gre help plz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b33feater

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So over the winter break, I'm going to start studying for the GRE. I'm planning on studying for 3 months and was wondering if anybody had a 3 month study schedule that worked out for them. Also please include books used and/or other sources used as study materials.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just keep doing a few hours every day. Never let a day go by without studying, even if it is just for a little bit. I bought two GRE books, but only ended up using one of them. I scored 152 verbal, 157 quant, and 5 AW.

Make flashcards for the vocab words, and just constantly review them. I found an app on my smartphone that was great for vocab words.

I specifically remember my GRE book saying "The GRE isnt a measure of how much you learned in college, its a measure of how well you prepared for the GRE."

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly don't remember, but just look at some reviews. I think most are pretty good. It will matter more how much you study, not the book you use.

The best indicator will be past sat....I found the test and my percentiles to be nearly identical. Also, 8 years of no college between the tests

So over the winter break, I'm going to start studying for the GRE. I'm planning on studying for 3 months and was wondering if anybody had a 3 month study schedule that worked out for them. Also please include books used and/or other sources used as study materials.

Thanks!

I used the kaplan online cheaper study at your own pace program the summer prior to applying for PT. I was taking one class but I spaced out my studying for about three months. To be honest I'm sure you can get a lot out of different books but I thought their online class had a couple of advantages. 1) All the practice I did was on the computer and the format was identical to the exam. I think this was probably the biggest benefit from a program because the test is online so as you study you're developing good test taking time management strategies. Also I learned pretty quickly what to take from problems, what i needed to write down or what I could just work out on the screen quickly. 2) Spending the money made me want to really study and use the program though i realize individual motivation can vary on this.
If you decide not to use a program I still think its smart to try to take a practice test now before you start studying and then as you get closer try to take more practice tests so you can see if you've improved, what you're weak at, time management strategies etc. Just a little perspective for you. And btw if there's a program cheaper than kaplan but has approx the same online study on your own thing I would think its fine. I don't think the kaplan material versus some other company is what makes a difference I think just getting used to the format and question types, and timing during the exam is what makes the biggest difference.

I had the luxury of preparing all summer long and scored quite well. I used ETS's and Manhattan's prep materials. Manhattan's stuff is expensive, so I downloaded it to Kindle for a fraction of the cost. I echo what a previous poster said about the importance of doing at least some prep everyday. It's critical.

I only had about 2 weeks to study for the GRE, unfortunately. However, I used Kaplan's online resources which gave me access to 7 practice exams and the quiz bank. I can't even say enough about that quiz bank. You can select types of questions you are struggling with and create timed tests based on your weaknesses. They give you an initial assessment to see how you would do if you took the test cold (they estimated me at 149V, 146Q, 4AW). After only two weeks of practice using Kaplan's stuff, my dumb a** ended up with 161V, 153Q, 5AW... for real. I swear I don't work for them but if that's not a testament to a good product, nothing is!

Last edited: