grrr, wtf, is this common practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted36260

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure a lot of people are going to have a ton of compassion for this situation. Almost everyone in this forum took the April or August test. For us April folks, that meant taking it while we were finishing our last couple weeks of school, and studying for finals.
Maybe your school has yet to adjust to the new system, though, and will soon make arrangements.

I took April test 2 days before my finals started. NOT possible for me to have compassion for your situation.\

Try suggesting multiple interview dates to your school based on the new 22 administrations/19dates. See if that works, though it is highly unlikely that it will. They will change things on their own time. Welcome to the hoops, have fun jumping.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure a lot of people are going to have a ton of compassion for this situation. Almost everyone in this forum took the April or August test. For us April folks, that meant taking it while we were finishing our last couple weeks of school, and studying for finals.
Maybe your school has yet to adjust to the new system, though, and will soon make arrangements.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that. And if everyone elses school was doing the same thing as mine (I'm sure they aren't) I wouldn't have a problem - Level playing field and all that.

Just think it's sucks that the extra test dates aren't really applicable to me, and was wondering if this is common practice right now. If it weren't for SDN, I'd know nothing about this entire process. I'm not sure my pre-med commitee is even aware of the dates the test if offered...hrmmm.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that. And if everyone elses school was doing the same thing as mine (I'm sure they aren't) I wouldn't have a problem - Level playing field and all that.

Just think it's sucks that the extra test dates aren't really applicable to me, and was wondering if this is common practice right now. If it weren't for SDN, I'd know nothing about this entire process. I'm not sure my pre-med commitee is even aware of the dates the test if offered...hrmmm.

I should hope they are at least aware of the new test dates and format. But maybe not. You should call them and explain your situation and see what they say. Couldn't hurt.

I will be calling to see if they will take it into consideration, but I guess my other question is should I even worry about it?
Does moving on the process earlier, and thus starting the app process earlier, help that much? Should I just ignore the May MCAT all together and just focus on being ready to apply as early as possible? Obviouly April to August is a big jump, but how much of a disadvantage is that one month change?

Not trying to be neurotic, just educating myself :)

I will be calling to see if they will take it into consideration, but I guess my other question is should I even worry about it?
Does moving on the process earlier, and thus starting the app process earlier, help that much? Should I just ignore the May MCAT all together and just focus on being ready to apply as early as possible? Obviouly April to August is a big jump, but how much of a disadvantage is that one month change?

You want COMPLETE files as early as possible. So taking the MCAT in may isn't a disadvantage so much (and could be an advantage if you feel you have more time to study). But if because of that you won't get a composite letter from your pre-med committe until September thats bad.

Honestly, just suck it up and take the April test. You'll get complete sooner. Also, I don't think waiting a couple extra weeks into May is going to make that big of a difference in terms of the material you learn and whatnot.

I understand them only meeting one day a semester---getting a lot of people together can be a tough task

what i don't understand is why they wouldn't meet with you if you haven't taken the mcat...especially since they're not able to review anyone's score. thats what i would take issue with if i were you.

you having the highest mcat score possible makes more of a difference than the month between the april test date and the may test day...also, scores are supposed to come out sooner on the computer based tests, so you won't be at a time disadvantage as well.

so, if you have the energy for it, which i'm assuming you do, i would fight their decision not to see/discuss you at their semesterly meeting....:luck: :luck: :luck:

I know I had tons of issues with my LOR. Getting those done early early is a huge advantage in my mind. (Took 3 months for me to be complete). And it's going to suck but studying for the MCAT always does :luck:

I thought you could take the MCAT as early as January of 2007 ? Why don't you take it then ?

I'd describe the situation to them; considering this is going to be the first year where there are more than two dates to pick from, you school hasn't had much time to adjust yet.

Explain to them why it would be advantageous for you to take it in may or june (or whenever you plan on taking it) and that you don't have the option of waiting an extra year for your letters to be sent.

I took April test 2 days before my finals started. NOT possible for me to have compassion for your situation.\

Try suggesting multiple interview dates to your school based on the new 22 administrations/19dates. See if that works, though it is highly unlikely that it will. They will change things on their own time. Welcome to the hoops, have fun jumping.
Here here!!! No compassion.