Gre

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDSSlave

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When do students start studying for the GRE? What score should you be aiming for? From what I've read the GRE only matters if you do really well or really poor. Anyone have a clue of what a really good or bad score is? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is GRE compulsory for applying to MS programs?

Maybe I should clarify that I'm asking about taking the GRE for residency programs (ortho, endo, perio etc). What scrores are they looking for?

Members don't see this ad :)
I take it the GRE isn't a top priority for anyone right now.

I took it and scored an 800 on Analytical, 800 on Quantitative, and 480 on Verbal. I think my percentiles were 97%, 99%, and 58% or something like that.

No need to study for it for very long. Just take a few practice GREs that come with one of those $20 study books.

The only minimums I have ever come across in writing are minimum 600 in each section for UCSF ortho to consider you. Other than that, it's generally thought to be another hurdle to clear to see how badly you really want to specialize. Obviously the higher your scores, the more impressive you can look. I took it once, last summer, studied from a Kaplan verbal book and the math review that comes on the CD when you register for the exam. If you took the SATs, it's basically the SATs on crack. I got nearly the same scores Math & Verbal like I did on the SATs. The Analytical section no longer exists, it's been replaced with a writing section graded on a scale of 0 - 6 (with 6 as the highest, and scores given in 0.5 increments).

DDSSlave said:
Maybe I should clarify that I'm asking about taking the GRE for residency programs (ortho, endo, perio etc). What scrores are they looking for?

I meant the same :D (MS=residency)
Are you talking about doing this after DDS/DMD?..becos all I was thinking till now is only we(foreign trained dentist) need GRE for applying to MS programs!..I didn't know that even people with DDS/DMD should apply with GRE scores! :eek:

The majority of ortho, perio, and endo residencies (any program offering an MS) require the GRE. Of course you don't have to ace it like the NDBE, but it can hurt or help in extreme circumstances.

DDSSlave said:
The majority of ortho, perio, and endo residencies (any program offering an MS) require the GRE. Of course you don't have to ace it like the NDBE, but it can hurt or help in extreme circumstances.

Not necessarily the majority. In ortho, it seemed like more of the southern and western school wanted it. In my current application to most of the Northeastern schools, only 2 out of like 15 programs want GRE scores. For example, only 1 program out of the 7 in New York state requires the GRE. However, if you look at California's 4 ortho programs, 3 of them want GRE scores. Totally unpredictable. The only reason to take the GRE for ortho is to increase the number of schools you can apply to.

Thanks for clearing that up guys...Lemme know what you think is the best study material for GRE?

So, what's a good GRE score for residencies?

Members don't see this ad :)
ItsGavinC said:
Remember that the GRE is only 60 questions long.

Dang! :wow: I didn't know it was that short. So, 30 math and 30 verbal? Is this pretty much on par with the SAT, just a bit harder?

yo Slave...just go here for all the gre info you need bud

www.gre.org

they also have practce reviews and tests you can dl for free

enjoy:D

i was told by applicants the year ahead of me that you should aim for at least a 1200 (ortho) - but there is not really any posted minimums for the schools I am looking at. from what I can tell, it seems like about 1/2 of ortho programs require it, and a handful of programs in other specialties... but the MS doesn't have anything to do with it; for example OU gives an MS but requires no GRE, while every school in texas does. go figure.
I would reccommend the book by Barron's - their vocab list was right on! I think a few weeks in May/June would be enough to spend on the GRE if you want to be able to send scores out about the same time as you are sending in applications.

do you have to report your GRE score to every school you apply for no matter what? even if the school doesn't require it? How many times can you take it? And during what time of the school years do people usually take the GRE, the third year? and then NDBE part II the fourth year? What are the averages/stats for entrance into top program for the GRE? (where can i find the info?)

to answer the last set of questions:

do you have to report your GRE score to every school you apply for no matter what? even if the school doesn't require it? nope and nope

How many times can you take it? as many as you want, but your score is an average of every time you take it. you must wait 30 days to retake the computerized version.

And during what time of the school years do people usually take the GRE, the third year? end of third year

and then NDBE part II the fourth year? yes, december

What are the averages/stats for entrance into top program for the GRE? all i know is about ortho, and there is nothing but word of mouth... i keep hearing 1200 is the cutoff.

thanks! for the concise but very informative answers!
one more question: where did you guys find all these information about which schools need GRE. For example, I'm interested in Michigan schools and Northeastern schools....I guess I would need to look up each individual schools huh?

texas_dds said:
i was told by applicants the year ahead of me that you should aim for at least a 1200 (ortho) - but there is not really any posted minimums for the schools I am looking at. from what I can tell, it seems like about 1/2 of ortho programs require it, and a handful of programs in other specialties... but the MS doesn't have anything to do with it; for example OU gives an MS but requires no GRE, while every school in texas does. go figure.
I would reccommend the book by Barron's - their vocab list was right on! I think a few weeks in May/June would be enough to spend on the GRE if you want to be able to send scores out about the same time as you are sending in applications.

Very helpful info texas_dds!!!

Have u taken the GREs already? How was it? If you don't mind sharing, how did you do?

yes i took the GRE on June 18th... i thought that the biggest thing for me was the time limit on the math section - barely finished. I ended up w/a 1310 which is fine w/me.. If I had more time I bet I could have done better but that score is workable so I'll keep it.
i took a billion practice test but i got really flustered w/the time limits on the real deal... also there is an extra experimental math section that is really hard and i started to freak out when i had to guess a lot. but then the real math section came up and I was ok. i know two other ladies who took it in my class for ortho apps and they both also felt that they were much more flustered in the middle than they expected - but we all got over 1200 so thats all good. good luck and get the barrons book if you take it. OH YEA - the princeton review book is alright but the part about the analytical writing section is MONEY! USE THE TEMPLATES! the essays are written in your head before you walk in, all you do is fill in the blanks. hope this helps.

I'm probably an idiot, but your 1310 for example includes both the verbal and math but not the essays. Correct? Do they not care as much about the essays?

1310=690 on math + 620 on verbal (I got a 5.0 our of 6 on writing) Most people say the writing doesn't matter unless you bomb it. But if you use the Princeton templates, that will not happen.

thanks for the helpful info!!

Here are some hints that I found useful:

1. The 2 simulated exams found in the PowerPrep software that you can download from http://www.gre.org/pracmats.html#gentest are the MOST representative of what your real score will be. The math sections found on those 2 tests (as are the math sections on the real deal) will more difficult than any practice exams you may have seen.
2. The exam is more about speed than knowledge. I built my speed with the 7 actual GRE test book which you can purchase from that site. The old paper versions were twice as long (double sections of math & verbal) as the computerized version. I remember coming home from clinic and taking a full-length test for a week straight. :thumbdown:
3. Most people forget about the reading comprehension and head straight to words for the verbal section. I would get good at sentene completions and speed reading as there will be 3 reading passages--comprising of a 70+, 40-60, and 30 lines--in your 30 minutes of verbal.
4. The Top 200 words found in the Kaplan book were more helpful for me than the mini-dictionary.
5. I also found the templates from the Princeton Review book to be helpful.

I hope this helps. If I had to do it all over again, I would have taken my GRE a lot sooner. I just completed my last application to ortho programs tonight and am I relieved (for now).

Does anyone know whether people who took the GRE when it had an analytical section have to take it over again in the new format, or whether they can use their old scores in apps? Or are any scores less than x years old acceptable? Not that this applies to me, but I'd be interested to know.

I took the GRE in 2000. I used the Kaplan book and CD-ROM and that's it. I did better than 1200.

So why did they take away the analytical section anyway? I loved that part!

trypmo,

I think the GRE scores are valid for upto 4 (maybe 5) years after you took the test. But if you took it in 2000, then you'll have to take it over by the time you apply for post-grad.

They took away the analytical and replaced it with the writing b/c they felt writing is a more important skill necessary for success in grad school than trying to figure out those ridiculous scenarios of "3 people, 4 shirts, 5 marbles, and Peter's favorite color is not blue" etc.