-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Guys...I'm cold.
Started by YoSoyCasa-MD
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Strategic cut off. If you REALLY wanted to prove your point you should of said, "top 33" 😉.Never in my life have I ever heard of car tires shattering due to the cold.
I'm from North Dakota.
Also, there's a medical school in Grand Forks, ND. With that, I'll just leave this here:
http://www.city-data.com/top2/c456.html
There isn't even a single IL city in the top 30. No one else gets to complain. 😉
But, let's be real here. There is 0 difference between >10 and <20 degrees. Plus, you have to factor in wind chill. When I was a kid I never once asked my ma what the temperature was outside; instead, I always asked "what's the wind chill"...
Last edited:
Strategic cut off. If you REALLY wanted to prove your point you should of said, "top 33" 😉.
Everyone does this.
E.g. "We're ranked in the top 15" = "We're 15th in the nation" 😛
And that's totally not a dig at the Blackhawks. 😉
But, let's be real here. There is 0 difference between 12-14 and 19 degrees. Plus, you have to factor in wind chill. When I was a kid I never once asked my ma what the temperature was outside; instead, I always asked "what's the wind chill"..
A couple degrees isn't much, but 15 degrees around freezing is very significant.
The ranges are hugely different, too:
vs
Chicago's low temperature average doesn't even reach Grand Forks' high temperature average in January.
Now factor in that one is Chicago and the other is Grand Forks, and I think you are going to have to give this one to the poor city.
And yes, yes I am bored.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They both have very similar wind patterns. They both average 12 mph for most of the winter, and Grand Forks experiences higher gusts. GF consistently peaks around 25-30 mph, whereas Chicago peaks around 20-25 mph.
On an "Average" January day, at their coldest, GF will have -4 degrees F and 12 mph winds. Chicago will be 18 degrees and also have 12 mph. At that point in time the wind chill in GF is around -25 degrees F, and Chicago is around 5 degrees F.
Fun fact, assuming a normal wind, the coldest wind chill experience in Grand Forks was -75 degrees F on January 30th, 2004. The coldest wind chill in Chicago was -50 on January 20th, 1985. Dontcha just love the Midwest?
On an "Average" January day, at their coldest, GF will have -4 degrees F and 12 mph winds. Chicago will be 18 degrees and also have 12 mph. At that point in time the wind chill in GF is around -25 degrees F, and Chicago is around 5 degrees F.
Fun fact, assuming a normal wind, the coldest wind chill experience in Grand Forks was -75 degrees F on January 30th, 2004. The coldest wind chill in Chicago was -50 on January 20th, 1985. Dontcha just love the Midwest?
It's serious enough that we're having our second snow day at SUNY Buffalo in as many days. It's quite rare that UB closes even once in a year, so when it happens two days in a row... it's gettin' realI just never realized how serious this was. Maybe post-december interviews aren't a bad thing after all.
We are very confused in AK right now....our ski resorts are cryingUtterly shocking. I had to order light ice in my boba drink because it was so cold.
In Las Vegas I have been walking around with a t shirt on.
Jealous. California has been in a drought for years and it sucks. 90 degrees on thanksgiving is not ok. I want a white Christmas.
85 degrees in San Diego right now :/
Oh no you don'tGeorgians be like:
![]()
Chance of showers in San Diego! A good thing since there hasn't been literally any rain this year in CA.
We just got rain up here in LA!Chance of showers in San Diego! A good thing since there hasn't been literally any rain this year in CA.
We just got rain up here in LA!
Then I guess we can expect it very soon!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Global warming is causing colder winters. Blame whatever causes global warming.
Does that koolaid taste good?
Does that koolaid taste good?
Mixing koolaid and vodka tastes great.
Global warming is causing colder winters. Blame whatever causes global warming.