GRE HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTpursuit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I took the GRE for the first time in August with little prep or studying and whilst taking summer courses and got a 146Q and 154Verbal.

I retook it October 29, and I was pretty upset to only have improved marginally; I received a 149Q and 156V

I ran out of time on the first math section and had to guess on 4-5 questions, which is why I did poorly. My question is, should I retake it? So far for most of the schools I am applying to, I meet the requirements,but I wanted a competive GRE score to offset my lower CummGPA, I have a high Prereq GPA.

If I plan to retake it, can you guys share with me some proven study tips that helped you improve your score immensely? I felt like I studied hard for this and took multiple practice tests. I don't know where to go from here.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're looking for the best GRE study tips and plans, Magoosh is definitely one of the best out there! The first time I took the exam, I scored a 147-Q, 150-V, and a 4.5-AW using the Princeton Review book. After ~2.5 weeks of studying with Magoosh, I took the exam again and scored a 154-Q, 157-V and a 5.0 for the AW. Overall, I highly recommend it because they offer LOTS of video lessons, vocab apps, and practice exams/quizzes with explanations. (Note: it's about $80-100 but it's worth it). In terms of whether or not you should retake the exam, you can always contact each school and ask them how much weight they put on the GREs, GPAs, hours, extracurriculars, etc. That's what I did for all of the schools that I applied to and the majority of them all recommended that I retake it. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
If you're looking for the best GRE study tips and plans, Magoosh is definitely one of the best out there! The first time I took the exam, I scored a 147-Q, 150-V, and a 4.5-AW using the Princeton Review book. After ~2.5 weeks of studying with Magoosh, I took the exam again and scored a 154-Q, 157-V and a 5.0 for the AW. Overall, I highly recommend it because they offer LOTS of video lessons, vocab apps, and practice exams/quizzes with explanations. (Note: it's about $80-100 but it's worth it). In terms of whether or not you should retake the exam, you can always contact each school and ask them how much weight they put on the GREs, GPAs, hours, extracurriculars, etc. That's what I did for all of the schools that I applied to and the majority of them all recommended that I retake it. Good luck!

Thank you so much for getting back to me, I appreciate people that care enough to help others, so thank you! Wow ,that's an impressive improvement, especially is 2.5 weeks. In those 2.5 weeks, how many hours a day did you study? I work every day but for minimal hours. Did you take the powerprep ETS tests, or just the magoosh, and you felt confident enough? I am unsure if I can improve that much in 2.5 weeks, so not sure when to make my next test day. I will definitely call programs like you did and see what they said. Thank you again for your generosity in helping me, lol. Hope you get into your top schools :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I took the GRE for the first time in August with little prep or studying and whilst taking summer courses and got a 146Q and 154Verbal.

I retook it October 29, and I was pretty upset to only have improved marginally; I received a 149Q and 156V

I ran out of time on the first math section and had to guess on 4-5 questions, which is why I did poorly. My question is, should I retake it? So far for most of the schools I am applying to, I meet the requirements,but I wanted a competive GRE score to offset my lower CummGPA, I have a high Prereq GPA.

If I plan to retake it, can you guys share with me some proven study tips that helped you improve your score immensely? I felt like I studied hard for this and took multiple practice tests. I don't know where to go from here.

Thank you!
a lot of schools require 150Q so retaking it might be a good idea. However, most of the deadlines are coming up, so it kind of depends on what schools you are applying to. If you meet the requirements then I would say it's not worth it.

You actually didnt do bad. You improved your score by 5 points which is good! For the math sections on GRE, I personally found it best to figure out what I was bad at (Permutations for me) then did what I could to study those topics. There's plenty of sources online like youtube that might help a little bit with that. Other than that Prince ton and magoosh are very good study guides

Thank you so much for getting back to me, I appreciate people that care enough to help others, so thank you! Wow ,that's an impressive improvement, especially is 2.5 weeks. In those 2.5 weeks, how many hours a day did you study? I work every day but for minimal hours. Did you take the powerprep ETS tests, or just the magoosh, and you felt confident enough? I am unsure if I can improve that much in 2.5 weeks, so not sure when to make my next test day. I will definitely call programs like you did and see what they said. Thank you again for your generosity in helping me, lol. Hope you get into your top schools :)

I studied for about 3-5 hours a day, mainly watching magoosh's videos and doing practice questions and exams (4 total spread throughout the 2.5 weeks: 2 magoosh, 2 ETS). They also provide you with a daily, weekly, and monthly study schedule that you can follow but I skipped a lot of the material that I knew and just focused on my weak areas. Overall, I definitely felt more confident going into my second exam than my first. You just have to believe in yourself, put in the work, and good things will happen.

I am sitting with solid GPA(3.75) solid hours(550+) but verbal GRE at 149(Q-155) do you think that the 150# has sufficient cache to re-take or am I sitting solid for mid and lower level programs. Thanks

From my experience interviewing/talking with some programs, the rest of your application has to look phenomenal in order for you to get by with scores under 150's. Especially if your cGPA is low, you'll HAVE to score in the mid 150's if you want to be considered for admission. Magoosh is DEFINITELY helpful. It's very good for visual learners. $100 goes a long way. I would definitely retake it and study for about 2 weeks (all day everyday during your winter break?) and do well! Good luck.

a lot of schools require 150Q so retaking it might be a good idea. However, most of the deadlines are coming up, so it kind of depends on what schools you are applying to. If you meet the requirements then I would say it's not worth it.

You actually didnt do bad. You improved your score by 5 points which is good! For the math sections on GRE, I personally found it best to figure out what I was bad at (Permutations for me) then did what I could to study those topics. There's plenty of sources online like youtube that might help a little bit with that. Other than that Prince ton and magoosh are very good study guides

Hey PTdude, thank you for the compliment on my improvement, it helps me feel better about it lol. I am horrible at permutations too... I think if i take it again, I will do better. The reason I probably didn't get at least 150 on quant was because of myself running out of time on the first math section, and guessing on 5 questions because of it. I am definitely going to try magoosh. Good luck on your admissions to PT school :). Thank you for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user
I studied for about 3-5 hours a day, mainly watching magoosh's videos and doing practice questions and exams (4 total spread throughout the 2.5 weeks: 2 magoosh, 2 ETS). They also provide you with a daily, weekly, and monthly study schedule that you can follow but I skipped a lot of the material that I knew and just focused on my weak areas. Overall, I definitely felt more confident going into my second exam than my first. You just have to believe in yourself, put in the work, and good things will happen.

Thank you for the information! I am going to try magoosh, it worked really well for you in such a short amount of time. I just got an email with an interview invite to Emory & Henry, so I feel more hopeful now. The schools is a candidate for accredidation but at least I got an interview! Good luck to you!!

From my experience interviewing/talking with some programs, the rest of your application has to look phenomenal in order for you to get by with scores under 150's. Especially if your cGPA is low, you'll HAVE to score in the mid 150's if you want to be considered for admission. Magoosh is DEFINITELY helpful. It's very good for visual learners. $100 goes a long way. I would definitely retake it and study for about 2 weeks (all day everyday during your winter break?) and do well! Good luck.

Hey Steveyk, thank you for the insight and advice! I think I am going to take it one more time, I know I can at least break 150 for quant, and while I am at it, improve my verbal score. I am going to try magoosh, especially because all of you have highly recommended it. Good luck to you in admissions! I received an invite to Emory and Henry College, they are a candidate for accreditation but it's nice to have been asked to interview considering my mediorce cummGPA and GRE. :)

Hey Steveyk, thank you for the insight and advice! I think I am going to take it one more time, I know I can at least break 150 for quant, and while I am at it, improve my verbal score. I am going to try magoosh, especially because all of you have highly recommended it. Good luck to you in admissions! I received an invite to Emory and Henry College, they are a candidate for accreditation but it's nice to have been asked to interview considering my mediorce cummGPA and GRE. :)
same, I'll be heading there in December. good luck.