great book suggestion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mansoor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey for anyone who wants to read a medical-related book, i strongly suggest Complications: A Surgeon's Note on an Imperfect Science by Atul Gawande. It is really a wonderful book. The author is a harvard med graduate in his last year of surgical residency. He explains the fallibility of doctors, how they are human, and tells a few great stories.

Members don't see this ad.

While we're having a book club meeting... :wink:

I'd like to suggest The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman. I'm reading it now and it's really interesting...it's about the clash of cultures and western/eastern medicine when an epileptic Hmong child seeks medical care in CA.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doctora Foxy:
•While we're having a book club meeting... :wink:

I'd like to suggest The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman. I'm reading it now and it's really interesting...it's about the clash of cultures and western/eastern medicine when an epileptic Hmong child seeks medical care in CA.•••••Yeah i read that too. Great book, i agree. However, i am not a fan of history at all, and the latter half of the book pretty much intertwines a chapter of Hmong history with a chapter of the story at hand. I skimmed through the history, but the rest of the book is wonderfully insightful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Funny that you mentioned Complications. I was at Border reading it tonight. The Spirit Catches you is also a great read. Now I am churning through Betrayal of Trust by Laurie Garrett. Aside from her book, are there good books on healthcare reform, specifically in regards to Healthcare access for the disadvantaged? Thanks!

Z.

"Becoming a Doctor" by Melvin Konner. No doubt one of the best, I think most SDNers will agree.

For a unique view of health care reform, read Gesundheit! by Patch Adams.