GRE Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCalAud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to reach out to see if anybody in this forum has applied for admission into Doctor of Audiology Program anywhere? I have been browsing admission requirements for schools all over US and it seems as if most are looking for at least a 1000 between Verbal and Math. However, with that being the given "minimal" requirement score, of course they will be looking (accepting) students that are over that score, being that the program is becoming increasingly competitive to get into.

As I prepare to take my GRE test this upcoming Spring, based on experience that others may have had in terms of applying to various similar programs, I am wondering how much the GRE's are weighted in the decision of acceptance into a major such as this, keeping in mind one's GPA, recommendation letters and work experience (if applicable).

Any information/recommendations anyone can share regarding this topic would be very helpful! Thank you and best of luck to all in your studies.

Members don't see this ad.

My best guess so far (although I haven't done any official applications yet) is that the more selective programs who don't have as many spots use the GRE scores (and GPA) as a way to weed out the weaklings so the decision pool is smaller and more manageable.

For programs that are much less selective or have more spots available, I imagine the entirety of the application packet is more important.

That said, if you ask each program you're interested in, they will tell you the mean score and the range for the accepted applicants in the previous year (or recent years).

In my case, GRE score was my ticket in, as my GPA was a tad lower than competitive applicants. I can't really give a gold standard score, as I'm sure every school is different. The most prestigious schools likely take the total package into account as Ashley said.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can only guess based on the feel I got from certain schools, but I would say that your application package will be weighted about 1/3 GRE, 1/3 GPA, and 1/3 other factors. My only advice is to get a review book (I recommend The Princeton Review) and spend a few weeks studying a LOT. The math and writing section scores and pretty much going to reflect the math and writing skills you have been acquiring over the span of your whole life; the verbal section is the place that studying can REALLY boost your score (not that you shouldn't study math or writing). Get that TPR book and make flashcards of absolutely every vocab word it contains. Memorize 100% of them. You will bump up your score a couple hundred points, no exaggeration. Good luck!

the more selective programs who don't have as many spots use the GRE scores (and GPA) as a way to weed out the weaklings so the decision pool is smaller and more manageable.

For programs that are much less selective or have more spots available, I imagine the entirety of the application packet is more important.

That said, if you ask each program you're interested in, they will tell you the mean score and the range for the accepted applicants in the previous year (or recent years).

My GRE scores certainly helped. At ATSU, I can say that we have some student who scored near the 1000 mark. It is definitely possible to get in some schools even below that. The average GRE score for accepted AuD students nationally is 1100-1200. That is considered "competitive" for many programs I looked into. Above a 1200 is a "strong" score.

As stated above, I would say that each program has minimum standards that thin the applicants for review. Once into the review list, all materials are considered (GPA, GRE, packet, et cetera). Only some packets are selected for interview, and so-on. If your GPA is high, your GRE may not matter so much.

I'd say, take the GRE sooner, if possible. Many schools (ATSU is one) will not open the packet until compete (GRE included)! The computer based version will display your score on the spot. If your score is above 1200, great! If not and you can afford the time and money, retake it. They will only send your highest score. That way, whatever score is stronger makes you a stronger applicant.:cool:

That last part is not exactly true. ETS sends ALL your GRE scores, not only the highest ones so it is a bad idea to take the test if you are not prepared. In addition to that it's expensive to pay $160 more than once. It is up to the individual adcomms to decide if they are going to consider all the scores.

From the ETS website:

• All scores earned during the five testing years following the year in which you tested will be reported to each institution you designate.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the importance of the writing score?

Last edited:
Just a question about applying to audiology schools.

I am in my last semester, finishing with my bachelors in Communication disorder sciences. I had a bit of a bad start to my college carrier when I first began. To break it down...I have a 3.2 major gpa, over all 3.03 and past 60 units about a 3.2.

The head/chair of audiology department is giving me a letter of rec, as well as 2 other audiology professors. In addition I am doing research with one of the professors, and with the other I am doing audiology clinic.

I still need to take the GRE's :(. I am really bad at standardize testings and math.

I was just wondering if I still have a chance if I completely screw up on my GRE's.

I am in my last semester, finishing with my bachelors in Communication disorder sciences. I had a bit of a bad start to my college carrier when I first began. To break it down...I have a 3.2 major gpa, over all 3.03 and past 60 units about a 3.2.

The head/chair of audiology department is giving me a letter of rec, as well as 2 other audiology professors. In addition I am doing research with one of the professors, and with the other I am doing audiology clinic.

I still need to take the GRE's :(. I am really bad at standardize testings and math.

I was just wondering if I still have a chance if I completely screw up on my GRE's.

Hi there! First of all, grades and GRE aren't everything BUT programs need to see some sort of evidence that you can succeed at the graduate level. It IS in your best interest to spend a lot of time and energy studying for the GRE or re-taking it if you have to (I took it twice and I know people who've taken it three times). It could really go a long way for you if you manage to get a good score. However, at the same time, I don't believe a bad GRE score will completely demolish your chances because you never know. You should bust your a** this last semester to get good grades-you want to be on a upward trend when you apply.

1. Call/email/visit the schools you are interested in, letting them know of your grades/GRE and maybe state your case as to why they may not be representative of your ability. Also, use this opportunity to show them about the more positive things-like your interest in audiology, interest in their program, your research and clinical background etc.

2. Evaluate the schools you are applying to. If they are all competitive programs, you may want to throw in some "less" competitive programs in there as well. Don't give up on applying to schools just because you think you can't get in-I did this with one school and I regret it.

3. Write the BEST personal statement you can (make it unique and well-written). You should be doing this even if you have a perfect 4.0 and a 1400 GRE. Don't underestimate the importance of the statement. This may be a good place to briefly mention your grades and how you intend to rise above it at the graduate level. You use the statement to play up your other strengths (passion, clinic, research, insight into the field etc). Look up personal statement tips online-they are immensely helpful.

4. Don't have a negative mindset. If you are saying you won't get in because of grades or whatever-you probably won't get in. If you say you are going to do poorly on the GRE, you are going to do poorly on the GRE.

5. I would only post the same post once :).

1. Call/email/visit the schools you are interested in, letting them know of your grades/GRE and maybe state your case as to why they may not be representative of your ability. Also, use this opportunity to show them about the more positive things-like your interest in audiology, interest in their program, your research and clinical background etc.
That's exactly what I did when I visited one of the top choices. I brought in my resume, my unofficial transcripts, and a copy of my recent GRE scores to show them. I explained how I became interested in audiology by talking about one of my biggest events of my life and how I managed to get through school. I also wrote that in my personal statement. What I haven't put in my personal statement yet are my academic accomplishments and that's an important section to put in because they want students who handle the 3-4 years of grad school. They've had students with 4.0's and high GRE scores and they ended up dropping out because they lacked the interests or had no social skills/communication skills with patients and classmates. They don't want to make that mistake again. So, show them what you're weaknesses are and how it concerns you and if it does to them, but show them what you're capable of. You have to show them that you want this and you know what you're getting yourself into.

4. Don't have a negative mindset. If you are saying you won't get in because of grades or whatever-you probably won't get in. If you say you are going to do poorly on the GRE, you are going to do poorly on the GRE.
This is SO true!!!

You only need to post once.
Posting the same thing on every thread is spam, and it makes me reluctant to answer your post.

Study hard for the GRE, or take a class, then do the best you can. Only the committee knows if you'll get in. For more advice, read the countless threads from freaked out undergrads just like you.

I'd say you have a chance to get into programs. Just make sure you apply to enough schools to increase your odds. As for the GRE, I just took it and I studied using Barron's New GRE Flashcards and I think they helped me tremendously. The flashcards cover math and the most common GRE vocabulary. I would highly recommend them to anyone taking the GRE that doesn't have a ton of time to read multiple GRE books. Also, don't worry too much when you're taking it. As I was taking it, I felt like I wasn't doing good, but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw my score at the end. Good luck and don't worry too much! Feel free to post any more questions. We are all in the same boat and I think we should be able to vent a little on here. Good luck with everything. :)

I'd say you have a chance to get into programs. Just make sure you apply to enough schools to increase your odds. As for the GRE, I just took it and I studied using Barron's New GRE Flashcards and I think they helped me tremendously. The flashcards cover math and the most common GRE vocabulary. I would highly recommend them to anyone taking the GRE that doesn't have a ton of time to read multiple GRE books. Also, don't worry too much when you're taking it. As I was taking it, I felt like I wasn't doing good, but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw my score at the end. Good luck and don't worry too much! Feel free to post any more questions. We are all in the same boat and I think we should be able to vent a little on here. Good luck with everything. :)

I just came back from taking the GRE's. I did horrible 260-360V and 350-450Q. I thought I would do better on the verbal part...I don't really know what to do, other than retake this exam again.

I just came back from taking the GRE's. I did horrible 260-360V and 350-450Q. I thought I would do better on the verbal part...I don't really know what to do, other than retake this exam again.

How did you prepare? I recommend getting the Princeton Review prep book and working through it. It comes with a large amount of vocab, and you should memorize every single word. It will also help you learn some tricks to the math section.

definitely take it again. you have time. sign up now for a december date or january if you think you will need the time between semesters to study. definitely get a review book if you haven't already. and also take as many practice tests as you can. you might consider a class although they can be expensive, and i've heard it's not much different than using the review book independently but you just have someone to help discipline you. i think with the verbal it's probably important to study at least one word a day even if you don't have time to study a lot. there are lots of websites to help with that. here is one that sends you an email everyday - http://www.greword.com/

How did you prepare? I recommend getting the Princeton Review prep book and working through it. It comes with a large amount of vocab, and you should memorize every single word. It will also help you learn some tricks to the math section.

I didn't really study, just memorized about 50 words and that's about it. I feel I can do a lot better if I study. I was just over whelmed with all the stuff that was going to be on test..so I kind of just ignored it. I guess I deserve that score. But I will study and take it again. Any study tips?

jie1.jpg

jie2.jpg

jie4.jpg

There is PLENTY you can do to improve your score other than just taking the test again.

1. You need to figure out what you struggled most with on the test. For most people, the verbal is the most difficult, the GRE is way more difficult than the SAT verbal.

2. Get several different prep books, focus on the strategies (I used Princeton and Kaplan's strategies). I used Princeton's strategies for reading comp and Kaplan for everything else. You need to figure out what strategies work best for you.

3. PRACTICE using these strategies by taking many, MANY practice tests. These strategies help you when you don't know an answer to a question right off the bat. Practicing these strategies will make you a better test taker and help you when you DO take the test and you find yourself stuck with a question you don't know how to answer. Also, by taking practice tests, you become more familiar with the actual test. This helps with time management, easing of anxiety amongst others. Having poor time management and being anxious prior to and during the test will absolutely screw up how you do on the actual test.

4. Yes, memorizing vocab helps. I would memorize about 1000 words. Don't just memorize the definition as it will be harder to retain and apply for the test. Make notecards and write something like this: "My boyfriend is LACONIC, he doesn't speak much". Apply the word to something you are familiar with and include the definition briefly in the sentence. If you do see a word you don't know on a practice test (or the actual test), you just apply those strategies you learned in Kaplan (or Barron/Princeton). Kaplan has a five step rule for figuring out unfamiliar vocab.

5. Don't study for hours and hours. It will just stress you out and over time, you tend to lose focus and thus won't retain the information as well. Do like three hours a day and make sure you give yourself a day off every now and then.

6. View the GRE like a arcade game, you are trying to obtain the highest score and have fun while doing so. Find a way to make it fun-whether making funny sentences for your vocab words, playing word games, trying out different coffee shops while studying etc.

7. Enough about the verbal, I recommend the GRE Math Bible for the Quant. section. It's a 300 pg PDF file and often has practice problems that are harder than the questions you will see on the actual GRE. It covers EVERYTHING that you could possibly see on the GRE and offers many, many strategies.

8. Spend the money and get a math tutor, if you are broke, look for a tutor on campus, they charge about twenty dollars less (15 an hour) and may sometimes offer package deals. To save money, only go to the tutor with what you absolutely don't understand. Or if you have a buddy that is an engineering major or something quant. related-hit them up and pay them in baked goods.

9. Okay, so done with writing now. If anyone has questions, you can PM me. I'm only writing all of this (again) because I've been seeing people posting on here about their struggles with the GRE. The test is totally do-able. It's really just about beating the GRE at their own game.