Graduated from medical school a while back...Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mission84Possible

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Long time lurker, and this is my first post.
I have been a Carib grad from 2012. Not good years 1-2 scores on my resume. Excellent clinical grades in years 3 and 4 (in the US East coast).

Step 1 - 190/77 ( Nov 2009)
Step 2 CS - pass
Step 2 CK - 1st attempt fail (in dec 2011)
Step 2 CK - 2nd attempt: 212 pass (Oct 2016)

I was only able to apply in mid November since I got my scores in end of October. Applied to both FM and IM programs purely based on prior contacts. What are my chances?

I struggled with significant personal matter and had to work odd jobs in order to pay for my exams. Once I passed my exams, new opportunities opened up which allowed me to get observerships...doing that plus studying for step 3 in the mean time. My gap in my education has been a huge detriment. Any chances I can get in this year?
- Hopeful

Members don't see this ad.

Had one opportunity from a friend at an IM program...

Very few interviews are happening this month and next as most of them have been completed. My personal opinion is that you applied too late to get in for this cycle and will likely have to apply next year. Make sure to send everything out on the first day.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,
Long time lurker, and this is my first post.
I have been a Carib grad from 2012. Not good years 1-2 scores on my resume. Excellent clinical grades in years 3 and 4 (in the US East coast).

Step 1 - 190/77 ( Nov 2009)
Step 2 CS - pass
Step 2 CK - 1st attempt fail (in dec 2011)
Step 2 CK - 2nd attempt: 212 pass (Oct 2016)

I was only able to apply in mid November since I got my scores in end of October. Applied to both FM and IM programs purely based on prior contacts. What are my chances?

I struggled with significant personal matter and had to work odd jobs in order to pay for my exams. Once I passed my exams, new opportunities opened up which allowed me to get observerships...doing that plus studying for step 3 in the mean time. My gap in my education has been a huge detriment. Any chances I can get in this year?
- Hopeful
I am concerned about the fact that you passed Step 1 in November 2009, or more than 7 years ago.

Most state licensing boards require that you pass all 3 steps within a 7 year period. Have you verified that you are applying to states without such limits?https://www.fsmb.org/licensure/usmle-step-3/state_specific

Reactions: 4 users