KCUMB vs. NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mary3x

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been accepted to both KCU and NYCOM. While this is great I'm struggling to decide which school to go to. NYCOM is about 40k more expensive over 4 years, but being in NY its pretty much set that you'll end up the Tri-state area for residency. This is a big plus because I've always wanted to settle down in the NE where I grew up.

However, KCUMB is probably the better school in Years 1/2. I think the problems with NYCOM and sketch things like not getting back exam answers have been well documented SDN. Yet, I am unsure if going to KCU and being the midwest will prevent me from the getting the same residencies in NYC.

If I perform well does it matter where you go? Or do school affiliations and connections really help in getting a residency in a certain area. I get a DO school is a DO school and you'll obvs be at a disadvantage regardless.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I've been accepted to both KCU and NYCOM. While this is great I'm struggling to decide which school to go to. NYCOM is about 40k more expensive over 4 years, but being in NY its pretty much set that you'll end up the Tri-state area for residency. This is a big plus because I've always wanted to settle down in the NE where I grew up.

However, KCUMB is probably the better school in Years 1/2. I think the problems with NYCOM and sketch things like not getting back exam answers have been well documented SDN. Yet, I am unsure if going to KCU and being the midwest will prevent me from the getting the same residencies in NYC.

If I perform well does it matter where you go? Or do school affiliations and connections really help in getting a residency in a certain area. I get a DO school is a DO school and you'll obvs be at a disadvantage regardless.

KCU without question. You can make it back to the NE just fine regardless.

Reactions: 1 user
Preface: I have no knowledge of NYCOM

KCU :cool:

40k/year cheaper (hot dam*...) Plus KCU is a very strong DO school. If the only reason you are considering NYCOM over KCU is where you'll end up practicing one day, I think you should definitely go to KCU. Like the above poster said, you can find a way back to NE if you really want to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Preface: I have no knowledge of NYCOM

KCU :cool:

40k/year cheaper (hot dam*...) Plus KCU is a very strong DO school. If the only reason you are considering NYCOM over KCU is where you'll end up practicing one day, I think you should definitely go to KCU. Like the above poster said, you can find a way back to NE if you really want to.

10k/year = 40k over 4 years :rolleyes:

Hi everyone,

I went to school in the west and did a residency and fellowship in NYC. It is possible. You should rotate as much a possible in NYC if that is where you want to train and live. The rotations will allow program directors to get to know you. I did almost all of my elective rotations in NYC and it worked.