graduating gift

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hematosis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my best bud is graduating this year from pharmacy school and i'd like to get him something nice related to his profession. Perhaps something that he will use. For example, I would like to receive a nice stethoscope or some surgical equipment. Are there anything that most graduating pharmacist need? my budget is up to 300. Thanks folks.

Members don't see this ad.

Get him a counting tray with a ninja turtle on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a nice plaque with the oath of the pharmacist engraved that I hang on my wall. I also kinda like my laser inscribed mortar and pestle. I have to say though, the best gift is always cash :)

This is pretty awesome (you can send the remainder to me ;)):

http://shop.healthcarelogistics.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=C554

51Tvh7M5rvL._SL500_SL160_.jpg

A pharmacist has very little use for surgical equipment

Prayer beads, top shelf liquor, new glassware for the liquor :love:

Too many good suggestions! I got him a custom fitted white coat and i'm thinking of getting the Dr. Seuss or the pharmacy oath idea. I would get him money and I do think it would be convenient for both of us but I need him to get thrilled lol, because I am competing with his girlfriend and I want to prove that our bromance is the real deal.

Bose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones. Worth every penny!!
(and they come in handy at work when the customers get uppity)

I also have a mortar and pestle that has my name, PharmD on it. While I would never actually use this one, it looks beautiful sitting on my desk!

When I say Sparda posted in this thread, I was excited to see what item sparda would suggest. A lap dance perhaps? Hookah? A flask for hiding alcohol while at work? A ridiculous sound system for the pharmacy?

Sparda, I am sorely disappointed in your reasoned and appropriate response to this topic. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
When I say Sparda posted in this thread, I was excited to see what item sparda would suggest. A lap dance perhaps? Hookah? A flask for hiding alcohol while at work? A ridiculous sound system for the pharmacy?

Sparda, I am sorely disappointed in your reasoned and appropriate response to this topic. ;)

A lap dance would be a nice gift too.

A supply of adult diapers and a picture of a unicorn. :smuggrin:

On a serious note, money....to help pay that first student loan payment :p

No really, without knowing your friend's likes, it's a hard question to answer. What practice setting will he be practicing in?

So my best bud is graduating this year from pharmacy school and i'd like to get him something nice related to his profession. Perhaps something that he will use. For example, I would like to receive a nice stethoscope or some surgical equipment. Are there anything that most graduating pharmacist need? my budget is up to 300. Thanks folks.

My vote is for lots of booze, hookers, and unmarked bills. If he doesn't appreciate those gifts, I'd be careful keeping him around as a friend...

A supply of adult diapers and a picture of a unicorn. :smuggrin:

On a serious note, money....to help pay that first student loan payment :p

No really, without knowing your friend's likes, it's a hard question to answer. What practice setting will he be practicing in?

Here is the funny part. He entered the match, matched to his top residency and now he wants to pull out and work. I guess he signed a contract with one of the retail pharmacy agencies his freshman year and accepted a huge loan amount. Now, if he wants to continue with residency, he will have to pay the retail pharmacy their money back. Its a big mess. Btw, he would absolutely love a lap dance, booze, hookers . Or a special "rub and tug" massage.

Here is the funny part. He entered the match, matched to his top residency and now he wants to pull out and work. I guess he signed a contract with one of the retail pharmacy agencies his freshman year and accepted a huge loan amount. Now, if he wants to continue with residency, he will have to pay the retail pharmacy their money back. Its a big mess. Btw, he would absolutely love a lap dance, booze, hookers . Or a special "rub and tug" massage.

Does he realize pulling out of the residency will possibly ruin him in hospital/academic pharmacy for a loooooonnnnggg time?

Why did he enter the Match (binding contract) when he already had a contract in place with another organization? Or, at least, did he not anticipate this potential conflict?

Yeah I don't get this either. :confused::confused::confused:

A gift worth more than three hundred dollars.... Telling him he better just pay that **** back and stick it out with the residency. Maybe you can donate that three hundred toward what he owes the retail company.

Why did he enter the Match (binding contract) when he already had a contract in place with another organization? Or, at least, did he not anticipate this potential conflict?
Probably forgot about the contract, if it was something that was signed early P1 year, 4 years go by and lots of things change.

Maybe your gift to him would be a contract lawyer :smuggrin:

I would vote no on a mortar/pestle since it seems cliche and likely that somebody else got him one. I would go less for something related to profession (since you already did the white coat) and go more for something personal, depending what he's into. Maybe a set of clubs, engraved flask or pistol, set up a fishing trip, etc.

Edit: didn't read the part about $300. How much did you already spend on the coat? What's the remaining budget?

Probably forgot about the contract, if it was something that was signed early P1 year, 4 years go by and lots of things change.

Maybe your gift to him would be a contract lawyer :smuggrin:

I would vote no on a mortar/pestle since it seems cliche and likely that somebody else got him one. I would go less for something related to profession (since you already did the white coat) and go more for something personal, depending what he's into. Maybe a set of clubs, engraved flask or pistol, set up a fishing trip, etc.

Edit: didn't read the part about $300. How much did you already spend on the coat? What's the remaining budget?

You guessed right. Four years later and you tend to forget your promises. At least for him, anyways. This is very unfortunate because someone else could have filled that residency spot and, from my understanding, it will now be closed.

As for the coat, it was about $100 (Its the Giorgio Armani pharmacy line, kidding of course).

A gift worth more than three hundred dollars.... Telling him he better just pay that **** back and stick it out with the residency. Maybe you can donate that three hundred toward what he owes the retail company.

Its a good idea. Unfortunately, 300 wouldn't even be a chip to that 10k loan he accepted from the retail company.

Its a good idea. Unfortunately, 300 wouldn't even be a chip to that 10k loan he accepted from the retail company.

In all seriousness, that's a tough situation. I guess it depends what he really wants to do career wise. If he is fine with retail, he could decide to back out of the residency but he would have to know that it's frowned upon and the pharmacy worldis pretty small. It would make it very hard to secure hospital/clinical positions in that region and maybe elsewhere. Will the company allow him to complete the residency and then work at one of their locations afterwards? Loans are deferred for residency anyways....just a thought.

It's really a shame.

I would get him a plane ticket voucher that he can redeem any time. Just don't pick United. They suck.

Buy him one of those expensive frames that has his school's pictures on it and a place for his degree. They usually cost around $200.

If he wants to be stucked with retail for a really long time then work for a retail chain... but big effing deal, get another private loan to cover the 10k hole and pay it back quickly <1 year with residency money...