GRU vs. Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kye0915

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting a thread and any comments/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I've finally narrowed down my potential future dental school to two:
  1. Georgia Regents University
    1. In-state (estimated TOTAL cost of 4 years: $213,558)
    2. Class size: ~90
    3. Board after D2 (summer before D3)
    4. Good school overall. But I honestly didn't like the location...
  2. University of Maryland at Baltimore
    1. Out-of-state. Students CAN receive In-state tuition after a year.
      • worst case: $394,592 (paying OOS 4 years)
      • ehh case: $335,062 (paying 2 years OOS and 2 years IS)
      • best case: $305,297 (paying 1 year OOS and 3 years IS)
    2. Class size: ~120
    3. Board after D1 (summer before D2)
    4. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the school. I asked many OOS D4's about receiving IS tuition and they all agreed that it's pretty easy and most OOS students receive it after 2 years if not 1 year. Also, unlike what I thought, the location wasn't too shady/unsafe either.

Not looking at the financial side, I want to go to Maryland... But the cost difference between GRU and Maryland ($100,000+) is not something easy to ignore... Is 300K of debt manageable?:(

Members don't see this ad.

100k is not a small amount of money at all... Are you crazy, GRU is insanely cheap.

Reactions: 1 users
Let's be real, it all comes down to whether the difference in location for 4 years is worth 100-200k for you. Debt management depends on the person. Some people never manage to pay it off and some do it within a few years.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have any questions about Maryland ask away!

I agree, put that $100,000 toward your practice some day and go to GA. It's just not worth it.

Thanks everyone for your comments!!!!!

Is it actually that easy to get in state tuition at Maryland? The financial aid officer seemed to imply it happens, but isn't the norm. Their residency requirements guidelines basically say if you're there just to attend school, you won't get in state residency. Did the D4 students mention what they had to do to get in state?

Is it actually that easy to get in state tuition at Maryland? The financial aid officer seemed to imply it happens, but isn't the norm. Their residency requirements guidelines basically say if you're there just to attend school, you won't get in state residency. Did the D4 students mention what they had to do to get in state?
From what I've heard, they had to bring their car, register to vote in Maryland, and volunteer in Maryland. The students I've talked to said it's all doable if you put effort and the school provides the to-do list for the students who are interested in changing residency.

From what I've heard, they had to bring their car, register to vote in Maryland, and volunteer in Maryland. The students I've talked to said it's all doable if you put effort and the school provides the to-do list for the students who are interested in changing residency.
You will have the time for volunteering, don't worry. Despite the hectic schedule, I do find some time to go to the gym and take care of myself.