1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

guessed on entire last column of the scantron, for PS section, form AT

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by basha, Aug 19, 2002.

1. basha

basha Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

So this is what happened, I had 1:20 additional on my timer when the proctor said "pencils down", I had finished the exam, but hadn't bubbled in any of the answers. Now, I had to go as fast as I could before the proctor came and collected the exam. I filled every column, except the last. I wasnt going to risk her taking the exam from me so I guessed all C's on the last column. I did well on the entire exam, so can I with any hope still end up with a 10. Also, those of you with form AT, do you remember if the last column had a lot of C's. If not, did the last passage of the PS (form AT) atleast have a lot of C's. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. WonderBoy

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Bilal is that you?.... Sorry if you are not, a friend of mine put a lot of C's for the physical section as well.

As far as your questions goes, I don't remember. Sorry.

4. basha

basha Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

awww man, i was hoping no friends would catch this low point in my life. Anyway, somebody has to remember what they put for the last passage. C'mon people. All the people with form AT's, think hard..... was there or was there not a lot of C's on that last passage on the PS. I have to base my med school selection on this this fact alone so please help a brotha out.

5. Well I would say that you probably got 25% right at most. If you look at any AAMC practice tests they do a good job of distributing the correct answers A-D. Especially in sequential passages. In addition I would think that the MCAT people know that test takers who are running out of time would guess "C" on the last few passages. So they may shy away from having alot of "C" answers on the last column.

Not trying to make things seem worse then they are but you should take that into acount.

6. Jugador75

Jugador75 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

First of all, I do not think that the makers of the mcat purposely shy away from using "C" as an answer on the last passages because they think people running out of time will guess "C". Therefore, the comment that you can only expect to get at most %25 correct is ridiculous. You can expect to get, on average, %25 of those right. Which means you probably got a little bit more than 25% or a little MORE than %25.

Now, as for you question, is it still possible to get a 10? I have a feeling this the following is going to make you feel a lot better. I don't know how many questions there were in the last column, but suppose there were 20, and suppose that you got %25 of those correct. It is still possible for you to get a solid 15!! That's right. You can get 62 out of 77 and still get a 15! This is only on average, and will of course differ from test to test, but that is approximately correct. So if you got all the other questions right, then you're all set.

Hope this helps.
    David

7. For most AAMC materials getting a 62 will get you an 11. The range from 12 and up is 65-77.

Also I never said they avoided C I said they would probably try not to have a passage with alot of C answers. This does make sense. If they know people will tend to guess C on the last few passages when running short on time wouldn't they place a passage with a random ditribution of answers rather then one with alot of C's? If they didn't then the scale would be thrown off. I would think that a test like the MCAT would take that into acount

8. PS I'm not trying to make this person feel bad. The post asked a question which noone else answered so I gave my honest opinion on the matter.

9. nero

nero Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

its true that its possible at the end that they shy away.......sometimes however, they have up to 4 same letters in a row.........in one of my sections, i had 4 B's in a row, 3Cs ina row, and 3 As in a row.......whenever i get more than 2 in a row, i go back to double check my answers, cause i find 3 in a row to be a bit weird and unlikey, however, these questions were ones i was very very confident (as sure as i can be) about and realized its totally possible..........so.......taking that into accoutn, it is possible this person got more than 25% and could have gotten say 40%.......just as likely is this person got 10% rather than 25%.........

so i guess what i'm saying is that danswu you have a good point

best of luck to the poster................

nero

10. SuzyQ

SuzyQ Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey, i know what you mean nero by when you said you double checked your answers when you had 3 of the same letter in a row. That happened to me about 4 times on the test and I was doubting myself that I had picked the correct answers, however my answers did seem right....so lets just hope we were right!:D

11. Jugador75

Jugador75 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

12. basha

basha Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hey jugador, thanks for making me feel better man, now I can concentrate on my amcas app. And yea, I agree with ya, I used to guess D's, never C's. But after doing so many AAMC's, I began realizing the power of C's, I began guessing C's on those that I knew the correct answer, which wasn't C, and somehow kept getting those same questions right. The mcat people have yet to realize this, so I think I got away this time. LOL. :D :D :D

13. nero

nero Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

danswu is correct, 62 right will get you an 11 not a 15........the only 15 is gets you is 15 wrong.............kaplan is harder so the cureve is more generous.......look at aamc v and vi, and you'll see that getting about 65 wil get you a >= 12............

nero