gtown waitlist persuasive letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicole20

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got on yet another waitlist yesterday and I have a few questions for anyone in the same boat at georgetown.

we are supposed to write a 3-paragraph persuasive to Dr. William Lauerman, but do we just send it to the admissions office? to Mrs. Sullivan?

Also, do I just reiterate what i wrote in my first essay and thank you notes?

I am really interested in this school, so I will write another essay even after i thought I was done for good.

Members don't see this ad.

nicole20 said:
I got on yet another waitlist yesterday and I have a few questions for anyone in the same boat at georgetown.

we are supposed to write a 3-paragraph persuasive to Dr. William Lauerman, but do we just send it to the admissions office? to Mrs. Sullivan?

I am really interested in this school, so I will write another essay even after i thought I was done for good.

Just send it to the Admissions Office. And try to tell them something new. Perhaps an update on what you've been doing since your interview, or more reasons why you really want to go to gtwon. I don't see the point in writing the same exact stuff that was in your first essay.

"we are supposed to write a 3-paragraph persuasive to Dr. William Lauerman, but do we just send it to the admissions office? to Mrs. Sullivan?"

I had a similar confusion - I have written down on the points of contact that the letter is supposed to be addressed to Dr. William Lauerman, and the envelope Attn: Mrs. Donna Sullivan, c/o the Office of Admissions.
(Georgetown University School of Admissions Box 571421, Washington, DC 20057-1421)
I guess Mrs. Sullivan makes sure that the letter gets in the hands of Dr. Lauerman.

Btw, if you don't mind my asking, when did you interview? (I interviewed second week of February, haven't heard anything, and I'm getting anxious)

Best of luck~

Members don't see this ad :)
nicole20 said:

I was under the impression that it was to Assistant Dean of Admissions Dr. Wall. But that might be since I was in the October interview batch and they split the 3 paragraph persuasive letters between Lauerman and Wall.

I addressed mine to the Admissions Office, in the letter I addressed it to Dean Wall, and I called a week after sending it to make sure that it reached its proper destination. As long as you follow up and have backups ready to send out it shouldn't be a huge problem.

I think that you should make it at least slightly different from ur first essay and thank you notes. About how you would fit, what you could contribute etc. Based on a medschool adviser's advice I also made the last paragraph an update of my continued productivity. I think enthusiasm is key. Anyways that's about all I can say. Good luck.

Attentive,
How did the persuasive letter work out for you - any luck?
I haven't heard official word, but with the way things have been going for me lately, I can pretty much assume at best I'm looking at a waitlisting. So I have already started my letter just to get a jump on it. Just curious if they really seem to make an impact or not.
Thanks and good luck~

they say you have to write a 3 paragraph persuasive? that is so ridiculous; one should write it on their own volition without the pressure that they may get rejected if they dont. Why is it that gtown wants so much praise (like in their secondary question)?

I don't think it's that they want praise as much as they want to be certain that the people they pull off the waitlist really want to matriculate there. I guess the trick is to convince them that that's the case in your persuasive letter.

seriously. this is so junior high school. most people should know that you have to work to get ahead in life.

i was planning on writing a letter anyway. the school is great.

Haybrant said:
they say you have to write a 3 paragraph persuasive? that is so ridiculous; one should write it on their own volition without the pressure that they may get rejected if they dont. Why is it that gtown wants so much praise (like in their secondary question)?

Yeah, they do want praise. They basically say as much during the interview day. Any school that gives you EXPLICIT instructions (not 4, but 3-paragraph letter of intent), is a bit too high on themselves. Isn't that just a little ridiculous? I guess Columbia's the same way...this whole process is stoopit.

NeverGettingIn said:
"we are supposed to write a 3-paragraph persuasive to Dr. William Lauerman, but do we just send it to the admissions office? to Mrs. Sullivan?"

I had a similar confusion - I have written down on the points of contact that the letter is supposed to be addressed to Dr. William Lauerman, and the envelope Attn: Mrs. Donna Sullivan, c/o the Office of Admissions.
(Georgetown University School of Admissions Box 571421, Washington, DC 20057-1421)
I guess Mrs. Sullivan makes sure that the letter gets in the hands of Dr. Lauerman.

Btw, if you don't mind my asking, when did you interview? (I interviewed second week of February, haven't heard anything, and I'm getting anxious)

Best of luck~

yeah, I was unsure so i just addressed it to Dr. Lauerman c/o Mrs. Sullivan so I figured that he or she would get it.

I interviewed on February 4th and I just got the letter yesterday.

Best of Luck!

NeverGettingIn said:
Attentive,
How did the persuasive letter work out for you - any luck?
I haven't heard official word, but with the way things have been going for me lately, I can pretty much assume at best I'm looking at a waitlisting. So I have already started my letter just to get a jump on it. Just curious if they really seem to make an impact or not.
Thanks and good luck~

Mine was actually a letter of intent. It was just sent in the last two weeks. However I know that I've read of at least one person who got pulled off the waitlist after sending a letter of intent in this cycle. best of luck. if i get a response i'll post.

Attentive said:
Mine was actually a letter of intent. It was just sent in the last two weeks. However I know that I've read of at least one person who got pulled off the waitlist after sending a letter of intent in this cycle. best of luck. if i get a response i'll post.

Yeah, guys, if you are waitlisted, write the ridiculous letter kissing their butts (you have to...how ridiculous is that?!). I was shocked when they told us this during the November interviews. Anyway, there's much hope out there to get off the waitlist and go to g-town. I am still holding a g-town acceptance, but the chances are high that I'll drop it like it's hot before May 15th. So, I hope it works out for you all. Good luck!

(Now, I wish more people would drop Cornell acceptances like they're hot so I can get in!!!)

So I just got a letter from g-town today. It says that I've been placed in the competitive applicant pool. It says nothing about a waitlist or 3 paragraph essay. What's the deal?

skiracer90 said:
So I just got a letter from g-town today. It says that I've been placed in the competitive applicant pool. It says nothing about a waitlist or 3 paragraph essay. What's the deal?

The competitive applicant pool is their waitlist. That's a good thing. Write your letter and you should be set.

I just got placed into their competitive applicant pool today too. Anyone out there who wrote a letter of intent this cycle and has already been accepted (and if so, what was the turn around time)? Is there a specific point in time when they review these persuasive letters or is it just pretty haphazard?
Sorry I'm full of questions...but this process has me going crazy. :eek:

cappymo said:
So in writing this persuasive letter, are you promising to go there if accepted? I wrote one saying I thought I would be a good match for the program and really liked it, and then was accepted like 2 weeks later--- however now I have been waitlisted at a school I would rather attend and want to write a letter in support of my candidacy there--- is that wrong??

Persuasive letters express a strong desire to attend. At certain points Mrs. Sullivan made it seem like whatever you wrote was a letter of intent, while to others it seemed more like the persuasive letter was that of interest. In either case I recall her stating that you shouldn't write it unless you were seriously considering it.

As long as you didn't write any clause along the lines of "If you accept me I will definitely matriculate," then you're free to express intent or interest at other schools. If you did have that clause then you wrote a letter of intent.

The opinions regarding how a broken letter of intent is looked upon varies, but it is generally frowned upon to make a promise you had no intention of keeping. In the long run it may or may not matter, and even when applying to the same institution it might not necessarily be red-flagged.

Overall I'd suggest you search prior LOI, Letter of Interest, Letter of Intent posts to get the range of opinions.

cappymo said:
So in writing this persuasive letter, are you promising to go there if accepted? I wrote one saying I thought I would be a good match for the program and really liked it, and then was accepted like 2 weeks later--- however now I have been waitlisted at a school I would rather attend and want to write a letter in support of my candidacy there--- is that wrong??

You could always drop georgetown and give me your spot to right your wrongs. Kidding. Well...kinda.

Why would it be 'wrong'?

I'm not saying it's wrong. I was just joking around because I'd like an acceptance from g-town. Just having some fun.