Gross Anatomy Lab Smells: Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gschl1234

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I double glove but still have smelly hands even after taking a shower and washing my hands several times. Any suggestions? Should I change my gloves serveral times an hour? Are there any special soaps out there that really work? thanks. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Try baby powder in your gloves.

You might try the non-latex housecleaning gloves. They don't fit as tightly, but are more or less impervious to smell. You can double-glove a latex over them to get the tighter fit.

Febreze is good stuff too! I often considered febrezing our cadaver, but people are so quick to take offense at such things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try not going to Lab. It's a waste of time, and u wont smell anything

how about you stop smelling your hands.

my second-year buddy gave me a jar of vaseline. she says it helps keep the smell off your hands if you double-glove over the top (nitrile first, then latex).

smelling like formaldehyde is part of being an MS1. You will smell like formaldehyde. So will your classmates. Do what you can to avoid it, but it will get in your skin and clothes no matter what.

I have good luck with nitrile gloves.

MeowMix said:
my second-year buddy gave me a jar of vaseline. she says it helps keep the smell off your hands if you double-glove over the top (nitrile first, then latex).
Vaseline in between the two layers? BTW, I have nitrile gloves already.

At the exit to my anatomy lab, there's one of those hand sanitizer dispenser things...and I've found that putting that on (after washing my hands several times, of course!) seems to get rid of some of the smell...last time I rubbed it in as far up as my elbows! And a guy in my class (who apparently has a soap "hobby" :laugh: ) says that you can get scented hand sanitizer too...maybe something to look into.

nitrile gloves have worked pretty well for me...i think the nastiest part of anatomy is all the fat you have to cut out...boo for fat cadavers=(

I agree with above. Get the nitrile gloves..they make a huge difference.

gschl1234 said:
Vaseline in between the two layers? BTW, I have nitrile gloves already.

vaseline first, then nitrile, then latex

and a good layer of bear grease over the top :D

docquaker said:
nitrile gloves have worked pretty well for me...i think the nastiest part of anatomy is all the fat you have to cut out...boo for fat cadavers=(

Today we were "melting" fat off the sulci of the heart so as not to mess up the arteries and stuff there...nothing like rubbing fat in your fingers until it melts to make you never want to cook with butter again! :laugh: (not that I have ever cooked with butter...I am still a member of the non-cooking society, i.e. the people in the dorms...arg).

The bottom line is that you will stink in the beginning. The good news is that you will become accustomed to the smell somewhat (believe it!) and that the bodies will start to dry up as you progress with the dissection since the body will be continuously "airing out" during lab. As the first practical creeps up, people will blatantly leave the cadaver uncovered when studying from body-to-body thus drying it out even more and people become lazy and stop bothering to "water it" after lab. Within 2 months, a lot of you won't even bother to wear a lab coat - you'll just waltz in there (you'll see!) and you'll be leaning all over them in your Prada suit. :rolleyes: Whatever you wear to lab will be thrown into the trash after anatomy is over. We had 2 lab sessions, so I just grabbed a random lab coat off the hooks, presumably from someone else in the other session. Don't bother buying Grant's dissector if you haven't already since someone else in your group will bring it and you won't even read it (at least you shouldn't! - there are way more important things to do).