Guyton H-Phys Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BUmiken12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how long it takes for you guys to cover the Guyton Textbook of Medical Physiology in med school. I'm reading it now for an undergrad Human Physiology course, and we have to do 6 chapters a week and finish the ENTIRE book in 1 semester. So I was just wondering if med schools covered that book in one semester also or did they divide it into multiple semesters/trimesters? Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that sounds a bit harsh to me for undergrad. One semester for the whole book? Our first year phys class probably covered the whole book, but we had other stuff in phys that wasn't in there (we did histo along with it). I would worry that in one semester there would be no way to learn the material in any level of detail. My undergrad phys course covered all of Marieb (actually written more for nurses/allied health) in 2 10 wk terms, but it's less detailed.

As far as reading textbooks in med school though, get ready. Robbins Pathology comes to mind as one that I will have read all of here real soon.