Graduating residents in your program - where to next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought this might be an interesting thread, given that the fiscal year is about to end.

At UTSW:

AP/CP (9 residents graduating):
Derm with Ackerman, NYC
Derm with Cockerell, Dallas
Surg Path at Memorial Sloan followed by GU with Epstein at Hopkins
GU with Bostwick, VA
Heme with Kroft at MCW, Milwaukee
Surg Path at UTSW (2 of them)
Surg Path at Methodist, Houston
Cytogenetics at UTSW

CP Only (2 residents graduating):
Transfusion at UMinn
Heme at UTSW

Members don't see this ad.

This kind of stuff is usually posted on a program's website somewhere. That might be a good place to start if someone is curious.

thanks for the info, BigD. intersting that all 11 are going onto fellowships, someone even more than 1. as an aside to this topic, does anyone know if the rate of people doing fellowships is higher in path than in anything else? i really can't think of any specialty where at least 75% of residents do a fellowship, which is the number i've been told. i know IM is close to 50%, but i can't think of any other that seems to be as high as path.

i'm not saying this is intrinsically good or bad - just interesting to me, that's all.

Thought this might be an interesting thread, given that the fiscal year is about to end.

At UTSW:

AP/CP (9 residents graduating):
Derm with Ackerman, NYC
Derm with Cockerell, Dallas
Surg Path at Memorial Sloan followed by GU with Epstein at Hopkins
GU with Bostwick, VA
Heme with Kroft at MCW, Milwaukee
Surg Path at UTSW (2 of them)
Surg Path at Methodist, Houston
Cytogenetics at UTSW

Transfusion at UMinn
Heme at UTSW

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard radiology residents almost always do some sort of fellowship too, the body of knowledge is so wide.

Our current fourth years are all staying here for fellowships.

I have heard radiology residents almost always do some sort of fellowship too, the body of knowledge is so wide.

Yes, rads people typically do fellowships, regardless of career plans (academics v private practice).

Transfusion at UMinn
Guess I'll meet one of them next year then! :)

Here at UMN:

2 AP/CP have jobs at Hennepin County Med Ctr
1 AP/CP has a job in Fargo
1 AP/CP is doing the in-house cytology fellowship
1 AP/CP is doing cytology at Rochester

1 CP-only is becoming staff in Molecular Genetics at the U
1 CP-only is doing the in-house heme fellowship

I think that's it. There may be more, since a few people are off-cycle from maternity leave and late starts.

Are they graduating without fellowships (4 years only) and getting outside jobs? We had a thread about that recently.

Guess I'll meet one of them next year then! :)
1 AP/CP is doing cytology at Rochester

Rochester NY or MN?

I didn't think either one had a cytology fellowship.

i stand corrected! by the way, deschutes, how do people like the surgpath program up there in the tundra?

i stand corrected! by the way, deschutes, how do people like the surgpath program up there in the tundra?
Come to my booth at USCAP for the fellowship fair. I have a poster with Lake Calhoun and immunerable sailboats on it in the background. Welcome to Uptown Minneapolis!

minneapolis_from_calhoun.jpg

You realize though, that it is a surg path fellowship you are inquiring about.

You realize though, that it is a surg path fellowship you are inquiring about.

ha ha! i hear you. my prediction is that surg path fellowships will be extinct in ten years (only to come back once the residency is once again lengthened to 5 years).

ha ha! i hear you. my prediction is that surg path fellowships will be extinct in ten years (only to come back once the residency is once again lengthened to 5 years).
Some places though, the fellows oversee the gross room and consult service. Take that away and the hierarchy collapses.

...starting at 275k, I found out today. Second year 350k.

Is that the average pay for someone in path? Deschutes, do you know of any starting salary/second year out pay in other parts of the country? Is 350K attainable in more desirable locations?

Is that the average pay for someone in path? Deschutes, do you know of any starting salary/second year out pay in other parts of the country? Is 350K attainable in more desirable locations?

No not average. and not starting in a "more desirable" location.. The sticky faqs have salary info (I think, or do a search, or look at any salary info by medical profession)

What is it with these threads...? How do these people find these threads the instant salary comes up?
Do you have a search string for 3**k?
:smuggrin:

hey now - are you saying fargo isn't a desireable place to live? the movie painted such a lovely picture of people from that part of the country, how could anyone not want to live there? ok, i'm probably sounding like a smartass, but i actually think that it'd be worth going to a "less desireable" place for 3-5 years if one was young, married, and not needing the big city life. you could start your family, move before you kid started school to a larger city, and in the meantime make way more money than you ever would in a larger city. you could conceivably pay off all your med school debt in 5 years that way.

Ya gotta listen to djmd. If you frequent these forums, you'll know that the dream of >200k starting is extremely rare. In fact, I would say the more desirable the location is, the lower your starting will be.

I also second mlw03. This job in Fargo is practically perfect (at least what I know of it) for our grad. And I don't remember what vacay for that particular job is like, but you could take all that money and holiday in desirable locations, all the while maintaining a low cost of living.

I might retract what I say now, tomorrow. I'm at USCAP, it's 12:30am and dinner was an olive and a green apple martini.

I was looking at a job for a whopping 570K/year near there and trust me...that was even CLOSE to enough $$$.

different strokes for different folks.

I dont want to begin to respond...but suffice it to say you CAN make 1.4m+ living on the beach near Malibu. It is possible, absolutely. Will you achieve this? Highly unlikely.

I dont want to begin to respond...but suffice it to say you CAN make 1.4m+ living on the beach near Malibu. It is possible, absolutely. Will you achieve this? Highly unlikely.

I'm pretty sure that he was asking about starting, not after you open your own Corp, Dermpathomatic. (and yes I know you can do 1.4 without that..)