Grignard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChrisM07

Dental Student
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When does a Grignard add an alkyl group and when does it serve only to de-protonate. I feel like I've seen both happen and I can't really predict when.

Members don't see this ad.

It will always deprotonate any remotely acidic H, such as on an alcohol or a terminal alkyne (which makes an acetylide)

It will always deprotonate any remotely acidic H, such as on an alcohol or a terminal alkyne (which makes an acetylide)

Yep...generally pka of around 25 and lower gets deprotonated. What's I think is important is that you understand that the Grignard is an excellent nucleophile/super strong base. If you understand that you can pretty much extrapolate how it reacts in any scenario.

Thanks guys! So, one more relating to Grignards. How do you know when sulfuric acid will be removing the O- if the Grignard is added to a carbonyl, forming a new C=C bond, or if it will protonate the O forming an alcohol.

Here, the ethyl grignard is being reacted with sulfuric acid.

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! So, one more relating to Grignards. How do you know when sulfuric acid will be removing the O- if the Grignard is added to a carbonyl, forming a new C=C bond, or if it will protonate the O forming an alcohol.

Here, the ethyl grignard is being reacted with sulfuric acid.

Thanks again!

This is not a grinard reaction. This is a wittig reaction with an ylide acting as a nucleophile. If I am not mistaken, forming a c-c double bond.

This is not a grinard reaction. This is a wittig reaction with an ylide acting as a nucleophile. If I am not mistaken, forming a c-c double bond.

I was going to say the same thing. I don't think there's any case in which a grinard can eliminate the oxygen all together. In all cases, there will always be an alcohol present where there used to be a ketone.

From DATQVault. I was honestly looking for a Wittig reaction in the answer choices.

This is not a wittig reaction. From the answer choices, grignard addition (two carbons) happens first, forming an alcohol. Then, elimination reaction of alcohol by strong acid like sulfuric acid.

People also say on here all the time not to use qvault for Ochem, apparently there are also lots of errors you might run into.

From DATQVault. I was honestly looking for a Wittig reaction in the answer choices.

Ah this makes more sense now that I see the answer choices. Your question was, "How do I know if a grinard forms 1) alcohol/alkyl substituent or 2) double bond."

A grinard by itself will always form 1).
A grinard followed by dehydration (H2SO4) will form 2).

I think the confusing part is that a grinard by itself will still use H2SO4 but remember that it's diluted so you really have H3O+. It's just not written as part of the grinard in answer choice E. Thus, the confusion when you see the second step.