Graduated with a BS in bio....what a useless degree for a job..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corporateflea

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
graduated from a mid-tier UC campus with cGPA of 3.85 and sGPA of around 3.9 ish
research experience as a undergrad for 3 years
degree in biology...
typical premed ECs (volunteering, shadowing , mission trips or what have you..)
currently working part time at a non-profit org as a webmaster

i'm taking a gap year and i'm looking for a full time job right now...mostly as research associate or research assistant...

hoping at around ~30k a year or ~15hr to 18hr salary...

am i being too ambitious?...i got like 1 interview out of maybe 20~30 application....is this typical? i'm worried that it might be the way my resume is written...are employers aware from my resume that i'm planning to apply to med school and disregard me since they know i won't be able to work more than a year or year and a half? ...maybe i should take out all these "hospital volunteering" from my resume? at this rate...i think i'll just find a tutoring job for $20+ hr since i have experience tutoring at my university in bio (but the experience won't as enriching for me)....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

any tips would be great...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Find a post-bacc training program (usually universities have it) which is designed to give you experience in research for one year, along with a 22k+ pay.
Yeah I know it's low, but better than nothing!

Majoring in bio for entering med/pharm school is not worth it. People should pick an undergrad major they are truly interested in.

Members don't see this ad :)
don't get me wrong..i chose bio because i was interested in it..not because of med school...it just happened to satisfy all the pre-reqs..

so moral of the story is...don't expect to find a full time job? are employers not favorable to my application due to the stigma of preparing my resume for med school (hospital volunteering ect...)?

I am in the same boat as you, corporateflea. I recently graduated from a UC that was actually ranked third in world research influence (as measured by the number of times its published work is cited by academics).
Despite my laboratory training and experience, I have yet to find a full-time, research associate position. I have had a couple interviews at UCSF Medical Center (not chosen for one position due to lack of research experience, still waiting to hear back on another).
From my interviewing experiences (in which the interviews consisted of the PI and other lab members interviewing me all at once, btw), they were actually pleased to hear that my eventual plans were graduate school- it shows to them that not only are you intelligent and driven, but also committed in whatever you do (which is surely a GREAT trait for a potential employee).
They just like to know that you have at least a year to contribute to the lab and their current projects. In fact, many research associate positions that have been listed on major research-focused institutions, have temporary employment dates (i.e. "employment to end as of June, 2012), etc.

Good luck!!!

You are not restricted to applying to jobs related to biology. Many companies do not care what type of degree you have, they just want to know you are able to complete a bachelor's degree.

Majoring in bio for entering med/pharm school is not worth it. People should pick an undergrad major they are truly interested in.

I hate it when people say this. Who says that someone who is majoring in a type of Biological Science isn't interested in it?

You are not restricted to applying to jobs related to biology. Many companies do not care what type of degree you have, they just want to know you are able to complete a bachelor's degree.

ha, that's a joke. Maybe 15 years ago, but the economy today demands specialized positions for 95% of the jobs out there. Plus, there is intense competition for every job, even stocking shelves at Target. Applying for a management or financial position with a biology degree is akin to pissing in the wind. Everyday, I regret going into biology. Even though I love the subject matter, the only positions you get are bitchwork jobs with very little room for advancement.

To the OP, you didn't mention your MCAT score and the schools you applied to. If everything is in order, then perhaps something other than your numbers is holding you back (eg committee/LOR/PS/secondaries).

Jobswise, every resume should be tailored to the job in question. You can have a template, but emphasize your skills for each job you apply to. Don't mention volunteering/med school plans at all. If you get a job interview, tell them what they want to hear. Employers have no problem ****ing you in every sense of the word, so don't feel like you owe them anything.

Jobswise, every resume should be tailored to the job in question. You can have a template, but emphasize your skills for each job you apply to. Don't mention volunteering/med school plans at all. If you get a job interview, tell them what they want to hear. Employers have no problem ****ing you in every sense of the word, so don't feel like you owe them anything.

I don't think this point is emphasized enough on this site. The single gap year concept is something that is going to hold back a lot of people looking for a job. An employer is not going to want to hire someone who only plans to stay for less than one year and is only using them as a small stepping stone to medical school.

I hate it when people say this. Who says that someone who is majoring in a type of Biological Science isn't interested in it?
I think the point is a lot of people pick biology as their major because "it is what med students are supposed to major it." If someone is genuinely interested in bio, by all means major in bio, but if they major in bio because they think they are supposed to, that is the problem.

I'm a molecular and cell biology major and I couldn't imagine majoring in anything else to be honest. So yes I am genuinely interested in Biological Science, it was not just for the sake of being pre-med.

might be a silly question, but have you tried contacting the labs that you've worked for as an undergrad? Express your interest, even perhaps offer to take a part time position? It's probably still better than being unemployed.

People I know have had luck with cold calling researchers and asking if they could possibly work in their lab. A lot of times when this works I feel like the researchers know they need someone there but they are too busy/distracted/focused (basically too much like a researcher) to actually hire someone.

Another poster said it on the thread but you can get a job outside the lab. My first real job outside college, besides being a tutor, was as an interim science teacher at a high school for kids with learning and behavioral disorders. Now I am working at a law firm doing work with patented chemical formulas.

Also, try craigslist. I was in your situation (20-30 apps before getting an interview) on career websites but when I started using craigslist I could get one like every few applications (less people use it).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the point is a lot of people pick biology as their major because "it is what med students are supposed to major it." If someone is genuinely interested in bio, by all means major in bio, but if they major in bio because they think they are supposed to, that is the problem.
I personally find some parts of Bio boring (Genetics would be a prime example), :eek: I know how sacrilegious. I couldn't possibly see myself as a Bio major because of those particular topics.

so i guess it's definitely not my interest to have all those clinical- ECs on my resume eh?... i think this is holding me back a big time..

too many bio and science graduates vs amount of jobs

go to sciences next door

aka food science or agricultural stuff

there are jobs there after BS, and since most of the people who work right out of BS in thesee fields have a low GPA (non med gunning) of 2.5-3.2 (non masters gunning) your higher GPA would give u a big boost

too many bio and science graduates vs amount of jobs

go to sciences next door

aka food science or agricultural stuff

there are jobs there after BS, and since most of the people who work right out of BS in thesee fields have a low GPA (non med gunning) of 2.5-3.2 (non masters gunning) your higher GPA would give u a big boost

Yeah you should work for a microbrewery that would be awesome

Would a minor in something business related be of any help (ie. marketing)? Asking for future reference, but I'm sorry there's limited job availability. Look into something in the animal sciences department maybe?

so i guess it's definitely not my interest to have all those clinical- ECs on my resume eh?... i think this is holding me back a big time..

Yes. And if you only put in 20-30 applications, that's also holding you back. I was laid off from my lab (an academic research lab at a University) a year and a half ago, and I probably put out about 120 applications, got 8 interviews, and 3 offers. You're going to have to put out more applications if you want a research spot, and you're going to have to throw your resume in the ring for research jobs you don't think you can get.

I didn't think I would be considered for my current job because I had no histology experience, but my previous research experience was something my PI was interested in. Play up your previous experience in research in your resume if you want those positions.

In addition, put your GPA, rounded to the nearest point, in your resume. It can definitely turn an eye, especially if it's from a UC.

Finally, keep in mind that it's extremely unlikely that any lab will hire you if you openly tell them that you're only willing to work for one year; most labs want a two year commitment because training a new research employee takes a humongous amount of work and money for about a year, starting with the hiring process. That's not to say you should lie, mainly because you might ruin a relationship with someone who might be an important mentor later, but it may be a reason that you're having trouble landing the interview.

I'd think there are two main problems with you trying to find a job with your degree:
1) 20-30 apps is on the low side
2) It's a gap year, as said earlier, most labs want a 2 year commitment UNLESS you can show that you require minimal training.

So first, apply to more positions. Second, make sure you have an awesome looking resume. In some way, shape, or form discuss what lab techniques you can perform (are you trained on TEM, SEM, AFM, ect. anything that might be useful to a lab).

Yes. And if you only put in 20-30 applications, that's also holding you back.
[...]
Finally, keep in mind that it's extremely unlikely that any lab will hire you if you openly tell them that you're only willing to work for one year; most labs want a two year commitment because training a new research employee takes a humongous amount of work and money for about a year, starting with the hiring process.

These are both great points. When hiring an entry level position in my lab after the economy crashed, we got hundreds of resumes within a week of posting. Many of these included people with quite a bit of experience (career techs), and several with master's degrees. So even if you're a great applicant that is very hireable, it may just come down to applying broadly. Also keep in mind that equal opportunity hiring practices that may or may not be enforced in many large research institutions make it so that the jobs must be posted... even if the PI already has someone he/she wants to hire in mind. In that case, they'll likely peek at your resume but unless you completely blow them out of the water, that job has already been taken by someone else.

Also, if you really want a shot at a worthwhile lab job, I would personally extend your gap year to 2 years. IF the lab just needs someone with skillsets that you are already solid in and you need minimal training, they may make an exception... but when looking through resumes, I automatically tossed the ones that said they're hoping to matriculate in a year. If you want this experience to help boost your chances with med school, it might be good to go for 2 years. If you don't, you'll hardly have much time to get things accomplished. Your PI is much more likely to have great things to say about you after 16 months vs. 4 months. Same goes for possibilities for major pubs.

I was truly interested in medicine. Unfortunately, that's not an undergrad major. Biology was clsoe enough.

Is Biochem better? As far as finding a good job?