GW Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My school used Virtual Evals and I got a confirmation from GW saying my application was complete about a week ago. I am assuming if it is complete that they were able to read my LORs.
I still have not received an interview invite. I hope for it to be my first soon!!!

tennisnr said:
so I called them and all of us that used Virtual Evals are pretty much being screwed cuz GW was a school that couldn't figure out how to Download them and match them up with our secondaries.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Guys!

Congrats on the interviews! I just got mine in the snail mail for Sept. 16! I live in FL and never recieved a "file is complete" email. They recieved my secondary 7/27. My perm and perferred address are the same.

I have the same interview date as you, Kleintje. Hope to see you there!

Members don't see this ad :)
i sent in my application more than a week ago, and i still havent received a confirmation email, is it ok to call them and ask?

jtank said:
i sent in my application more than a week ago, and i still havent received a confirmation email, is it ok to call them and ask?

yes, you can call them. they only take "file/application status" calls between 1 pm and 4 pm, Eastern time. however, I would discourage you from calling them at this point until you allow some more time.

all my materials were sent by july 22 (secondary received email). I got notification via email of a complete file on august 4. this was before they started picking up on getting apps tho, and remember this school handles some 9000 apps. ergo:

"Please allow 4 to 5 weeks for our office to process your application and
letters of recommendation after we have received them. Once your
application is complete, you will receive notification from us."

jammin06 said:
crap, i put my university address as my preferred one because i expected to get most of my snail mail in the fall, now i have to wait for that mail to get forwarded to my summer address.

What college are you at?

Just call the coordinator at your college and aks her to PLEASE look out for any packages that come from medical schools. When I was at Martel, Maria was pretty good about expedititing mail that I needed to receive quickly while I was away for the summer.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, be sure to check in with Noreen and Dr. (cant think of her name now - the new advisor) just to make sure they get everything off quickly. And of course make sure the info you submitted online is accurate. Good luck!

crazy_cavalier said:
yes, you can call them. they only take "file/application status" calls between 1 pm and 4 pm, Eastern time. however, I would discourage you from calling them at this point until you allow some more time.

all my materials were sent by july 22 (secondary received email). I got notification via email of a complete file on august 4. this was before they started picking up on getting apps tho, and remember this school handles some 9000 apps. ergo:

"Please allow 4 to 5 weeks for our office to process your application and
letters of recommendation after we have received them. Once your
application is complete, you will receive notification from us."

so, my dude just sent my recs this week. does that mean i get an inverview in march? yay.

i sent mine in on 7-11, they said it was rec'd a few days letter, still no complete email...and i know my LOR's were sent in June :mad:

I was complete at the same time or earlier than many people who've gotten interviews, and I've called and they've confirmed that I'm complete and 'under review'...Do ya'll think this means rejection, or maybe just a hold for later consideration? I didn't really think I'd get into GW so I'm not holding my breath or anything, just wondering what yall thought :)

do you guys know if there are any available interview dates prior to sept 6th for GW?

crys20 said:
I was complete at the same time or earlier than many people who've gotten interviews, and I've called and they've confirmed that I'm complete and 'under review'...Do ya'll think this means rejection, or maybe just a hold for later consideration? I didn't really think I'd get into GW so I'm not holding my breath or anything, just wondering what yall thought :)
You shouldn't sell yourself short. Your stats are very competitive at GW.

I've had the same problem. My app and letters were in July 21 and I am not even under review yet. They said they had prob with virtual evals and are matching up the letters with the apps but they constantly keep on telling me this while I see other people that sent in their apps after me getting interviews (who probably didn't use Vevals). Anyway it's really frustrating

tennisnr said:
I've had the same problem. My app and letters were in July 21 and I am not even under review yet. They said they had prob with virtual evals and are matching up the letters with the apps but they constantly keep on telling me this while I see other people that sent in their apps after me getting interviews (who probably didn't use Vevals). Anyway it's really frustrating

i feel you... VEval sucks!! :(

Members don't see this ad :)
any sept 1st or 2nd interview dates?

tennisnr said:
I don't necessarily think VEval sux because all the other schools have been smart enough to figure it out except GW.

I had sent in my secondary to GWU over three weeks ago and got the "we received your app email and still need your recs". My recs had been available through virtual evals at that point. Just today (monday - aug 15th) I received the you are complete email. I actually think this is a bad thing b/c it seems that everyone who got an interview wasnt ever told they were complete. Maybe they send this email to people who actually have already been revieved and denied. Has anyone got a complete email followed by an interview offer?

just got my "application complete" email from GW. My school uses Virtual Evals. Submitted secondary 7/15.

BOBODR said:
I had sent in my secondary to GWU over three weeks ago and got the "we received your app email and still need your recs". My recs had been available through virtual evals at that point. Just today (monday - aug 15th) I received the you are complete email. I actually think this is a bad thing b/c it seems that everyone who got an interview wasnt ever told they were complete. Maybe they send this email to people who actually have already been revieved and denied. Has anyone got a complete email followed by an interview offer?

I actually got the same "complete" email today as well. And I have yet to receive an interview. I hope its not what you think though :(

beponychick said:
I actually got the same "complete" email today as well. And I have yet to receive an interview. I hope its not what you think though :(

Diddo. It actually REALLY upsets me that VEvals had delayed my ENTIRE application at GW and Case as well. There was absolutely NO POINT in turning my secondary in so early (on 07-13-05).

FREAKING ******ED!

I just got the complete email also today. Has ANYONE gotten a complete email followed by an interview invite?! oh man now i'm nervous.

Got the Completed email too.....oooff. Please GOD almighty let it be just a completed email and not to be followed by the rejection. Let it be followed by an interview!

BOBODR said:

OH MY LORDY! When I read this, I almost choked on my lunch. I swear it. I was half a second away from inhaling a chunk of potato chips. *gulps soda to clear the pipes*

Man, stop being so impatient and paranoid! If they've decided to deny you, why would they send a "you are complete" email and not a "we regret to inform you..." email? Seriously. Relax.

The only thing I worry about at GW is not getting snail mail if they decide to mail materials to me. If I'm lucky enough to get an interview, I'd like to know it asap so I could confirm a date in an appropriate response time. That's why I think they should email you in addition to snail mail, regardless of what action they decide to take.

I bet the people who were granted an interview were done so primarily on sheer numbers, and in that regard there are only a handful of applicants. The review process takes some 4-6 weeks after your file is complete. This means a decision to interview is not really made "for the rest of us", whose applications became complete in August, until at least September. Of course, that's still really early in the game. Even an interview in November is still pretty early, some interviews go on to March.

crazy_cavalier said:
I bet the people who were granted an interview were done so primarily on sheer numbers, and in that regard there are only a handful of applicants. The review process takes some 4-6 weeks after your file is complete. This means a decision to interview is not really made "for the rest of us", whose applications became complete in August, until at least September. Of course, that's still really early in the game. Even an interview in November is still pretty early, some interviews go on to March.

This is not true at all. GW did not send out interviews to only "stellar" applicants. They merely sent out interviews to the ppl that submitted their secondary early and MAILED in their LOR's and fit with GW's averages. What people, including myself, are complaining about is that a lot of us sent in our secondaries and LOR's just as early as these people that have gotten interviews and have very similar stats but have not gotten anything from GW because of their inability/incompetency in downloading our LOR's from VEvals. We might as well have submitted the secondary TODAY and mailed in our letters TODAY as opposed to over a month ago. THAT is what people are complaining about. And with a rolling school this hurts. Some of us have been penalized even though we turned everything in early through no fault of our own but instead because of GW and VEvals.

tennisnr said:
This is not true at all. GW did not send out interviews to only "stellar" applicants. They merely sent out interviews to the ppl that submitted their secondary early and MAILED in their LOR's and fit with GW's averages. What people, including myself, are complaining about is that a lot of us sent in our secondaries and LOR's just as early as these people that have gotten interviews and have very similar stats but have not gotten anything from GW because of their inability/incompetency in downloading our LOR's from VEvals. We might as well have submitted the secondary TODAY and mailed in our letters TODAY as opposed to over a month ago. THAT is what people are complaining about. And with a rolling school this hurts. Some of us have been penalized even though we turned everything in early through no fault of our own but instead because of GW and VEvals.
i didn't use "vevals". i sent in my app early, LORs early, got the all-complete e-mail on the 27th of july, and i have good mcat and gpa. no interview yet. i don't think it's as simple as "vevals hurt my app" or anything.

ahd929 said:
i didn't use "vevals". i sent in my app early, LORs early, got the all-complete e-mail on the 27th of july, and i have good mcat and gpa. no interview yet. i don't think it's as simple as "vevals hurt my app" or anything.

I'm saying it is a huge factor though because many of us haven't even had our application EVALUATED. I had everything in their office actually by July 20th and have not gotten an all complete email. But I do know for a fact that they haven't even looked at my appilcation because of the VEval problem. I called and asked and they said everything was in but they just couldn't match up my LOR's with my secondary and because of that it has not even been looked at even though everything was in about a month ago. So the good mcat, gpa, etc doesn't even factor in.

at least you virtual eval ppl have a reason!!! I finished my app 2 days after they sent it to me, sent in on 7-11, confirmed that they got it that thursday or so, and no complete email!!!! MY LORS WERE SENT IN BEFORE I FINISHED MY AMCAS!!! :mad: I want my complete email!!! That's it, i'm calling tomorrow.

C.P. Jones said:
at least you virtual eval ppl have a reason!!! I finished my app 2 days after they sent it to me, sent in on 7-11, confirmed that they got it that thursday or so, and no complete email!!!! MY LORS WERE SENT IN BEFORE I FINISHED MY AMCAS!!! :mad: I want my complete email!!! That's it, i'm calling tomorrow.

same here...i sent my app forever ago and my recs should be there now. i haven't heard ANYTHING from them...nothing at all.

SpeedRacer said:
same here...i sent my app forever ago and my recs should be there now. i haven't heard ANYTHING from them...nothing at all.

i was a bit disappointed to see your name and not see a speed racer avatar...i think that would be great....i'm not too sure if i want to call tomorrow now, i already emailed them last week and they seemed a bit annoyed. They said they just need time...grrrrrrr, what do they do, put the first apps they get at the bottom of the pile, and just keep piling them up from there?

C.P. Jones said:
i was a bit disappointed to see your name and not see a speed racer avatar...i think that would be great....

just for you

YES! haha, thank you. you've made my night. Go Speedracer, go Speedracer, go Speedracer go!

(I clearly need some sleep)

Oh Crazy Cavalier , your obviously a rookie at this. I am a seasoned veteran and applied to GWU last year. It was the same exact process as last year. By the way I wasnt rejected until April even though I had been reviewed in October. So why wouldnt they just send a rejection earlier around the time I was reviewed? Not being paranoid just being realistic. Most of the time that you see people complete after getting interviews, it usually means you have been passed over. And no it was not automatic interviews, most of the people who had received interviews were not "ridiculous applicants"..... good luck. Be aware of the GW hold that goes out to almost every applicant not interviewed.

BOBODR said:
By the way I wasnt rejected until April even though I had been reviewed in October. So why wouldnt they just send a rejection earlier around the time I was reviewed? Not being paranoid just being realistic. Most of the time that you see people complete after getting interviews, it usually means you have been passed over. And no it was not automatic interviews, most of the people who had received interviews were not "ridiculous applicants"..... good luck. Be aware of the GW hold that goes out to almost every applicant not interviewed.

I'm sorry you were put on permanent hold last year. Hopefully things will go better for you this time around.

BOBODR said:
Oh Crazy Cavalier , your obviously a rookie at this. I am a seasoned veteran and applied to GWU last year. It was the same exact process as last year. By the way I wasnt rejected until April even though I had been reviewed in October. So why wouldnt they just send a rejection earlier around the time I was reviewed? Not being paranoid just being realistic. Most of the time that you see people complete after getting interviews, it usually means you have been passed over. And no it was not automatic interviews, most of the people who had received interviews were not "ridiculous applicants"..... good luck. Be aware of the GW hold that goes out to almost every applicant not interviewed.

What kind of "complete" letter are we talking about. Are there variations of the "We have received all the necessary credentials in order for your application to be reviewed" Letter?

TheMightyAngus said:
What kind of "complete" letter are we talking about. Are there variations of the "We have received all the necessary credentials in order for your application to be reviewed" Letter?

No, there doesn't seem to be a variation. Well, actually there is a difference: There is the "We have received all the nec. credentials in order for your application to be reviewed" letter that is followed up shortly by an interview invite, and then there is the "We have received all the nec. credentials in order for your application to be reviewed" letter that is followed up by a long, void-like period of nothingness. The latter of the two is the permanent hold, soon to reject letter.

Boy this process sure makes me cynical at times :mad: :oops: :eek: :)

Finally got my "application complete" e-mail today, but I know for a fact that my committee letter wasn't even sent until the 4th or 5th of August. So it was about a one week turn around from them getting my secondary, payment, and committee letter to me getting the completed e-mail. Any more movement?

Did anyone last year get the "we have completed our interview period, but liked your credentials so will keep your app open" letter? That's what I got last year....after i believe 2 postcards saying i was complete....and then followed by a "we are now done, bla bla bla rejected bla bla bla"

I would like to know if anyone else got this, and also I think this means that ppl getting a complete letter w/o an immediate interview doesn't mean you are rejected/passed over....they do get 10K+ apps a year after all

Noooothing here. Nothing at all. Got secondary received way back when on July 21 and haven't heard a peep.

i'll put all the "complete + no interview" vs. "no complete notification vs. interview invite" theories to rest.

here's me:

"application received" e-mail: aug 9
"application complete!" e-mail: aug 15

interview invite: received today, mailed aug 17 (scheduled for mid-september)

SO PUMPED!!! this is a top choice.

good luck guys - GW interviews a ton of candidates until pretty late in the season.

Congratulations!!!!

So they are looking at applications that were complete in august. I guess no GW for me since I was complete for a LONG time. :(

medstylee said:
i'll put all the "complete + no interview" vs. "no complete notification vs. interview invite" theories to rest.

here's me:

"application received" e-mail: aug 9
"application complete!" e-mail: aug 15

interview invite: received today, mailed aug 17 (scheduled for mid-september)

SO PUMPED!!! this is a top choice.

good luck guys - GW interviews a ton of candidates until pretty late in the season.

beponychick said:
Congratulations!!!!

So they are looking at applications that were complete in august. I guess no GW for me since I was complete for a LONG time. :(

beponychick - i don't think you should feel that way! i'm a reapplicant, so i won't lie - this process taxes your patience like nothing else. sometimes schools will have you complete for months before they invite you to interviews. while you might not want to think about having to wait so long, i think that also gives you something positive to think about; you still have a chance! it's too early to lose hope. you really are at an advantage for applying so early. interviews are just beginning. just keep your chin up. i wish you the best of luck. :)

medstylee said:
beponychick - i don't think you should feel that way! i'm a reapplicant, so i won't lie - this process taxes your patience like nothing else. sometimes schools will have you complete for months before they invite you to interviews. while you might not want to think about having to wait so long, i think that also gives you something positive to think about; you still have a chance! it's too early to lose hope. you really are at an advantage for applying so early. interviews are just beginning. just keep your chin up. i wish you the best of luck. :)

Hey, Thanks for your support. I actually just checked my files and I was complete on the same exact date as you - August 15th. I have no idea why I thought it was sooner, maybe because I sent my secondary a long time ago, but my recommendations did not arrive until later. But anyways, Im at work now but I will see if there is a nice interview surprise for me when i get home. Im also a re-applicant so I know how you feel to get an interview offer. This is such a exhaustive process. Congratulations again, and hopefully Ill see you at the GW interview :)

Does it look bad if I rescheduled the interview two weeks later than the original date that they gave me?

medstylee said:

Hey medstylee,

Just curious, are you in DC?

just wondering, but has anyone called them to ask what the deal is?
has anyone asked them if not getting an interview invite when people who are complete after you are getting them really means that you're unofficially rejected??

i got my complete email 7/28 with no interview invite... and well, i would like a definitive answer!

but i wonder if they immediately interview their top choices now, then when their deadlines pass, come back to us "overlooked" and then offer interview invites... man do i feel like a second-class citizen :(

beponychick said:
Hey medstylee,

Just curious, are you in DC?

no, but i really wish i still was! i just finished graduate school in dc and recently moved back home to long island, ny for the year to work and stuff (bummer!)

medstylee said:
no, but i really wish i still was! i just finished graduate school in dc and recently moved back home to long island, ny for the year to work and stuff (bummer!)

did they send the letter to your NY address? just curious because my permanent is different than my preffered. Thanks.

beponychick said:
did they send the letter to your NY address? just curious because my permanent is different than my preffered. Thanks.

i got it at my ny address, but for me, my permanent and preferred addresses are the same. sorry i can't be of much help with that.

Okay I'm wondering if there's anyone else in a similar situation. I would really like to know. I got the "secondary received" email on like July 21 and my letters are in thru VEvals. I HAVE NOT received the complete email. I called and they keep saying they have STILL not matched up my letters with my secondary. Please anyone else in a similar situation to this??

tennisnr said:
Okay I'm wondering if there's anyone else in a similar situation. I would really like to know. I got the "secondary received" email on like July 21 and my letters are in thru VEvals. I HAVE NOT received the complete email. I called and they keep saying they have STILL not matched up my letters with my secondary. Please anyone else in a similar situation to this??

me too....but i haven't called to check on my letters matching yet.

Hey all,
I got a GW interview for mid sept.
It actaully scared me a little when I opened it.
Booked my flights, in and out in one day. Save on hotel that way I guess.
I hope it goes well, but it will be good practice in any case

primary mid june
secondary mid july
interview mid aug
interview date mid sept