Guidance for Problem Based Learning Curriculum with 0 lectures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GAMING4FUNN

Reaction score
For any student who is familiar with the PBL curriculum could you please provide some useful links or perhaps anecdotal experiences describing how you succeeded in PBL. I am starting medical school this July and would like some useful tips for myself and other students who might be in the same position.

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to another school if you have other options.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
there are many sources of lectures online that are undoubtedly better than 90% of med school professors out there. BnB was my staple. Didn’t go to any lectures after the first month

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Boards and Beyond is the most important learning source

If you need something more in-detail in something like physiology, then check out Physeo.

BRS practice books for consolidation and practice problems

USMLE Rx for consolidation and practice problems - this Qbank's questions go hand to hand with First Aid's information.

Reactions: 1 users
Theres nothing "inherently" wrong with PBL but it adds extra stressors to an already stressful program. I guess it beats mandatory attendance but if given the option to go to a traditional curriculum school with minimal to no attendance I would do it in a heartbeat

Theres nothing "inherently" wrong with PBL but it adds extra stressors to an already stressful program. I guess it beats mandatory attendance but if given the option to go to a traditional curriculum school with minimal to no attendance I would do it in a heartbeat
I rarely found lecture beneficial, it was moreso just being there and trying to listen. Like 90% of my study time was me going over the material myself and coupling it with external resources such as YT videos. So for me even if I had a lecture I feel as though it would cut into my time because I don't find it beneficial personally. I feel like I am just getting a rough idea of what the slides look like but not understanding the new concepts at my pace before the slide switches to the next. To each their own I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
I rarely found lecture beneficial, it was moreso just being there and trying to listen. Like 90% of my study time was me going over the material myself and coupling it with external resources such as YT videos. So for me even if I had a lecture I feel as though it would cut into my time because I don't find it beneficial personally. I feel like I am just getting a rough idea of what the slides look like but not understanding the new concepts at my pace before the slide switches to the next. To each their own I guess.
Agreed, the lecture is a waste of time which is why I recommended going to a school that did not have mandatory attendance. Being system-based also helps even if it is PBL. My school specifically tries to do system-based but its very weak and tends to jump topics making it difficult to use board sources.

Honestly, both styles (PBL and traditional lectures) are completely redundant. They're of zero use nowadays. We've got BnB, Pathoma, sketchy, etc. What more could you ask for? Lol

Reactions: 1 user