Graduating EM resident - ask away, anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It is a really great thread. Thank you.

Q - What fellowship can a ER physician go into. Like Family medicine physician can do fellowship in obgyn, Neurologist can do fellowship in something brain related i guess etc. Is there any specific field of specialization for ER doc? And are fellowship worth it money wise, how much does you pay increases with fellowship?

Q - Also, what are the chances for ER physician to go into academic medicine. Can he be a faculty or professor in medical school?

Thanks alot.
 
How often do you have high-stress cases like car-crashes where patients are critical, etc? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question, television has probably ruined my perception of the ER. Also, can you describe how much of the diagnosis process you go through as an EM? Can you diagnose complex cases or is it mostly just general diagnosing and admitting difficult cases?

1. Car crashes are protocol. ABC. Check for things that'll kill the patient first. I look for anything that obstruct airway like a facial fracture or bloody oropharynx. Then I check for breathing - mainly look for pneumothorax and flail chest. Then I check for circulatory issues such as tamponade or bleed.

Then after that - I go through a protocol for the particular injury. Imaging as needed, stabilize, transfer if needed.

2. I try to diagnose as best as I could or at least some sort of a more narrowed differential. Take for example if someone comes in with these vitals:

80/50, 130HR, 103.7, and 80yo man.

First thing I think about is sepsis. Could it be something else? Like TCA overdose? Yes.

But the common thing is to treat it symptomatically first, then treat the killers next.

This guy would get IV/O2/monitor. Cardiac tests including EKG and troponins. Then I would get basics labs like a CBC and VBG. Then I would check for sources like a UA, CXR, possible CT. I would also get blood cultures and then add on some antibiotics (go wide then narrow as inpatient). The guy would also need some IVF (2-3L) and if he doesn't respond, he would need some pressers after the 4th liter (though that may be a bit too much for an 80yo to handle). He may also need to be intubated to relieve himself of some precious energy that could be used to fight the infection instead.

After that, I'd admit to ICU. Call it sepsis until proven otherwise, the docs in the unit can figure out exactly if it was toxin mediated, pneumonia, urosepsis, or whatever else it could.

If the guy didn't have a fever, I'd probably put an ultrasound probe on the guy's IVC to differentiate between volume depleted and volume overloaded states. If depleted, I'd think sepsis vs anaphylaxis. If overloaded, I'd think thrombosis (PE) vs CHF.

Then again, it could be a red herring like spinal shock (I've seen that).

So many issues could be causing it... it's a FANTASTIC feeling to crack the case.

That's EM.

If you like that, you're made for EM.
 
It is a really great thread. Thank you.

Q - What fellowship can a ER physician go into. Like Family medicine physician can do fellowship in obgyn, Neurologist can do fellowship in something brain related i guess etc. Is there any specific field of specialization for ER doc? And are fellowship worth it money wise, how much does you pay increases with fellowship?

Q - Also, what are the chances for ER physician to go into academic medicine. Can he be a faculty or professor in medical school?

Thanks alot.

1. Fellowships are plentiful. Ranging from toxicology, ultrasound, sports medicine, administrative, critical care, international medicine, wilderness medicine, etc.

2. ER attending can go into academics much like anyone else can in any other field - you would just have to stick to your field. You just apply to an academic ER and when you get that spot, you'd be an academic attending. You teach residents, interns, and students who rotate through. You'd give lectures at the associated medical school. You'd give lectures, you'd do research.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In your contract, whats your schedule? What opportunities are there to advance in the ER field
 
Last edited:
As an EM Intern,

What books should I use to study for the in service? There is no way i'll get all the way though Tintinelli's before feb. Is there an online question bank somewhere?
 
I am really small (like, 4'10") and my husband asked me the other day if that would be a problem with some procedures ('like setting a big guy's leg' is what he said). I laughed and said I didn't think it was a big deal, but wanted to make sure it wasn't. Could it be a problem? Granted, I'll continue on to EM even if it does present a few difficulties, but I was just curious.
 
first off thanks for all the insight. this is probably the best thead i've seen on here for a long time. i too have a question similar to the fri727's. how much 'heavy lifting' or how much physical work would one have to do? i injured my back a while back, worried if this line of work would aggrivate (sp?) it.

also out of curiosity... how many frequent flyers do you get per day?
 
Thanks for taking the time to answer all of our questions. I really appreciate it. What kind of research can you do in EM? I know you said you researched how to improve times, etc. But what about researching improvements to CPR or stuff like that?
 
I am really small (like, 4'10") and my husband asked me the other day if that would be a problem with some procedures ('like setting a big guy's leg' is what he said). I laughed and said I didn't think it was a big deal, but wanted to make sure it wasn't. Could it be a problem? Granted, I'll continue on to EM even if it does present a few difficulties, but I was just curious.

From what I've seen from working right along side ED physicians. It would be rare if at all. For us, at least, all our beds are adjustable to very low to very high. You could also always have a ortho ed consult for problematic setting.
 
Thanks again for taking the time to answer all our questions. This is one of the best threads I've read.

I've had EM as a top choice for residency ever since volunteering at a local ED as a sophomore in college (I'm fully aware that I may change my mind after M3). My question is, given how intense a job an EP has, at what point do you become reasonably confident that you can tackle any situation that may confront you? As exciting as I find EM, I'm worried that I'll be utterly clueless for a while and will freeze up during an emergency or two. Did you experience a similar feeling prior to starting residency?
 
Thanks again for taking the time to answer all our questions. This is one of the best threads I've read.

I've had EM as a top choice for residency ever since volunteering at a local ED as a sophomore in college (I'm fully aware that I may change my mind after M3). My question is, given how intense a job an EP has, at what point do you become reasonably confident that you can tackle any situation that may confront you? As exciting as I find EM, I'm worried that I'll be utterly clueless for a while and will freeze up during an emergency or two. Did you experience a similar feeling prior to starting residency?
I'd like to know this as well
 
As an EM Intern,

What books should I use to study for the in service? There is no way i'll get all the way though Tintinelli's before feb. Is there an online question bank somewhere?

I would pick up River's review books, index cards, and 1000 questions.

Make sure you do all of 1000 questions and try to get through the index cards. Read Tintinalli through the years and the River's books after each chapter/section of Tintinalli so you get the details and hi yield stuff.
 
Thanks again for taking the time to answer all our questions. This is one of the best threads I've read.

I've had EM as a top choice for residency ever since volunteering at a local ED as a sophomore in college (I'm fully aware that I may change my mind after M3). My question is, given how intense a job an EP has, at what point do you become reasonably confident that you can tackle any situation that may confront you? As exciting as I find EM, I'm worried that I'll be utterly clueless for a while and will freeze up during an emergency or two. Did you experience a similar feeling prior to starting residency?

Do you mean did I freeze up during residency? Uh... yes.

There are still some that stop me on my tracks now... but I know what they are. I'm working on becoming completely whole.

I think you need to be an attending for 3-5 years to feel very comfortable. I'm not exactly there yet but I'm probably comfortable with 95+% of everything I see.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for taking the time to answer all of our questions. I really appreciate it. What kind of research can you do in EM? I know you said you researched how to improve times, etc. But what about researching improvements to CPR or stuff like that?

Many from qualitative to quantitative studies. You can do tox research to information synthesis questions (like how much do the patients who roll through the ER really know about swine flu, about heart attacks, about stroke, etc).
 
I am really small (like, 4'10") and my husband asked me the other day if that would be a problem with some procedures ('like setting a big guy's leg' is what he said). I laughed and said I didn't think it was a big deal, but wanted to make sure it wasn't. Could it be a problem? Granted, I'll continue on to EM even if it does present a few difficulties, but I was just curious.

Probably a little tough at times but we have another senior 4th year resident about that height and she is spunky and does fine (to tell you the truth, she's probably spunkier than me). You're probably not the go to guy or gal for huge dudes who dislocated their shoulder or hips... but you can have techs help you.
 
In your contract, whats your schedule? What opportunities are there to advance in the ER field

Opportunities to advance include administration (assistant med director<med director<regional director, etc).

Also, partnership.

Or.. you can be a baller and own your own group and net millions a year. And own a jet. Yes... one of our grads did just that.
 
Thanks a lot for doing this thread! It's great to hear your experiences and opinions on all of this stuff. Much appreciated!
 
Are the residents at your hospital as miserable/cynical as many of the residents on this forum?

Was everyone chief resident at your residency or was it only saved for a special someone?

Did you see any URMz residents/attendings during your residency? And if so, what specialties were said URMz in?

What were some of the most exciting things you experienced as a resident?

When was the first time you dropped the ball and almost killed/maimed a patient? What happened?

And lastly, do you even lift?
 
1. Car crashes are protocol. ABC. Check for things that'll kill the patient first. I look for anything that obstruct airway like a facial fracture or bloody oropharynx. Then I check for breathing - mainly look for pneumothorax and flail chest. Then I check for circulatory issues such as tamponade or bleed.

Then after that - I go through a protocol for the particular injury. Imaging as needed, stabilize, transfer if needed.

2. I try to diagnose as best as I could or at least some sort of a more narrowed differential. Take for example if someone comes in with these vitals:

80/50, 130HR, 103.7, and 80yo man.

First thing I think about is sepsis. Could it be something else? Like TCA overdose? Yes.

But the common thing is to treat it symptomatically first, then treat the killers next.

This guy would get IV/O2/monitor. Cardiac tests including EKG and troponins. Then I would get basics labs like a CBC and VBG. Then I would check for sources like a UA, CXR, possible CT. I would also get blood cultures and then add on some antibiotics (go wide then narrow as inpatient). The guy would also need some IVF (2-3L) and if he doesn't respond, he would need some pressers after the 4th liter (though that may be a bit too much for an 80yo to handle). He may also need to be intubated to relieve himself of some precious energy that could be used to fight the infection instead.

After that, I'd admit to ICU. Call it sepsis until proven otherwise, the docs in the unit can figure out exactly if it was toxin mediated, pneumonia, urosepsis, or whatever else it could.

If the guy didn't have a fever, I'd probably put an ultrasound probe on the guy's IVC to differentiate between volume depleted and volume overloaded states. If depleted, I'd think sepsis vs anaphylaxis. If overloaded, I'd think thrombosis (PE) vs CHF.

Then again, it could be a red herring like spinal shock (I've seen that).

So many issues could be causing it... it's a FANTASTIC feeling to crack the case.

That's EM.


If you like that, you're made for EM.
That's so cool. 😍
I am really small (like, 4'10") and my husband asked me the other day if that would be a problem with some procedures ('like setting a big guy's leg' is what he said). I laughed and said I didn't think it was a big deal, but wanted to make sure it wasn't. Could it be a problem? Granted, I'll continue on to EM even if it does present a few difficulties, but I was just curious.
To add on to what pinipig said, I've personally shadowed an EM doc of about that height, and she never had any problems (then again, she worked in a peds ER) 😀
 
Thanks a lot for doing this thread! It's great to hear your experiences and opinions on all of this stuff. Much appreciated!

AGREED. I can't express enough how grateful I am, that pinipig and theprowler and nicknaylor and all those residents/students/administrators have continued to give their time and effort to providing valuable info to us naive premeds. Maybe I'll donate now. Thanks again pinipig523. You're awesome.
 
Also, partnership.

Or.. you can be a baller and own your own group and net millions a year. And own a jet. Yes... one of our grads did just that.


What?? What does it take to set up and own your own group? Did he/she have business experience?
 
Last edited:
1. Car crashes are protocol. ABC. Check for things that'll kill the patient first. I look for anything that obstruct airway like a facial fracture or bloody oropharynx. Then I check for breathing - mainly look for pneumothorax and flail chest. Then I check for circulatory issues such as tamponade or bleed.

Then after that - I go through a protocol for the particular injury. Imaging as needed, stabilize, transfer if needed.

2. I try to diagnose as best as I could or at least some sort of a more narrowed differential. Take for example if someone comes in with these vitals:

80/50, 130HR, 103.7, and 80yo man.

First thing I think about is sepsis. Could it be something else? Like TCA overdose? Yes.

But the common thing is to treat it symptomatically first, then treat the killers next.

This guy would get IV/O2/monitor. Cardiac tests including EKG and troponins. Then I would get basics labs like a CBC and VBG. Then I would check for sources like a UA, CXR, possible CT. I would also get blood cultures and then add on some antibiotics (go wide then narrow as inpatient). The guy would also need some IVF (2-3L) and if he doesn't respond, he would need some pressers after the 4th liter (though that may be a bit too much for an 80yo to handle). He may also need to be intubated to relieve himself of some precious energy that could be used to fight the infection instead.

After that, I'd admit to ICU. Call it sepsis until proven otherwise, the docs in the unit can figure out exactly if it was toxin mediated, pneumonia, urosepsis, or whatever else it could.

If the guy didn't have a fever, I'd probably put an ultrasound probe on the guy's IVC to differentiate between volume depleted and volume overloaded states. If depleted, I'd think sepsis vs anaphylaxis. If overloaded, I'd think thrombosis (PE) vs CHF.

Then again, it could be a red herring like spinal shock (I've seen that).

So many issues could be causing it... it's a FANTASTIC feeling to crack the case.

That's EM.

If you like that, you're made for EM.

I'm definitely interested in EM. 👍
 
What?? What does it take to set up and own your own group? Did he/she have business experience? What does it take to be successful?

I dont know if he had business experience because he is about a decade my senior. It probably would be best to assume he has some business sense but he started his group in Houston and is making bank. He has several stand alone ERs. Guy pays us well too. He is richer than the guy with the garage.

Come on now man... You're in the big leagues now, son.

Lol... I had a medical director tell me that when I was interviewing for a job a few months ago and I almost fell out of my chair laughing!
 
thanks for taking the time to answer these! has definitely somewhat made the struggle between choosing EM/anesthesia easier.

question: would it be okay to apply to/interview at a residency program (EM) where i dated one of the residents? he would be a PGY-2 next year. it ended worse for me, since he was the dumper, but i think we could be professional if we had to work together. any experience with this? haha
 
You said ask anything, and I'm surprised it took this long but...

Are you seeing more and more of a prevalence in DO's that go into emergency medicine? I've worked in an ER the past three years on and off (love it by the way) and have noticed each time I go back there are more osteopaths popping up. I've asked around and this seems to be the trend in my area.

Your being in Chicago, I already assume there's quite a showing of them, but I was just curious.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You said ask anything, and I'm surprised it took this long but...

Are you seeing more and more of a prevalence in DO's that go into emergency medicine? I've worked in an ER the past three years on and off (love it by the way) and have noticed each time I go back there are more osteopaths popping up. I've asked around and this seems to be the trend in my area.

Your being in Chicago, I already assume there's quite a showing of them, but I was just curious.

That's because no one cares about DOs lol!
 
You said ask anything, and I'm surprised it took this long but...

Are you seeing more and more of a prevalence in DO's that go into emergency medicine? I've worked in an ER the past three years on and off (love it by the way) and have noticed each time I go back there are more osteopaths popping up. I've asked around and this seems to be the trend in my area.

Your being in Chicago, I already assume there's quite a showing of them, but I was just curious.

Good question 👍

Interested in OP's insight as well.
 
thanks for taking the time to answer these! has definitely somewhat made the struggle between choosing EM/anesthesia easier.

question: would it be okay to apply to/interview at a residency program (EM) where i dated one of the residents? he would be a PGY-2 next year. it ended worse for me, since he was the dumper, but i think we could be professional if we had to work together. any experience with this? haha

Awkward!
 
Fantastic thread thanks. I was intereted in EM before and this only helped. My question is: ignoring a personal opinion, do you think EM in general is accepting of visible tattoos? The rest of my questions have been answered.
 
thanks for taking the time to answer these! has definitely somewhat made the struggle between choosing EM/anesthesia easier.

question: would it be okay to apply to/interview at a residency program (EM) where i dated one of the residents? he would be a PGY-2 next year. it ended worse for me, since he was the dumper, but i think we could be professional if we had to work together. any experience with this? haha

From my understanding, PGY2 have no power in the selection process. Usually, seniors have the sway.

Just don't piss anyone off and don't piss him off. Don't even let him know you're applying there. Just do and be gone. Let them fairly assess you.

And no... I have no experience with that. 🙂
 
You said ask anything, and I'm surprised it took this long but...

Are you seeing more and more of a prevalence in DO's that go into emergency medicine? I've worked in an ER the past three years on and off (love it by the way) and have noticed each time I go back there are more osteopaths popping up. I've asked around and this seems to be the trend in my area.

Your being in Chicago, I already assume there's quite a showing of them, but I was just curious.

Dude.. I love DOs. At first I thought they were "inferior"... just because of my lack of experience/stupidity with them and from reading all those threads on SDN. However, DOs are every bit as good as MDs are in my experience. We've had DO chief residents and several of the faculty including some of the best ones are DO.

Love DOs.
 
Winning! Thanks for this thread. Not only has it been interesting, but inspirational.

You are the equivalent of a SDN rockstar 👍

AGREED. I can't express enough how grateful I am, that pinipig and theprowler and nicknaylor and all those residents/students/administrators have continued to give their time and effort to providing valuable info to us naive premeds. Maybe I'll donate now. Thanks again pinipig523. You're awesome.

Thanks fellas.

BTW, I just got accepted to another job today... it's nice to know that even in a recession, I'm getting multiple job offers. And all pay very well.

Those who are thinking EM, you guys should heavily consider it. I'd love to have competent colleagues.
 
Last edited:
Thanks fellas.

BTW, I just got accepted to another job today... it's nice to know that even in a recession, I'm getting multiple job offers. And all pay very well (lowest offer is over 300K just to give you guys an idea).

Those who are thinking EM, you guys should heavily consider it. I'd love to have competent colleagues.

I'm a couple-three years away from feeling comfortable applying to med school, but EM is definitely high on my list.
 
Are the residents at your hospital as miserable/cynical as many of the residents on this forum?

Was everyone chief resident at your residency or was it only saved for a special someone?

Did you see any URMz residents/attendings during your residency? And if so, what specialties were said URMz in?

What were some of the most exciting things you experienced as a resident?

When was the first time you dropped the ball and almost killed/maimed a patient? What happened?

And lastly, do you even lift?

pinipig, what say you? Thanks brotha!
 

hahaha word. i've decided i'll just apply there and let the chips fall where they may. the program is too good to pass up just because he's there, and i'm not about to let some douchelord get in the way of my career.

Dude.. I love DOs. At first I thought they were "inferior"... just because of my lack of experience/stupidity with them and from reading all those threads on SDN. However, DOs are every bit as good as MDs are in my experience. We've had DO chief residents and several of the faculty including some of the best ones are DO.

Love DOs.

DOs love you too! 😉
 
4. I wish I could say I honored everything and got a 250+ steps. I did well but not that well. If I had gotten that score, I'd be lying to myself if I didn't say that I'd probably do plastics.

sorry if this is a bit too direct....but seeing as you weren't shy talking about salary I'm hoping you won't mind sharing the following:
1. what was your step 1 score?
2. how were your 3rd year grades?
3. how many places did you apply and how many interviews did you get?
4. which was objectively the "best" or most competitive program you applied to and did you get an interview there?
5. In your opinion what kind of stats (step 1 score) would you need to be a competitive candidate at some of the most competitive programs?
 
I rule out stuff in the ER as a general principle. I make sure that the emergencies won't kill or harm the patient. I also practice good patient care and good customer service (this is key). Yes... it may involve some kissing up, but that's the field.

As for my personal life.... I'm not sure how this affects it. I can say that I'm fully prepared for anything that may happen in my day/day life. If I'm in a plane and someone has an arrest, I'm your man.

I don't ruminate about being sued... just yet. As a resident, you're pretty bullet proof.

As an attending, I plan on practicing safe and good medicine. It also helps that I'm moving to a state with good malpractice laws and tort reform. You'd have to be NEGLIGENT to be sued successfully.

That reminds me of this lol
2011-10-12-Airplane-Emergency.png


also heres a couple questions, in your time working in the ER, what has been:
1.) the worst case you ever had to deal with?
2.) your favorite case thus far
3.) most challenging case up to date? (this may or may not be the same as #2 idk)

also,
-have you ever just completely froze and not know what to do? what do you do when this happens?
-do you like that your contact with a patient is basically until they are stable? do you ever wish you could follow up with certain people?
-have you ever done/seen something that made you "lose sleep"?
-what do you do with people who are drug seekers? feed the trolls or let them wait while you attend to more important things?
-have you ever had to attend to an emergency outside of the ER?
-have any of your patients in the ER ever approached you outside of a medical setting and asked you for medical advice etc? If yes, how do you respond to them?
(if anything strikes you as uncomfortable don't answer but i'd love to hear it if you can answer)

Thanks!
 
That reminds me of this lol
2011-10-12-Airplane-Emergency.png

This reminded me of this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/24/health/24doctors.html?pagewanted=all

Dr. Matthew Rhoa is still haunted by one of his lowest moments as a physician. Several years ago, on the first leg of an international flight, he was just settling in for a nap when a flight attendant came on the public address system to ask, "Is there a doctor on the plane?"
Dr. Rhoa, who lives in San Francisco, didn't push his call button. "As a gynecologist, I always waited for another doctor," he said. "There's never a need for a Pap smear at 30,000 feet."
He fell asleep, only to be awakened an hour later by a second call for medical help. This time he answered, and at the back of the plane he found two anxious parents with their 18-month-old toddler, who had a cast on her broken leg and was crying inconsolably.
The girl's toes were blue. Limbs can often swell in flight, and it was clear that the cast was much too tight. Dr. Rhoa slit the cast and pried it open. The girl stopped crying at once.
"I have been riddled by guilt to this day," said Dr. Rhoa, who now promptly answers every call for medical help on a plane. "I never want that feeling again of a kid suffering like that when I could have done something sooner."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks fellas.

BTW, I just got accepted to another job today... it's nice to know that even in a recession, I'm getting multiple job offers. And all pay very well (lowest offer is over 300K just to give you guys an idea).

Those who are thinking EM, you guys should heavily consider it. I'd love to have competent colleagues.

pinipig, why do you try to convince me to change my focus out of CT surgery? (more like reading this thread is opening my eyes to EM)

Is it true that CT surgery may not be a great route to take because of the new treatments in cardiology? I had this come up during an interview w/ a ped card as well as other physicians.
 
My social life now is a lot less busy. I am married so I like hanging out with my wife. In undergrad, it was mostly hanging with the guys and then my girlfriend (who is my wife now). The majority of what I did was take advantage of LANing. Call of Duty 1 had just come out, Counterstrike, StarCraft, Warcraft 3... so many games, so much hilarity! Beer and video games made for a hilarious nightly routine.

And here I thought I was the only guy pursuing a career in medicine who played CS. To this very day I still miss the competition and camaraderie of it. It's hard to explain to someone who didn't compete in CS, go to LANs, etc. I ended up in Texas, Virginia, Toronto, among others. I even had the opportunity to play in Korea but didn't.

Between being a cop and going back to school full-time I owned a LAN center. I'm so glad I took that foray - I suspect there will never be a day in my life again when I'm able to be that care free.

Did you compete in LANs or just get together with friends?
 
pinipig, why do you try to convince me to change my focus out of CT surgery? (more like reading this thread is opening my eyes to EM)

Is it true that CT surgery may not be a great route to take because of the new treatments in cardiology? I had this come up during an interview w/ a ped card as well as other physicians.

Take caution... that's just my perception of things.

We will always need cardiothoracic surgeons but not at the rate there were before. The market is probably already thinned out by now, if you want to pursue it... don't do EM, do CT surg and be happy man. They make more anyway.
 
sorry if this is a bit too direct....but seeing as you weren't shy talking about salary I'm hoping you won't mind sharing the following:
1. what was your step 1 score?
2. how were your 3rd year grades?
3. how many places did you apply and how many interviews did you get?
4. which was objectively the "best" or most competitive program you applied to and did you get an interview there?
5. In your opinion what kind of stats (step 1 score) would you need to be a competitive candidate at some of the most competitive programs?

1. Step 1 = mid 220s, Step 2 = mid 230s
2. M3 grades = range from P to HP to H
3. I applied to 40 and got interviews to 37.
4. Best program? At the time, I probably thought Wash U or U Mich. Got interviews in both. But ranked Cook County #1.
5. To be competitive - I think mid 220s to 230s are solid. The higher the better of course. If you beat my steps, you're a shoe in.
 
Last edited:
And here I thought I was the only guy pursuing a career in medicine who played CS. To this very day I still miss the competition and camaraderie of it. It's hard to explain to someone who didn't compete in CS, go to LANs, etc. I ended up in Texas, Virginia, Toronto, among others. I even had the opportunity to play in Korea but didn't.

Between being a cop and going back to school full-time I owned a LAN center. I'm so glad I took that foray - I suspect there will never be a day in my life again when I'm able to be that care free.

Did you compete in LANs or just get together with friends?

Dude, I would get annihilated in competition. Strictly for fun. But my friends did compete on events.