Griffith Medicine 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnceuponaDRdream

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Haven't seen any thread for Griffith University MD program 2019. Has anyone from Canada/international been accepted yet? I know they did interviews in June but I didn't apply until the middle of June. Has anyone heard back about the August interviews yet?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I recently (July 31) received an interview offer but declined because I was accepted to a school in Ireland. Would have loved to go to Griffith, but I did not want to wait until next year to start school. Was also accepted to UWA and UQ but declined for same reason.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

Canadian here, I just got an offer to Griffith and am accepting my offer!! :) Excited to get started and meet you all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I also had an interview August 6 and received an offer. I'm a student from Ontario, and was wondering what you guys know about Griffith in terms of international students matching, and the internship situation there? It is a relatively new school, so its hard to find much information about it in terms of the program structure, and I don't know of anyone who has attended, so any insight would be appreciated. Specifically, I'm wondering about the chances of getting an internship position, and if I don't, is it required to do the internship in order to apply to match for residency in Canada or the U.S. (or can I apply for residency without having done the internship?). Also, do you guys know anything about electives overseas? Thanks!

Hi everyone, I also had an interview August 6 and received an offer. I'm a student from Ontario, and was wondering what you guys know about Griffith in terms of international students matching, and the internship situation there? It is a relatively new school, so its hard to find much information about it in terms of the program structure, and I don't know of anyone who has attended, so any insight would be appreciated. Specifically, I'm wondering about the chances of getting an internship position, and if I don't, is it required to do the internship in order to apply to match for residency in Canada or the U.S. (or can I apply for residency without having done the internship?). Also, do you guys know anything about electives overseas? Thanks!

I'm sure you don't have to do the internship to apply for US specialties. Just keep in mind that if you don't do the internship then you cant specialize in Australia. I have heard that internationals get low priority for internships but don't know much about it. If you get a good step 1 score and get accepted into a specialty in the US/Canada after finishing MD then you don't have to do the internship anyways. But that's up to you.

Hello all! I was recently accepted into Griffith! Canadian from Montreal.
I created a FB page for Canadian international medical students called "Canadian International Medical Students - Griffith University 2019"(/groups/686616771704328/), so that way we can connect and figure out medical school/residency process together! (ps I'm not active on the forum so I cannot post links so I added the end part to the facebook link)
Looking forward to meeting you all! :)

I recently (July 31) received an interview offer but declined because I was accepted to a school in Ireland. Would have loved to go to Griffith, but I did not want to wait until next year to start school. Was also accepted to UWA and UQ but declined for same reason.

If I may ask, what was your reason for choosing Ireland over Australia? I believe there's a higher chance of residency/internship in Australia compared to one in Ireland (almost 0 chance). For me, that's a better backup.

If I may ask, what was your reason for choosing Ireland over Australia? I believe there's a higher chance of residency/internship in Australia compared to one in Ireland (almost 0 chance). For me, that's a better backup.
The biggest reason for me was starting in September instead of next January. I was also born in Europe: Short flight to see family, excellent chance at internship, don't have to pay for some fees. But ultimately, for me personally, I think I have a slightly better chance of succeeding in Ireland over Australia

Irish medical schools are also cheaper than australian ones. He may have dual EU citizenship, etc

The biggest reason for me was starting in September instead of next January. I was also born in Europe: Short flight to see family, excellent chance at internship, don't have to pay for some fees. But ultimately, for me personally, I think I have a slightly better chance of succeeding in Ireland over Australia

Irish medical schools are also cheaper than australian ones. He may have dual EU citizenship, etc

Makes sense! Good luck with everything. As I don't have an EU passport, Australia seems the much better option.