Graduated 5 years ago and deciding to retake courses. Need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemonxlime

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I currently work full-time and am trying to take a couple courses before applying to medical school. I graduated from undergrad in 2015z

Prior to graduating, I received As and Bs in all of my bio and chemistry courses. Physics was the only course I received a C in.

Though I took, biochem in the past and got an A, it was 6 years ago. I feel like I would benefit since I don’t remember much from that course. Do you recommend that it is okay to retake this course at a different university? Do you recommend I take other upper level courses instead? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Following this post, as I'm the same boat with similar questions.

Reactions: 1 users
I graduated in May 2016, so I am in a similar boat. I feel like taking an entire class again should be when you absolutely have no idea what's happening (so you don't know the content whatsoever). Personally, I think the information is in my head, but I just have to bring it to the forefront. At the same time, is it financially feasible and time-wise possible to take classes again? Will you be working full time and studying too? Looking at it from an admissions perspective, I don't think it would be seen in a negative manner to re-take classes as it will be for your long-term goals.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

I currently work full-time and am trying to take a couple courses before applying to medical school. I graduated from undergrad in 2015z

Prior to graduating, I received As and Bs in all of my bio and chemistry courses. Physics was the only course I received a C in.

Though I took, biochem in the past and got an A, it was 6 years ago. I feel like I would benefit since I don’t remember much from that course. Do you recommend that it is okay to retake this course at a different university? Do you recommend I take other upper level courses instead? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Are you using biochem to study for MCAT, or to prepare for med school, or just personal gain? The answer differs for each of these...
I did not remember a lick of Biochem when I was in first year of med school( which was a long time ago)... but I had to pick it up quickly- 1 month was just dedicated for all of these courses- biochem/genetics/cellbio/mol bio... No amount of prestudying was gonna help in med school...
MCAT prep is kinda different where you have to study more for the test itself... but again the test formats have changed since when i took it..so others may be able to advise you on it.
If you are doing it for personal gain, then do it, whatever that floats your boat...

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys for the responses. I need to boost up my GPA, it’s a 3.55 right now, so that’s my main reason for taking courses. Also I learned a lot of medical schools want more recent coursework as well, so I’m taking a couple of upper level courses before applying next year.

I’m taking biochem, because I honestly don’t remember much and I do much better in a classroom environment than studying on my own.

I have the means to take a course while working full-time. By taking 1 course this will give me enough time to focus on studying for the MCAT as well and re-learning information I think will be important for both medical school and the MCAT. The only courses that fit with my schedule are either A&P and Biochem in the Fall. I decided to go with Biochem, but do you think maybe I should go with A&P instead? I’ve never taken that course before.

Also, I do not have the means to stop working and enroll FT in school. It’s not possible for me at this time.

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks

Thanks guys for the responses. I need to boost up my GPA, it’s a 3.55 right now, so that’s my main reason for taking courses. Also I learned a lot of medical schools want more recent coursework as well, so I’m taking a couple of upper level courses before applying next year.

I’m taking biochem, because I honestly don’t remember much and I do much better in a classroom environment than studying on my own.

I have the means to take a course while working full-time. By taking 1 course this will give me enough time to focus on studying for the MCAT as well and re-learning information I think will be important for both medical school and the MCAT. The only courses that fit with my schedule are either A&P and Biochem in the Fall. I decided to go with Biochem, but do you think maybe I should go with A&P instead? I’ve never taken that course before.

Also, I do not have the means to stop working and enroll FT in school. It’s not possible for me at this time.

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks

As I recall, I graduated with 3.54, so we're pretty much in the same ball park with GPA. I think my science GPA was stronger than the non-science courses. So, I can see you reason to taking a couple more courses to get the GPA up. As I recall, some schools admit students even around 3.0, but the students would have other strong points on their application. However, your primary reason to be in a structured course can definitely help you grasp the content.

Considering things are still in COVID, then I guess we have to wait and see how in-person classes will happen. Each university is taking it step by step, but I think things will be in-person in the fall 2020. Worst case scenario is all virtual via zoom, but I can't predict that. As I recall, Lehigh should offer some biochem courses. Next option might be Desales or Moravian I think. Those small community schools don't have the higher level courses the last time I checked a few years ago.

I took A&P in 2012 I think. And then another brief anatomy course in 2016 I think. In all honesty, for the MCAT, the anatomy is so brief and minimal. You don't really get too deep into it as an A&P course. Just a brief anatomy of structures and organs I think is important to be familiar with them. When I took A&P back in 2012, I spent a lot of time memorizing content. Anatomy is pure memorization and it gets very intense at times. For he MCAT, the anatomy is very superficial. However, physiology is important because you will be tested on all of those systems in some way. Granted, I think Khan Academy and other YouTube videos can give you the necessary information for anatomy and physiology I feel.

So, i suggest that you guys should try contacting a few admissions offices and asking them about expiration dates for the old courses. If your old courses have good grades, and wont expire yet, i personally would not retake them. Instead, i would just prepare for MCAT well, and, if you have extra money or want to raise your GPA, maybe take advanced anatomy and physiology, or genetics, or immunology, or microbiology, or virology. Something like that. And Khan academy is a blessing.
also, i signed up to a few courses through edx.org, - highly recommend. They are free.

Reactions: 1 users