Graduating Economics Major from a University - CC Pre-reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dbomb10634

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a big life decision ahead of me. I am an Economics major graduating from DePauw University May 2012. My mom is a Dentist and has convinced me it is the way to go. I have not completed any pre-reqs at my university and was wondering if I could take them all at a CC within a year and then get into dental school? Since I will have a BA already from a 4-year college do you think admissions will be more lenient accepting these courses from a CC? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Dan

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you have looked at the course prereqs for a dental school quite yet.

Most are:
1 year Physics
1 year gen chem
1 year O-chem
1 year biology

some also require:
Microbio
biochem

Goodluck packing all those into 1 year lol. Search on here for a while and you will get the info you need. :)

I'm just curious, why would you choose economics as your major and then choose dentistry, a field where you will be much more likely to succeed with a science background?

I think that running your own practice will utilize the tools of economics majors I suppose.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just curious, why would you choose economics as your major and then choose dentistry, a field where you will be much more likely to succeed with a science background?

I think that running your own practice will utilize the tools of economics majors I suppose.

I am a Finance major and I am going into dentistry... I am guessing that like me, the OP chose his/her degree before knowing that they wanted to do dentistry.

i've never heard of anyone being less successful because they come from a non-science background. Once in d-school, everyone is on the same level. I'm also a non-trad like Bereno and i'm absolutely fine with my non-science degree.

i've never heard of anyone being less successful because they come from a non-science background. Once in d-school, everyone is on the same level. I'm also a non-trad like Bereno and i'm absolutely fine with my non-science degree.

I agree. I graduated with a B.S. in Psychology from my university (Texas A&M). I was accepted to 2 of the 3 texas schools, the only dschools I applied to anyways. I don't think schools like for everyone to be science majors anyways. The idea with dental schools is that they can take someone from any educational background and produce a great clinician, provided that you take, and do well in the prerequisites and on the DAT. True, someone from a science background will be more familiar with some classes like biochem, micro, anatomy, and etc but doesn't mean anyone without a science degree will be any less successful.

Last edited:
Man, I only have a few minutes but I will try and post that document that shows the acceptance rates for each undergrad major... Its pretty much 40% for everything if memory serves me correctly. Either way, like others have said, your undergrad degree doesn't really seem to matter.

You will be at a slight disadvantage during the pre-clinical courses as many classmates already are much more familiar with the material.

Last edited:
I was an econ grad with no science background. What I did was I took all the gen chem physics, biology, a&p in one year, then I took both organic chemistry courses in the summer and applied in the fall. It's not ideal, but it's doable, and I received multiple offers of admission.

You will be at a slight disadvantage during the pre-clinical courses as many classmates already are much more familiar with the material.

Where did you take your science courses? Were they at a university or community college?

Also to answer some of the above questions: essentially my goal was to go into investment management or trading. After an interview at a prop firm where I had 20 mental math questions that had to be answered in under 10 seconds each such as 236*54.. I realized this is not the field I want to go into. Also, I feel like dentistry is a much more stable job with the current state of the economy. Since my mom runs her own practice it will make for a smooth transition out of dental school as well.