Great MD letter or generic DO letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedstudent12345

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have shadowed both a DO and an MD but I got to know the MD much better. Both agreed to write me a LOR, although the DO was hesitant due to her busy schedule while the MD was more than happy to write one. The DO was very rushed and she had no breaks between patients, so I never really had any long conversations with her or got to know her. I just observed her treat patients and asked a few questions here and there. I imagine the letter would be generic. The MD, on the other hand, is someone I got to know quite well and had lots of conversations with her in her office in between patients, where we discussed medicine, my goals, and just life in general. I feel like she knows me much better as a person and her letter would be more genuine. That being said, I know that a lot of DO schools highly recommend/prefer a DO letter. Western, one of top choices, prefers a DO letter and I don't want to be penalized for not having one. What would you all recommend I do? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would do both if you can.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Stick with letter writer who is euthastic. If you don't need extra letters I wouldn't use the DO one.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree, if the writer isn't immediately happy to write one I say take a pass on it, especially if they did not get to know you well. Unless, and only unless, any school you're applying for requires a DO letter, then it may be a different story. Even if they prefer a DO, it won't do you any good if it's a lukewarm letter that generically says that you're a good person.

Reactions: 1 users
Use both. Some schools give you points just for a DO letter

Ditto!!!!

Funny enough I'm in a similar situation, but both of the doctors I shadowed happened to be married to each other, one's an MD (who knows me better, has seen me more times) and one's a DO. I would say both as well, I've heard having a DO letter is plus, but @Goro should I ask them to write a letter separately or together? Would that make it more unique or would it not be looked upon favorably?

(Also welcome back! Woohoo! This side of town seemed a little more lonely with your absence.)

Last edited:
Funny enough I'm in a similar situation, but both of the doctors I shadowed happened to be married to each other, one's an MD (who knows me better, has seen me more times) and one's a DO. I would say both as well, I've heard having a DO letter is plus, but @Goro should I ask them to write a letter separately or together? Would that make it more unique or would it not be looked upon favorably?

(Also welcome back! Woohoo! This side of town seemed a little more lonely with your absence.)

Separate letters.

I have shadowed both a DO and an MD but I got to know the MD much better. Both agreed to write me a LOR, although the DO was hesitant due to her busy schedule while the MD was more than happy to write one. The DO was very rushed and she had no breaks between patients, so I never really had any long conversations with her or got to know her. I just observed her treat patients and asked a few questions here and there. I imagine the letter would be generic. The MD, on the other hand, is someone I got to know quite well and had lots of conversations with her in her office in between patients, where we discussed medicine, my goals, and just life in general. I feel like she knows me much better as a person and her letter would be more genuine. That being said, I know that a lot of DO schools highly recommend/prefer a DO letter. Western, one of top choices, prefers a DO letter and I don't want to be penalized for not having one. What would you all recommend I do? Thanks.

You don't need a DO letter to get into a good DO program. It's more about your experience and articulation of Osteopathic principles and practices, along with your understanding of the differences that exist between a MD and a DO. At the end of the day, both are physicians. You want a letter from a physician who knows you well and strongly believes that you will be a good physician.

Enthusiastic MD beats lukewarm DO any day. Most DO schools don't even require a DO letter anyway, I think there are only like 4 schools that still require it.

Try to get both, especially if you're applying to a school that really wants it, but if you have to choose one, enthusiastic MD wins.