Great GPA, Expecting great MCAT, but limited extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buttermellow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm a junior biology major, my gpa is a 4.0 (both science and core classes) at a fairly well-ranked public liberal arts college. I am a very good test-taker, and I expect my MCAT score to be fairly good (I got a 25 on a practice with zero studying). The thing is my extracurriculars.

I am a member of a dance team that both teaches dance weekly, performs at events, and competes, which takes up a lot of time. I am also a member of AMSA (Am.Med.Student Assoc.). I have worked at the student health center for over a year doing mostly clerical work, handling phone calls, etc. I also volunteered at the hospital for a semester but quit because all I was allowed to do was make charts. I also am shadowing over christmas break.

So I guess my question is, is it too late for me for volunteering? I haven't had a lot of volunteer experience in college (I did quite a bit in high school though). If I started volunteering next semester, would that be good?

Members don't see this ad.

Those ECs don't seem all that bad. however a 25 on the MCAT?
-what score are you hoping for? if you could push it to a 32 or 33, it seems like you should be fine. what schools are you applying to?

If you're super concerned about your ECs, you could always take a year off and do something interesting in the interim. Maybe work as an EMT and volunteer at a clinic or something.

someone correct me if I'm totally off base here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those ECs don't seem all that bad. however a 25 on the MCAT?
-what score are you hoping for? if you could push it to a 32 or 33, it seems like you should be fine. what schools are you applying to?

If you're super concerned about your ECs, you could always take a year off and do something interesting in the interim. Maybe work as an EMT and volunteer at a clinic or something.

someone correct me if I'm totally off base here.

The 25 MCAT was one I just took for "fun." I hadn't completed all the classes that would cover MCAT material, and hadn't studied one lick. I would expect at least a 32 on the MCAT. I plan on applying mostly to in-state schools (Missouri).

If you did or do anything similar to tutoring/mentoring schools kids during the college years, it is OK to list the HS activity hours with it. That is a nice EC to have and being able to include the hours done long ago would make it stronger.

You didn't mention when you plan to apply, but if it's in summer 2011, then it would be very important to get some additional clinical experience in, starting as soon as possible. If you can't get a hospital position that allows for patient interaction, then try a nursing home, clinic, hospice, or rehab center instead. Be sure to mention handling patient phone calls when you worked at the health center, as that would be patient experience, too, in a way.

It's good you plan to get in some physician shadowing before you apply. About 50 hours seems average.

Your dance involvement will be great as an artistic endeavor. And it gives you something for teaching as well. Anything for leadership or hobbies?

If you did or do anything similar to tutoring/mentoring schools kids during the college years, it is OK to list the HS activity hours with it. That is a nice EC to have and being able to include the hours done long ago would make it stronger.

You didn't mention when you plan to apply, but if it's in summer 2011, then it would be very important to get some additional clinical experience in, starting as soon as possible. If you can't get a hospital position that allows for patient interaction, then try a nursing home, clinic, hospice, or rehab center instead. Be sure to mention handling patient phone calls when you worked at the health center, as that would be patient experience, too, in a way.

It's good you plan to get in some physician shadowing before you apply. About 50 hours seems average.

Your dance involvement will be great as an artistic endeavor. And it gives you something for teaching as well. Anything for leadership or hobbies?

Yeah, I plan on volunteering at a nursing home.

I do have an exec. board position for my dance group, I'm in charge of advertising as well as planning "team building" events.

I have a ton of hobbies. Cooking, art, knitting, reading, origami, photography, amateur graphic design.... the list goes on.