GRE Verbal trouble, its muy frustrating!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTHopeful921

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
IDK what it is about the GRE's verbal section, but it seems to be my white whale! No matter how hard I try or how many strategy books I read i can never seem to break the 500 barrier on that damn test! is there any one out there that has any other possible hints (mostly those that have read up on the new version) or any one else having this difficulty? Has anyone gotten into schools with a sub 500 verbal score, or should i really be worried about that this year when i apply to schools? I'll be applying to Pitt, Chatham, Duquense, Univ. of Scranton, Drexel, South Carolina, Maryland, UTHSC-San Antonio, and Texas State. Anyone else applying to these that are in a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I never even broke the 450 range. It all depends on the combination of the quatitative section and the requirements of the schools. Look for schools whose minimum is with in your range on the verbal. I was invited for an interview at one school whose minimum was 450 (on the condition that i take the test a third time and score 450)... I took it again... and scored exactly the same (430) so i was denied the interview. Many schools require only 400 on verbal as long as quantitative schore is good. And your GPA has to be good. (and by the way I did get into a school after being waitlisted on 2)

I got a 440 on my verbal, but I had a 680 quantitative... So I mean... my overall score is good enough for me. I'm not retaking that... :p