Graduate and do a post-bacc or stay longer in undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmnfive

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it better to just graduate and then complete a postbacc? or is it better to complete the pre-reqs during undergrad?

i did a search (at the risk of being tarred and feathered for bringing up an issue that has probably been beaten to death) and got mixed messages, but let me convey what im reading so far

1. post-baccs are pretty competitive, so doing well in a post bacc program is advantagous if you dont complete the classes needed before undergrad

2. a con to this would be it would possibly take longer--as some programs are longer than others depending on where you go

3. a good option would be get a masters in bio or chem which fills allot of the science requirements, and from what i've read so far, it improves your application and academically strengthens your preperation for med school.

4. other than that, completing everything beforehand seems to yield some rather well saved time

im sure i'll come across more info once i finish reading all the posts -- it'll take me a while -- but any feedback, info, or comments in the meantime would be great.

thanks guys, i appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

This totally depends on your current undergraduate GPA. If it is salvagable, i.e. in above 3.2 or so, then there's no problem in continuing as an undergrad.

However, if your undergraduate GPA is shot then it's better to just finish up the bachelor's degree and start with a relatively clean slate in a masters or post-bacc program.