Graduation gift for DPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dawgs2119

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My daughter is graduating next month with her DPM. Can anyone suggest a gift that she would find useful in her 3-year residency? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

dawgs2119 said:
My daughter is graduating next month with her DPM. Can anyone suggest a gift that she would find useful in her 3-year residency? Thanks! :)

a new car.

a down payment on a house

dawgs2119 said:

When I graduated from Podiatry school, my parents assisted me in getting a car as my graduation gift. I needed a car for my residency program and did not have one when I was a student. My classmates got the following as a graduating gift:

Decent quality digital camera - this is useful during residency as we take quite a bit of surgical pictures or pictures of interested pathology from patients that can be used for powerpoint presentations

Downpayment towards a house / condo / townhome - some people argue that they rather pay money towards equity instead of paying rent to someone else. In addition, some people hope to sell the home at the end of residency and hope to make some money out of it.

Laptop / Desktop Computer - this will be useful for the resident to prepare presentations, manuscripts, access patient labs / x-rays from hospital, etc... Laptop would be more convenient but it costs more than desktop computer. Also you should check with your daughter's residency program if she gets a free laptop from the residency program. There is a residency program in Philadelphia area and one in Michigan that give each incoming residents a free laptop.

PDA - this can be useful for the resident to access drug information or other reference materials while doing patient rounds. In addition, it is useful to organize the resident's life. Again, check with your daughter's residency program if she will get a PDA from her residency program. Several residency programs give PDAs to the residents so that they can also access patient information from the hospital network. Also you can have your daughter check with the residents in the residency program utilize the Palm or Pocket Window operating system.

Gift certificate to major bookstore chain - this would enable the new resident to purchase some new reference textbooks that she can use during her residency training. Again, she should check with her residency program since sometimes they have a book allowance from the residency program.

Large capacity thumb drive / jump drive / travel drive (one of those small portal USB flash drive) - this is useful for the resident to carry presentation files or other files from home to the hospital and vice versa. I would recommend getting one that is 1 gigabyte or larger.

Decent Quality Stethescope - this will be useful during the various medicine and surgery rotations. However, I have not used it very much once I am on podiatry services.

Hopefully, some of these ideas will help. Lastly, I would stay away from getting your daughter scrubs or a doctor white coat because she will get these from her residency program. I am sure that you are very proud of your daughter graduating from OCPM and entering into a 3 year podiatric surgical residency program.

Members don't see this ad :)
A Husband.... My Brother is Single!! Quasimodo has a great personality and all the girls say he is a nice guy.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. You folks are great! We settled on helping her with a down payment on a house she found in her residency program's city. Couldn't have done it without you!

Best of luck with all your dreams and goals. Remember, keep putting that best foot forward! - Dawgs 2119
:)
dpmgrad said:
When I graduated from Podiatry school, my parents assisted me in getting a car as my graduation gift. I needed a car for my residency program and did not have one when I was a student. My classmates got the following as a graduating gift:

Decent quality digital camera - this is useful during residency as we take quite a bit of surgical pictures or pictures of interested pathology from patients that can be used for powerpoint presentations

Downpayment towards a house / condo / townhome - some people argue that they rather pay money towards equity instead of paying rent to someone else. In addition, some people hope to sell the home at the end of residency and hope to make some money out of it.

Laptop / Desktop Computer - this will be useful for the resident to prepare presentations, manuscripts, access patient labs / x-rays from hospital, etc... Laptop would be more convenient but it costs more than desktop computer. Also you should check with your daughter's residency program if she gets a free laptop from the residency program. There is a residency program in Philadelphia area and one in Michigan that give each incoming residents a free laptop.

PDA - this can be useful for the resident to access drug information or other reference materials while doing patient rounds. In addition, it is useful to organize the resident's life. Again, check with your daughter's residency program if she will get a PDA from her residency program. Several residency programs give PDAs to the residents so that they can also access patient information from the hospital network. Also you can have your daughter check with the residents in the residency program utilize the Palm or Pocket Window operating system.

Gift certificate to major bookstore chain - this would enable the new resident to purchase some new reference textbooks that she can use during her residency training. Again, she should check with her residency program since sometimes they have a book allowance from the residency program.

Large capacity thumb drive / jump drive / travel drive (one of those small portal USB flash drive) - this is useful for the resident to carry presentation files or other files from home to the hospital and vice versa. I would recommend getting one that is 1 gigabyte or larger.

Decent Quality Stethescope - this will be useful during the various medicine and surgery rotations. However, I have not used it very much once I am on podiatry services.

Hopefully, some of these ideas will help. Lastly, I would stay away from getting your daughter scrubs or a doctor white coat because she will get these from her residency program. I am sure that you are very proud of your daughter graduating from OCPM and entering into a 3 year podiatric surgical residency program.

dawgs2119 said:
Thanks so much for the suggestions. You folks are great! We settled on helping her with a down payment on a house she found in her residency program's city. Couldn't have done it without you!

Best of luck with all your dreams and goals. Remember, keep putting that best foot forward! - Dawgs 2119
:)

Your a great father :thumbup:

I have a strange idea, save your money... I assume that she is an adult... buy her a nice card saying something like, it's nice to see that you're an adult now and finally can take care of yourself....

I just find it strange how long childhood lasts in america!

whiskers said:
I have a strange idea, save your money... I assume that she is an adult... buy her a nice card saying something like, it's nice to see that you're an adult now and finally can take care of yourself....

I just find it strange how long childhood lasts in america!

Completely uncalled for and disrespectful. Whiskers, you have said some unintelligent things in the past but this comment really lowered your IQ. Get some help.

IlizaRob said:
Completely uncalled for and disrespectful. Whiskers, you have said some unintelligent things in the past but this comment really lowered your IQ. Get some help.

Just when you think whiskers gave up drinking. I'm never suprised by the ignorance of whiskers' posts.

What's wrong with speaking the obvious.... It seems unreasonable for an adult to ask his or her parents for a car or a house. It's called being weaned....

I just don't want any of the rest of the adults in podiatry school to put mom and dad further in the hole (as if college is cheap and not a gift) in order to have some new wheels a a great flat to party in....

I don't find those reasonable gift ideas for graduating podiatry school as an adult.

What is disrespectful, in my opinion, is expecting expensive gifts from anyone for anything.

Do you have any clue if this man's daughter asked for a gift? Do you have any clue about their financial records? Was it your place it insult him for wanting advice on gifts?

If the answer to any of those questions is true than you comment was called for. If they are all no then I think you comments are unnecessary and inappropriate.

Why not call his daughter a spoiled brat? Heck if anyone recieves anything from his/her parents after the age of 18, they should be shot. Right?

Whiskers,

You know what, untell you've got the brass to give us your school and year, I think you should keep your opinions to yourself. Put up or shut up. If you had the guts maybe I'd listen to your mouth diarrhea.

whiskers said:
What's wrong with speaking the obvious.... It seems unreasonable for an adult to ask his or her parents for a car or a house. It's called being weaned....

I just don't want any of the rest of the adults in podiatry school to put mom and dad further in the hole (as if college is cheap and not a gift) in order to have some new wheels a a great flat to party in....

I don't find those reasonable gift ideas for graduating podiatry school as an adult.

What is disrespectful, in my opinion, is expecting expensive gifts from anyone for anything.

Since you obviously did not read the OP's post they were looking to get something for their daughter whom thay are very proud of. They wanted to get her a useful gift.

There was nothing said about what the daughter wanted. If so, this post would not exist. If the daughter asked for something specific the father would not be soliciting advice here. He would have bought the gift by now.

Maybe this student paid for their own college and pod school. Maybe they went to college on a scholarship and took loans for pod school and the parents did not help at all and are proud and thankful to their daughter for not putting them into so much debt.

Hey wiskers, instead of being so judgmental maybe you should mop up the diarrhea from your mouth. Go cough up a hairball somewhere else, no one wants your diarrhea here. :smuggrin: :barf:

whiskers said:

Actually, your posting is rather disrespectful. Neither the original poster nor I had stated the daughter or myself expected any gift (let alone an expensive gift) respectively. As for my situation, it was my parents that asked me what I wanted for my graduation gift. I told them what they could help me with, which was a car, since I would need it for my residency training. My parents never paid a penny for my podiatry school education. My podiatry school tuition and expenses were funded from a combination of student loans, scholarships, and earnings that I made before podiatry school and during school. Before jumping to conclusion, you should really find out the whole story.

dpmgrad said:
Actually, your posting is rather disrespectful. Neither the original poster nor I had stated the daughter or myself expected any gift (let alone an expensive gift) respectively. As for my situation, it was my parents that asked me what I wanted for my graduation gift. I told them what they could help me with, which was a car, since I would need it for my residency training. My parents never paid a penny for my podiatry school education. My podiatry school tuition and expenses were funded from a combination of student loans, scholarships, and earnings that I made before podiatry school and during school. Before jumping to conclusion, you should really find out the whole story.

Okay, let's put this discussion to rest. I'm the grad's Mom who asked for suggestions. And they were great suggestions!

Dr. Jessie put herself through podiatry school, working, scholarships, loans. She has a vehicle - which she purchased and is paying that off. She decided that it would be more prudent to buy a small, and I mean small, house in her residency city than rent. As her gift, we helped pay off her vehicle so she'd have only one monthly payment - mortgage - and helped with appliances.

We are not doctors. We're blue-collar working folks. We're very proud of all our children and what they've accomplished. We moved her up to her residency city earlier this week. She was totally shocked at what we offered her as a gift. So she did not ask for this. She's now on her own - and won't pick up a pay check until mid July. What other profession does this to its employees? So...we helped and we're proud we could do this. She will be paying her loans for many years to come. God bless her and all the DPM grads for their dedication! :love:

dawgs2119 said:

Some comfy shoes :)