

AZCOM is on percentage as well 70-79%=C 80-89=B etc.. anything below 70 is failing. grades are based on overall point achieved in the class. ex in biochemistry there is a total of 425 points availible based on 4 exams so all you have to do is keep track of your points to see how well you are doing in a class. overall gpa is based on the percentage as well, but there is no class ranking system that is released to dicourage competativeness and encourge us to work as a community.
No HIGH PASS/PASS/FAIL system. There are a few P/F courses, but they don't get factored into your quality points and are usually electives such as "sports medicine, accupuncture, spanish, etc...

exam schedule here is on every monday morning from 7-11 (usually) so we have 1 test per week on mondays (there are exceptions sometimes we will have an additional test on wed or thurs but they try to spread them out)..sorta ruins the weekend but it also thins out the material as we only have 1 or 2 tests to study for and not 5 or 6.

Originally posted by swaamedic
AZCOM is on percentage as well 70-79%=C 80-89=B etc.. anything below 70 is failing. grades are based on overall point achieved in the class. ex in biochemistry there is a total of 425 points availible based on 4 exams so all you have to do is keep track of your points to see how well you are doing in a class. overall gpa is based on the percentage as well, but there is no class ranking system that is released to dicourage competativeness and encourge us to work as a community.
No HIGH PASS/PASS/FAIL system. There are a few P/F courses, but they don't get factored into your quality points and are usually electives such as "sports medicine, accupuncture, spanish, etc...

exam schedule here is on every monday morning from 7-11 (usually) so we have 1 test per week on mondays (there are exceptions sometimes we will have an additional test on wed or thurs but they try to spread them out)..sorta ruins the weekend but it also thins out the material as we only have 1 or 2 tests to study for and not 5 or 6.

Since when do they give letter grades? Also, rest assured, you are ranked 1-last based on your numerical GPA--and they will tell you your rank toward the end of second year.

NYCOM is honor/pass/fail.

Honoring is top 10% of class

Pass is the mean minus 1 standard deviation

Fail is anything below that