Gravida Para... grr... what is the secret code?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to do a quick written history, but can't seem to find the decoder ring that tells me the magic order that those gravida / para numbers go in.

If a woman had 6 pregnancies, 3 abortions, 2 still births and 1 live birth, how do you report that using the cutsey little number order that I don't know?

Also, are there any categories that I am missing?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Trying to do a quick written history, but can't seem to find the decoder ring that tells me the magic order that those gravida / para numbers go in.

If a woman had 6 pregnancies, 3 abortions, 2 still births and 1 live birth, how do you report that using the cutsey little number order that I don't know?

Thanks!

Gravida is number of times pregnant (including current one) regardless of outcome. Para is broken down into TPAL (term, preterm, abortions/miscarriages, and living). So your example, you really need to tell us if the live birth was term or preterm, but assuming term, it is a G6 P1051.

There are a couple of these systems.

I've commonly used the "GPA" system, or:

Gravida: number of pregnancies
Para: number of offspring births
Abortions: number of ITOPs, miscarriages, etc.

There's also the "TPAL" system, or:

T: term births
P: preterm births
A: Abortions, as above
L: living children

Remember that twins count as one pregnancy, but two births!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks L2D!! Super fast response!

Gravida is number of times pregnant (including current one) regardless of outcome. Para is broken down into TPAL (term, preterm, abortions/miscarriages, and living). So your example, you really need to tell us if the live birth was term or preterm, but assuming term, it is a G6 P1051.

On OB/gyn, they told fetal demises beyond 20 weeks would be preterm or term, depending on how far along the demise was. So according to what I just learned (and for argument's sake, I'm going to make 1 still birth at 36 weeks, and 1 at term), I'd say the woman would be G6P2131. (The stillbirth/fetal demise and "coding" was something I had asked about during one of my call nights, and that's how it was explained to me).

On OB/gyn, they told fetal demises beyond 20 weeks would be preterm or term, depending on how far along the demise was. So according to what I just learned (and for argument's sake, I'm going to make 1 still birth at 36 weeks, and 1 at term), I'd say the woman would be G6P2131. (The stillbirth/fetal demise and "coding" was something I had asked about during one of my call nights, and that's how it was explained to me).

I buy that. Thanks.

for me couldn't remember TPAL for the life of me, so used "deal" for the same meanings of each letter in TPAL

D = Deliveries at term
E = Early
A = Abortions
L = Living children

best of luck

Oh yeah, and for talking about stuff like this fast, for someone in her first pregnancy, you can say "G1P0" or "prime."

I just saw a woman in an FP clinic who was G21-P16-0-5-11. I was amazed by that one. The grandest multip I ever saw, but she was like 60.

GP - pregnancies, births
FPAL - full term, pre-term, aborted, living

I remember it as: Florida Power And Light

Thanks!

I remember Florida power and light.. full term, premature births, abortions, and living..

Oh yeah, and for talking about stuff like this fast, for someone in her first pregnancy, you can say "G1P0" or "prime."

I just saw a woman in an FP clinic who was G21-P16-0-5-11. I was amazed by that one. The grandest multip I ever saw, but she was like 60.

Gah! Was she prolapsed? I can't imagine your pelvic floor taking that kind of stress...

Gah! Was she prolapsed? I can't imagine your pelvic floor taking that kind of stress...

Fortunately, I didn't have to check. I read a hospital report in her chart and saw that as a part of it. She came in s/p cataract surgery. (To correct her age she's 72, she was also complaining of arthritis.)

(I am however the queen of prenatal exams on my FP rotation. I've almost done more in 2 weeks of FP than I did on 6 of OB/gyn.)

Can I just say how much I love SDN... I had an answer on here within minutes, and then helpful people coming on with acronyms to help me remember for the future. Just wow. :love::love::love: