Gripe about NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JonDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had an interview at NYCOM back in March. After waiting patiently for 4 weeks and still nothing, I finally decided to call. They said that they were wating for letters of recommendation from Biology or Chemistry professors. I don't know about anyone else's, but my invitation letter said "two letters from Science faculty." From this, I sent out letters of recommendation from 2 of my professors in Nutrition (my major), who knows me, and will be more qualified in attesting to my competency on becoming a medical student. The last time I checked, Nutrition is still a science. I can't believe that NYCOM would still demand letters from Bio and Chem professors whom I have not seen or spoken to for about 3 to 4 years. Does a generic letter from a Bio or Chem professor carry more weight than a substantial letter from any other Science professor? And if they are specific about Bio and Chem professor letters, shouldn't they have specified it as such in their interview invitations? :mad:

Did anybody else have problems similar to mine? Or did you all submit letters from Bio and Chem professors?

Members don't see this ad.

The same thing happened to me. I happened to call, and they told me I was missing a letter. It was a big pain in the a$$, and I had to scramble but everything worked out in the end. 3 days after I had the letter resent, I got my acceptance letter. Good Luck.