Graduating psych residents…Job offers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
18 months into my job and figured I'd share how I got it/where I'm at.

Started applying seriously around Dec of PGY-4. Was pretty sure I wanted to stay in academia and had a particular academic center in in the midwest where I knew the dept chair. Applied to 2 posted jobs there that I really wanted but was too late for both (one position they'd just offered to someone who accepted, the other they'd just interviewed someone accepted shortly after). Had previously spoken with the chair and knew they were interested in trying to develop an ER psych team, so proposed a position which was approved.
Assistant clinical professor
M-F 6am-2pm covering complex ER consults (~2-3/day) for large academic center, work with psych SW/RN team
Outpatient telehealth consult clinic ~6 hrs/wk in the early afternoon
ECT 3-4 mornings per month supervising residents (by choice)
Back-up main C/L team supervising residents when they're short (by choice to pad RVUs and because I enjoy it)

Weekend call Q6wks supervising residents with another ER doc, $1k/day ($2k/day if solo attending) + RVUs
Overnight call Q6wks overnight for 1 week, residents are first call. In my 8-9 weeks of call I've gotten 2 "overnight" calls total and neither were after midnight.

No mid-level supervision.
Non-solicitation agreement but no non-compete.
There some expectations of academic/research/administrative projects or roles if seeking promotion. I do have some projects/roles and would like to get more involved, but I haven't felt pressured to do anything.
Leave accumulates per 2 wk pay period, can accumulate up to 40 days of vacation and sick (each)
5 days/yr for CME
Initial base of $210k/yr for first 12 months
After 12 months is RVU based and updates quarterly based on previous 12 month total, currently making equivalent of $240k/yr (~4100 wRVUs)
Weekend call added ~$25k for the past year
Bi-annual bonus totaling ~$25k/yr
Will gross ~$270k for this year, hoping to be around $280k next year

Additional 9% retirement bonus that scales up to 18% after 12-15 years (~$20k currently)
Additional $15k in benefits (health, HSA, term life insurance, etc)
Several other options for tax-deferred accounts
ETA: $5k annually for CME

Total compensation is over $300k for the past year.

Tl;dr I proposed/created an academic position in the midwest doing psych ER consults, joined ECT team by choice, and small outpt consult clinic. Salary is standard for the institution ($210k base for year 1, then RVU based), compensated call Q6wks, bi-annual bonuses, additional retirement help from institution and state benefits. Total compensation with benefits is currently a little over $300k. No mid-level supervision. No non-compete. Opportunities to take on/make admin/research roles as I'd like. Feeling pretty happy and supported with where I'm at. Team is flexible and covers for each other well. My role will be shifting next year to a more traditional C/L role with a little better schedule by my choice. Overall I like where I'm at and am hoping to be here long-term.

Good jobs are out there, and new grads shouldn't be afraid to propose positions to employers if they see a service in need.
Support is key, especially first few years out of training..

Members don't see this ad.

Assistant Psychiatrist at an academic site in MA

The position was created based on my interest; however, I plan to get better clarification next week.
- 222K base + 40K sign-on, optional weekend rounding 4x yearly (I think they want me to do this for yr 1). FFS with an additional ~$20k. Extra for additional call. + Benefits package (unsure $$). Unsure about CME (time or $$). Maybe 2-4 weeks vacation (per benefits page but will clarify).
- 1.0 FTE 40 hrs
- 0.6 FTE rotating cross-coverage (two sites within 1/2 mile) => 6 pt max. FFE for every additional pt.
- 0.2 FTE TMS/ketamine (may increase to 0.4)
- 0.1 Consults
- 0.1 Academic/Admin

Thoughts? What more should I clarify? I feel the base is low, but I don't have many resources to compare for academic sites (old MGMA, glassdoor, indeed, Doximity). I know academics can be low, but I wasn't expecting this low for this region/COL.

My goal was to do more C/l and neurotherapeutics with an eventual transition to a geripsych unit. Mentorship is available for career advancement and in-house training. I am fellowship-trained.

I'm awaiting different offers too.

The position was created based on my interest; however, I plan to get better clarification next week.
- 222K base + 40K sign-on, optional weekend rounding 4x yearly (I think they want me to do this for yr 1). FFS with an additional ~$20k. Extra for additional call. + Benefits package (unsure $$). Unsure about CME (time or $$). Maybe 2-4 weeks vacation (per benefits page but will clarify).
- 1.0 FTE 40 hrs
- 0.6 FTE rotating cross-coverage (two sites within 1/2 mile) => 6 pt max. FFE for every additional pt.
- 0.1 Consults
- 0.1 Academic/Admin

Thoughts? What more should I clarify? I feel the base is low, but I don't have many resources to compare for academic sites (old MGMA, glassdoor, indeed, Doximity). I know academics can be low, but I wasn't expecting this low for this region/COL.

My goal was to do more C/l and neurotherapeutics with an eventual transition to a geripsych unit. Mentorship is available for career advancement and in-house training. I am fellowship-trained.

0.1 is painfully low amount of academic/admin time. If they can scratch the consults (which will be a huge pain for only 0.1 FTE or drop to 0.5 FTE IP) that would definitely help. Otherwise if it's doing what you want to be doing and can find a way to get some retention bonus in there, sounds like it would check a lot of boxes. If you need/prioritize money obviously this will not be job #1, but it's pretty cool to do neurotheraputics + IP and eventually do geropsych if that's your jam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking currently for a part time gig to fill out my week.

Got an offer from an academic gig for part time. Several days a week for inpatient coverage. Has residents/students at site. They requested restrictive covenant/ non compete for it (lol). I said no, and said I don’t need benefits. They said call is required (phone), and quarterly weekend rounding. I said no - I said they can reach out to me if they would be interested moving forward.

So they ended up reaching out. Said they could 1099 the job and drop all call. I’m considering what to ask for dollars wise? My main gig is at 150/hr with benefits just down the street. I’m going to meet again with them soon.

I enjoy inpatient and teaching but I’m not sure what to ask for. I’m considering asking for 200/hr, though I think I’d be willing to do it at 175.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Looking currently for a part time gig to fill out my week.

Got an offer from an academic gig for part time. Several days a week for inpatient coverage. Has residents/students at site. They requested restrictive covenant/ non compete for it (lol). I said no, and said I don’t need benefits. They said call is required (phone), and quarterly weekend rounding. I said no - I said they can reach out to me if they would be interested moving forward.

So they ended up reaching out. Said they could 1099 the job and drop all call. I’m considering what to ask for dollars wise? My main gig is at 150/hr with benefits just down the street. I’m going to meet again with them soon.

I enjoy inpatient and teaching but I’m not sure what to ask for. I’m considering asking for 200/hr, though I think I’d be willing to do it at 175.

I'd say ask for $200; it's not so crazy high that they'll write you off as unserious or difficult and hey, they may go for it.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd say ask for $200; it's not so crazy high that they'll write you off as unserious or difficult and hey, they may go for it.
it's also setting them up for the 175 counter, which he said he wanted. They may even offer 180 and think they're getting a steal.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup, I made $150/hour working weekend IP as a CF2 (I had passed adult boards to be fair) and that was several years ago, with inflation since that time I'm sure it's at least $175/hour now.

Was going back in this thread trying to compare, I see a ton of people posting academic jobs, but im curious about the people working regular outpatient jobs?
Got the below posting from a place just outside of the city I did residency. Got it near the start of my 4th year (2.5 years ago). Got basically the same posting 6 months later but the base salary increased to $325k, guaranteed loan assistance increased to "$150K-$200K", and option for inpatient/outpatient mix was added. Apparently someone in the class below me signed with them the next year for $275k salary and $200k loan assistance. Just another example of why residents should talk with each other and recent alums from their programs about jobs, as my former co-resident should have been able to get another $25k+/yr salary from them.

Position for telemed Psych physician:
  • Starting base salary $300K
  • $50K Sign On, $150K guaranteed student loan assistance
  • Top 1% hospital and affiliated with Mayo Clinic
  • Hospitalists cover the medical care component for psychiatric patients
  • Clinic located across from Hospital
  • Flexibility, Teamwork and supportive organization are huge selling points
  • Psychiatric Evaluations and medication management for patients aged 18 and above
  • Very flexible schedule, 8 hours per day
  • 2 Telemed docs and a Med Director currently

Reactions: 4 users
County. CDCR pays above 300/hr here.
Oof my bad, I meant what county location wise haha. But if it’s county inpatient, I’m assuming it’s a PHF? Can you give more details of the job hours and how many patients you’re expected to see?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oof my bad, I meant what county location wise haha. But if it’s county inpatient, I’m assuming it’s a PHF? Can you give more details of the job hours and how many patients you’re expected to see?

California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

They're usually looking in places like Stockton.

You'll be seeing people with chains connecting their wrists and ankles to prevent them from getting you.

That being said, it's a neat system. Stephen Stahl leads the psychopharm consultation service for the system. People talk about it in the state hospital / corrections circles I am in as one of the best opportunities, provided one is interested in non- LA, SF, or SD California locations.

County inpatient in California is probably closer to half that, if that.

Got the below posting from a place just outside of the city I did residency. Got it near the start of my 4th year (2.5 years ago). Got basically the same posting 6 months later but the base salary increased to $325k, guaranteed loan assistance increased to "$150K-$200K", and option for inpatient/outpatient mix was added. Apparently someone in the class below me signed with them the next year for $275k salary and $200k loan assistance. Just another example of why residents should talk with each other and recent alums from their programs about jobs, as my former co-resident should have been able to get another $25k+/yr salary from them.

Position for telemed Psych physician:
  • Starting base salary $300K
  • $50K Sign On, $150K guaranteed student loan assistance
  • Top 1% hospital and affiliated with Mayo Clinic
  • Hospitalists cover the medical care component for psychiatric patients
  • Clinic located across from Hospital
  • Flexibility, Teamwork and supportive organization are huge selling points
  • Psychiatric Evaluations and medication management for patients aged 18 and above
  • Very flexible schedule, 8 hours per day
  • 2 Telemed docs and a Med Director currently

My impression is seems like major hospital systems are paying more than other people for outpatient psych jobs because they look at psych clinics not as profit generators but more of an access to care component for the community and other providers in the system to refer to.

So my hospital system was giving a lecture on wrvus and they accidentally shared how many rvus each of the neurosurgeons, orthos, other surgical fields are generating a month and i was blown away, lol. made my RVUs like trivial by comparison. It seems like hospitals can afford to pay more because they get their money from the surgical fields, grants, donations, etc. Whereas private clinics dont have the other sources of funding and patient volume is the primary source of revenue, so youre inclined to see a higher number of less sick people vs hospital system you see moderate to sicker people but less volume.

thats what it seems like to me so far

My impression is seems like major hospital systems are paying more than other people for outpatient psych jobs because they look at psych clinics not as profit generators but more of an access to care component for the community and other providers in the system to refer to.

So my hospital system was giving a lecture on wrvus and they accidentally shared how many rvus each of the neurosurgeons, orthos, other surgical fields are generating a month and i was blown away, lol. made my RVUs like trivial by comparison. It seems like hospitals can afford to pay more because they get their money from the surgical fields, grants, donations, etc. Whereas private clinics dont have the other sources of funding and patient volume is the primary source of revenue, so youre inclined to see a higher number of less sick people vs hospital system you see moderate to sicker people but less volume.

thats what it seems like to me so far

Sure but that’s not surprising procedures are reimbursed across the board at a much higher wRVU than non procedures.

A TKA is like 22 RVUs for maybe 1.5-2 hours for most orthos? Line those up back to back over the course of a day and you’re talking potentially 100+ RVUs a day.

A 99214 is 1.92 wRVUS lol

California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

They're usually looking in places like Stockton.

You'll be seeing people with chains connecting their wrists and ankles to prevent them from getting you.

That being said, it's a neat system. Stephen Stahl leads the psychopharm consultation service for the system. People talk about it in the state hospital / corrections circles I am in as one of the best opportunities, provided one is interested in non- LA, SF, or SD California locations.

County inpatient in California is probably closer to half that, if that.
Vacaville is not far from SF. definitely doable. SD has a CDCR as well. There's also a facility east of LA that would make living in pasadena, etc. doable. I am doing county inpatient now and getting 250/hr. I also know of private hospitals who have contracted to larger groups that pay similar.

@icysky I see 12 patients per day. I can set my own hours/pick up which days/weeks I want. I generally do 4 days a week at 32 hours a week. I supplement this with outpatient practice.

Sure but that’s not surprising procedures are reimbursed across the board at a much higher wRVU than non procedures.

A TKA is like 22 RVUs for maybe 1.5-2 hours for most orthos? Line those up back to back over the course of a day and you’re talking potentially 100+ RVUs a day.

Some surgical fields get a lot from the procedures but keep in mind that many surgical clinics are seeing 20-30 patients per HALF DAY clinic and many of these are billing at 99214. I know surgeons who get through 60 patients in a full day of clinic on a weekly basis.

just seeing the number though theyre generating is crazy. I figured they were the income generators, but seeing the insane profit they generate monthly in a dollar amount was pretty interesting.

also its just nice from a standpoint that my employers have never been pushy with wrvus, they show us our monthly amount, but theres no set targets or anything. The patient load is extremely fair compared to my last job which is nice

Offered a per diem rate of 1250 for an “8 hr” shift inpatient day. Pt census avg 16. Can leave when finished. No call no weekend - dispo and most family meetings/ court handled by others.

Sounds like a job cobbler dream to me. Can fit this in nicely alongside my full time gig. It’s 1099 so no bennys and must pay my own tax/etc.

Offered a per diem rate of 1250 for an “8 hr” shift inpatient day. Pt census avg 16. Can leave when finished. No call no weekend - dispo and most family meetings/ court handled by others.

Sounds like a job cobbler dream to me. Can fit this in nicely alongside my full time gig. It’s 1099 so no bennys and must pay my own tax/etc.
16 is a fair amount, but otherwise yeah this is a good gig. I can usually get through my 12 patients in about 3 hours. That said, I work in a very acute hospital and the vast majority of my patients are chronically psychotic so there isn't much in depth conversation/therapy going on.

16 is a fair amount, but otherwise yeah this is a good gig. I can usually get through my 12 patients in about 3 hours. That said, I work in a very acute hospital and the vast majority of my patients are chronically psychotic so there isn't much in depth conversation/therapy going on.
Agree - this on surface level doesn’t look that great if taken over 8 hours. However, I did DD and providers usually leave in 4 hours. These patients are also exactly as you are saying - chronic psychosis is the norm - uninsured / underinsured. 16 for me is very doable. And even if leaving at 6 hour mark that’s pretty good (208/hr) with no on call and fixed day shifts. A bit lower when considering self employment but hey, pretty good.

Thoughts on 220k inpatient
7 on 21 off.
Leave when finished
Roughly 18pts per day. 3 admits per day
Backup call only
Southern region

Seems a little low for 1099. Am I reading that right? 1 week straight then 3 weeks off?

7 on 21 off.
Leave when finished
Backup call only
Southern region
For working 16 weeks a year this is an excellent deal on paper if you can round and leave. Almost TOO excellent.

I’m wondering - is the backup call atrocious or something? I would do due diligence and talk to people there, but this might be a sweeeeeeeet deal

Reactions: 4 users
For working 16 weeks a year this is an excellent deal on paper if you can round and leave. Almost TOO excellent.

I’m wondering - is the backup call atrocious or something? I would do due diligence and talk to people there, but this might be a sweeeeeeeet deal
Yeah, working only 1/4 of the days means that's like 92 days per year. Works out to $2390 per day worked.

Backup call is not bad at all. I spoke to a few psychiatrist there and that's what I've been told. With 1099 thought it might be more. It's round and go. Most of the time out by 2-3.

Yeah, working only 1/4 of the days means that's like 92 days per year. Works out to $2390 per day worked.
When you compare W2 vs 1099 taxed at 220k, is it fairly similar? I've ran my calculations and it seems so, but I have no experience with 1099. I understand there is self-employment tax to pay as well. Just thought this was bring that total number down quite a bit.

When you compare W2 vs 1099 taxed at 220k, is it fairly similar? I've ran my calculations and it seems so, but I have no experience with 1099. I understand there is self-employment tax to pay as well. Just thought this was bring that total number down quite a bit.
Not really.

This is not tax advice, but talk to an accountant about it. You can have a better tax burden if it is structured optimally.

7 on 21 off.
Leave when finished
Backup call only
Southern region
For reference, quick math puts that patient volume around 4,000 wRVUs per year. Fairly high volume but to only do it one week a month that’s not bad at all.

Found this in the region to supplement the 7 on 21 off.

Outpatient
$200/hr
med mgt
60 min new eval
30 min f/u
Flexible schedule

With both 1099 and taking 6 weeks off, seems I could make roughly 500 with 40 hour week. Does this seem right? Anything particular to ask for?

Outpatient
$200/hr
med mgt
60 min new eval
30 min f/u
Flexible schedule

With both 1099 and taking 6 weeks off, seems I could make roughly 500 with 40 hour week. Does this seem right? Anything particular to ask for?
Make sure the hours are guaranteed, butt in chair time - not based on if anyone shows up or not. If it’s based on pt showing up, may be a terrible deal.

Reactions: 2 users

Outpatient
$200/hr
med mgt
60 min new eval
30 min f/u
Flexible schedule

So, it depends on what you want to do long term. This isn't actually a great 1099 deal on a $/hr basis, esp as alluded to above they ding you for no shows in any way but for your purposes as an easy 2nd job to jump into might be fine.

You'll absolutely make more per hour (likely substantially more) if you opened up your own private practice on the side esp after a couple years but that'll require building up the practice over time and doing all the things running a private practice entails. Your inpatient setup is actually a perfect setup to build your own practice as you have a reliable income/capital stream while you're getting office space, figuring out logistics, getting established in the community, etc but if that's not your goal/ideal then no need to go through all that.

Also depends on what kind of support you have at this other outpatient job. Do they have admin staff to field your phone calls esp on the week you're doing inpatient? Do you have to do all your own prior auths, med refill stuff, etc?

Also, as an aside, if you're going to make this much as a 1099 this is a case where I'd say it's actually going to be worth it to set up an S corp with an accountant right off the bat as you're going to be above the pass through deduction thresholds (substantially above if you're single).

Reactions: 5 users

Outpatient
$200/hr
med mgt
60 min new eval
30 min f/u
Flexible schedule

if its solely $200 hour based on hours youre there 8-4 or w/e, then the fact that they're doing 30 min f/us is a good sign in my experience. It typically means someone there is advocating for quality of care in some regard. Is it a hospital clinic? Few private practices I saw give you 30 min f/u, usually 15-20 min f/us with 30 people jammed into your schedule. When I see 30 min f/u im thinking that they arent focused on wrvus as much as quality. Im assuming they will give you a nurse to mitigate phone calls? That seems to be common at most hospital based clinics. For private clinics its more hit or miss, they have random support people with no clinical knowledge and who arent super motivated to help.

if its solely $200 hour based on hours youre there 8-4 or w/e, then the fact that they're doing 30 min f/us is a good sign in my experience. It typically means someone there is advocating for quality of care in some regard. Is it a hospital clinic? Few private practices I saw give you 30 min f/u, usually 15-20 min f/us with 30 people jammed into your schedule. When I see 30 min f/u im thinking that they arent focused on wrvus as much as quality. Im assuming they will give you a nurse to mitigate phone calls? That seems to be common at most hospital based clinics. For private clinics its more hit or miss, they have random support people with no clinical knowledge and who arent super motivated to help.
Thank you for your input. It is a small private clinic. Would need to establish patient panel and only get paid if hour slot is filled. $100 for new no shows, $50 for no show f/us.

Nursing helps with PAs. Med refills done on own time.

Thank you for your input. It is a small private clinic. Would need to establish patient panel and only get paid if hour slot is filled. $100 for new no shows, $50 for no show f/us.

personally, my preference but i hate pure wrvu type jobs like this, because no matter how good you are, you cant account for life events that cause people to no show or cancel. I feel like you would have to slightly overbook to compensate or be stringent with no show policy. Granted in my clinic i do have a very low no show rate (<10%) but i also have a great support staff that helps keep patients organized. At least youre paid for no shows but I would have too much anxiety with days that were slow.

I think you can find deals that pay more and require less from you. If I were you I would look for something that offered flat compensation at $200/hour that you have available for them to schedule regardless of whether they give you a full panel or not or something that pays more on a per-patient and per-no-show basis. A max of $200 but really making $0-200 is a lot less than actually making $175/hour guaranteed, especially when you factor in the time it takes to build up a panel.

0.1 is painfully low amount of academic/admin time. If they can scratch the consults (which will be a huge pain for only 0.1 FTE or drop to 0.5 FTE IP) that would definitely help. Otherwise if it's doing what you want to be doing and can find a way to get some retention bonus in there, sounds like it would check a lot of boxes. If you need/prioritize money obviously this will not be job #1, but it's pretty cool to do neurotheraputics + IP and eventually do geropsych if that's your jam.
Hi, and thanks for your advice. Seems like this place won't nudge and is unwilling to negotiate the contract. It is a good starter position; however, I will keep my options open for now. Interviews are in full swing, so more offers will come in soon.

For the sake of transparency, here is the lowest i've heard. Signed by one of my cohort members.

Academic, Midwest metro area
FT mix of inpatient, ED, and ECT.
189 salary, no productivity
M-F, q14 day call (backup only, from home)
No research. Clinical/education only.
Start as "instructor," can be promoted after 3 years to asst at 220k.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
For the sake of transparency, here is the lowest i've heard. Signed by one of my cohort members.

Academic, Midwest metro area
FT mix of inpatient, ED, and ECT.
189 salary, no productivity
M-F, q14 day call (backup only, from home)
No research. Clinical/education only.
Start as "instructor," can be promoted after 3 years to asst at 220k.
Lol, that has to be Wash U.

In defense of Wash U, Wash U actually pays much better lol.

Not to name and shame or anything but my cohort mate is going to a decent department, not a top department (i.e. not WashU, not UPMC).
Woof, that is such a hard salary to swallow without even having any big time CV padding. Thanks for keeping it real with details on academics.

Reactions: 2 users
In defense of Wash U, Wash U actually pays much better lol.

Not to name and shame or anything but my cohort mate is going to a decent department, not a top department (i.e. not WashU, not UPMC).
SLU? IU?

- 1.0 FTE 40 hrs
- 0.1 Consults
- 0.1 Academic/Admin

As an update and reiteration, compensation is non-negotiable. There is no separate CME (time/$$). PTO seems typical 4 weeks/20day +10-11 holidays + sick. Student loan repayment is 300K (not PSLF) after 3-5 years. There are two types of retirement programs: 1 401K and other cash-balance retirement after getting vested. 30-32 total clinical hrs. Never had consult service so the volume is uncertain. Board certification added nothing but promised $1K once I board in my sub-subspecialty training. Call is on-site if I choose to do it but not a requirement since it is additional pay. So, for this role the extra pay comes from calls or seeing more than 6 pts.

Job 1: Assumed total compensation is $222K + 40K sign-on (one-time) +/-call 19,200-22,500K + standard benefits ($8-10K) = $289-294K??

Job 2 (Academics, Geriatric Inpatient, FT):
Two academic appointments. Room to grow. Opportunities for ECT/TMS services are available.
Total compensation: 305K with $10K sign-on and $10K retention bonus at the end of year 2 and 3. CME $3500/yr.
PTO 25 days (includes CME)
Call: 20 nights (home) and 6 weekends/yr (incl 3-day weekend). Extra is extra $$. For the geriatric unit and 1/2 adult unit.
Pt Census: 10 pts, can leave when done. Rotating trainees (geri-fellows, medical students, medical residents/fellows)
3 other Colleagues are amazing. I am leaning toward this position.

Both are inpatient roles in MA but different, so hard to completely compare. I do not like having to move between multiple services. Both are PSLF eligible, and both offer the same student loan repayment.

Thoughts on the best way to compare these offers?