GS Prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Speed McDuff

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this same message on the GS board...thought this board could help too.

I am an MS3 and planning to couples match in Radiology next year (my s.o. in GS). I would rather do a prelim year in GS than IM or a TY. I will likely wait and scramble for a prelim spot since I really need a spot in the same city in which I match.

My question is how difficult is it to get a GS prelim spot in the scramble (with decent scores/grades)? I've heard it would be easier to get GS than IM and esp. TY.

Any help is appreciated...thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

It is possible to set up your ROL to accomplish this if for each program (or set of programs in a specific location) you designate a different supplementary list including only those prelim spots in the same city as the radiology program of interest. That way, once you match radiology at that certain program it will look to match your prelim spot only in those places you have included in your supplementary list that you attached to that radiology program. Sounds confusing but it really isn't. Keep in mind that if you only put prelim/TY on supplementary lists and you don't match rads, then you have no chance of matching a prelim but it sounds like you wouldn't mind scrambling so that may not be such a bad thing. Review the NRMP website. There are more than a few discussions on aunt minnie about this that might be worth checking out. Good luck.

thanks sundevil, I had assumed that if I tried to match prelim spots AND Rads spots, I would run the (strong) risk of matching in a prelim nowhere near my radiology match. I will look into your suggestions for more details.