Update letter advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemgirl97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working full time for about 7 months but was hired after I submitted my primary application so it's not included on my W/A section. Does this plus additional activities warrant an update letter to schools that welcome them? I don't want schools to think that I'm not doing anything "enriching" during my gap year and that's why there's been (mostly) silence.

Members don't see this ad.

In most cases, I doubt 7 months of work would tip the scales. Exception being if you had no clinical experience or research and now have 1k hours. What line of work?

I've heard a select few schools like applicants to be "thirsty" for them. That's where an update letter would probably help the most.

In most cases, I doubt 7 months of work would tip the scales. Exception being if you had no clinical experience or research and now have 1k hours. What line of work?

I've heard a select few schools like applicants to be "thirsty" for them. That's where an update letter would probably help the most.
I'm working as a chemist for a solvent company, and I recently started working as a scribe again.

If you happen to know which schools happily accept update letters pls help a gal out

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm working as a chemist for a solvent company, and I recently started working as a scribe again.

If you happen to know which schools happily accept update letters pls help a gal out
Unfortunately I don't recall specifics. I remember thinking my stats were too low to apply any of the places and think one of them might have been Mayo?

Working as a chemist is a bit more interesting than average IMO. Again I don't think it's exciting enough to tip the scales but it probably wouldn't hurt to update.

Unfortunately I don't recall specifics. I remember thinking my stats were too low to apply any of the places and think one of them might have been Mayo?

Working as a chemist is a bit more interesting than average IMO. Again I don't think it's exciting enough to tip the scales but it probably wouldn't hurt to update.
Fwiw, I went straight into the job after finishing my SMP. Like 3 days after the curriculum ended. That's the only reason why I'm considering adding it.
I'm definitely not in the stat range for Mayo and other MD programs that are needy lol

I have been working full time for about 7 months but was hired after I submitted my primary application so it's not included on my W/A section. Does this plus additional activities warrant an update letter to schools that welcome them? I don't want schools to think that I'm not doing anything "enriching" during my gap year and that's why there's been (mostly) silence.
This is not worth the electrons of an update letter