This is not a real scenario in this country, but what you are describing sounds very similar to the situation in Denmark (and probably in other countries with highly socialized medical systems, I just know about Denmark from a Danish doctor I worked with at the NIH). Essentially, all medical school expenses (tuition, books, living) are subsidized for students there by the government, but doctors are not highly paid upon graduation (she described it as about the same pay as high school teachers receive, but I would bet their teachers are better compensated than ours here). I would take this option to work in a system like that, but not in this country, where I will have to pay higher medical costs, education for my children, and save more for my retirement. If all I had to worry about was paying for my personal expenses (housing, food, etc) and medical, educational, and much of the retirement costs for myself and my family were covered (as they are in Denmark), then $50K/yr would be plenty to live off of and I would be happy to trade a lower salary for being debt-free and able to do what I want to do.