Grammar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it doesn't really matter, but I have to clarify something that a lot of people are doing.

That is, when refering to the plural of MD or DO, it is not correct to write MD's or DO's because that is insinuating possession such as the MD's schedule. The correct way to type it would just be MDs or DOs without the apostrophe if the intention is to make it plural. The same goes for PhDs, DCs, and the like.

I know it's not a big issue, but I see it rampant throughout all forums on SDN. I'm sure people already know this, and I just wanted to throw it out there. So much for my R in the MCAT writing portion. :)

Members don't see this ad.

There should be no comma in this sentence:

"I'm sure people already know this, and I just wanted to throw it out there."

or no "and"

I'm sure people already know this and I just wanted to throw it out there.

or

I'm sure people already know this, I just wanted to throw it out there

Originally posted by hilikus
There should be no comma in this sentence:

"I'm sure people already know this, and I just wanted to throw it out there."

or no "and"

I'm sure people already know this and I just wanted to throw it out there.

or

I'm sure people already know this, I just wanted to throw it out there
Actually there should be. It's two simple sentences separated by the conjunction "and". When that happens you have to put a comma before "and". Also, your last sentence is a run-on, and you would have to separate them by a period.

Who cares. I'm not trying to say I'm the expert on grammar, but it was an annoyance.