GW Law or GW Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ido

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would you choose? Now clearly this a premed forum, so I know what to expect, but can you please provide some compelling arguments why I should choose med?

I don't want to get into exactly why the decision is between these two schools, but let's just say that family connections make it certain that I'll be accepted to these 2. (And based on my grades + mcat & lsat scores, not many others :( ).

Money, lifestyle, what have you. I'm honestly not sure which one to choose.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Do what you want to do. Why would you come to an online message board to ask people who don't even know you to make such a big decision for you?

No one gives a damn whether your pompous ass decides to become a doctor or a lawyer. In the end, you'll probably fail either way, so why even bother starting.

Which would you choose? Now clearly this a premed forum, so I know what to expect, but can you please provide some compelling arguments why I should choose med?

I don't want to get into exactly why the decision is between these two schools, but let's just say that family connections make it certain that I'll be accepted to these 2. (And based on my grades + mcat & lsat scores, not many others :( ).

Were you expecting a halfway decent response after spouting out crap like this? All I can say is: "In before thread lock".

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical school. However, it takes a certain kind of person in today's health care environment.

If you like money, then I'd go with law.

Oh goodie will there be a thread lock? I've always wanted to say "in before thread lock".

Anyhoo because I'm nowhere near the admission process I don't know much about GW or their professional schools. Do they have a MD/JD degree? If you can't make a decision and they have that degree then I'd go for it. Obviously if they don't have a MD/JD program then go with what you're more patient passionate about. I meant to say passionate. Saw too many patients today *sigh* carry on.

This is easy... go JD

Ido, I see this name a lot on my favoriate team fortress 2 server.

This man has connections to law school and medical school, so it's no problem for him. All I have to say is go to medical school, you'll be making millions in no time man!

btw

ibtl2yl6.gif

I'd say the assistant manager position at Best Buy. You get good discounts.

Ben? Ben, is it really you???

If you're debating between the two and consider them on equal footing, choose law. There isn't as much job security, but the environment sure as hell is less malignant than medicine, and the future of law looks nice and rosy compared to medicine.

I really hate the east coast mentality of connections and back room deals!

Members don't see this ad :)
If this kid is serious...

I was pre-med for a LONG time. Then I got pissed off at my orgo grades and switched to pre-law for about four years. Then a few years into grad school, I realized my true calling: veterinary medicine. But if you think you'll get by in any of the three professional schools with just connections (I don't mean just get in, I mean not fail out), I think you need to switch your major to business. :rolleyes:

Here's the skinny on this -- I'm not really a "gunner" type, so I don't expect to be at the top of my class in either med or law school. And I'm sure as heck not doing both! I just want a nice, comfortable professional career. Decent job security (although I don't really mind making a few job moves, or even being unemployed for small amounts of time), good money, time for family.

In other words I don't plan on being one of those outliers -- neurosurgeon making $500K or a biglaw partner making $750K. I imagine that if I went into medicine I'd probably go internal med (~160K/yr) or something along those lines, and that if I went into law I'd probably eventually make my way in-house (~160K/yr) after a few years in a firm.

It's a tough call for me. Discuss.

Nobody cares, and nobody is going to make your decision for you.

In other words I don't plan on being one of those outliers -- neurosurgeon making $500K or a biglaw partner making $750K. I imagine that if I went into medicine I'd probably go internal med (~160K/yr) or something along those lines, and that if I went into law I'd probably eventually make my way in-house (~160K/yr) after a few years in a firm.

If you think you can "make [your] way in-house" and make 160K after a "few years" in a firm, you have a lot to learn about corporate counsels.

Ed

If you think you can "make [your] way in-house" and make 160K after a "few years" in a firm, you have a lot to learn about corporate counsels.

Ed
No, I'm pretty sure that part's right. It'll be a bit of a pay cut from the lock-step salaries at the firm, but after a few years I'll be ready for the (relatively) easier corporate life.

I'm sensing a bit of hostility in this thread, so I'll try to turn it into a poll for you bashful-types who don't want to comment.

Go pursue law, best of luck, thanks, bye. :)

Here's the skinny on this -- I'm not really a "gunner" type, so I don't expect to be at the top of my class in either med or law school. And I'm sure as heck not doing both! I just want a nice, comfortable professional career. Decent job security (although I don't really mind making a few job moves, or even being unemployed for small amounts of time), good money, time for family.

Why would anyone care to discuss? These are vastly different fields and you have to decide for yourself which one is right for you. No one can make this decision for you...

I'd say law...it's cheaper. And when I say cheaper, I mean it's only $188,400 versus $283,562 (using their estimates).

But really, unless you're completely gung-ho about medicine, I'd stay away. There's enough crap to put up with that unless you really love it, it will just suck.

Of course, there are a lot of out-of-work lawyers in DC. At least if you're an MD you will always have a job. But with law you could always just go into lobbying or politics!

If you're a big enough *** to post this, go to law school.

If you're a big enough *** to post this, go to law school.

Ya know, it's funny, because there are a bunch of people who think the OP's a dick for saying that. Maybe because I'm from DC I take it at face value, like, "oh, ok, that makes sense." I swear, half the kids I know only got into the colleges or grad schools they did because of connections and/or money.

Par for the course for DC, I guess. You either get used to it, use the system yourself, or get out...

GW isn't even the best law school in the DC area. Georgetown is hands down the best.

i agree with what you said, though, brian. my friend is from DC, has low grades, low LSAT, and got into Georgetown Law no problem b/c his mom went there. he's not a minority, his #s were in the bottom of Georgetown's lowest quartile, and he got in. :laugh:

it's get even better...he doesn't want to go b/c he'd had to live at home again, so he isn't going! he has 3 years to go back if he wants, but he wants to go to the #80 ranked school rather than #14-15 since he won't have to live at home. :scared:

wow...law and medicine have next to nothing in common.

my gut reaction here for you is: LAW.

if you want money: LAW.

if you want time for family: LAW (well...lesser of two evils here)

just by the sound of your post: GO LAW.

i really don't think you'd like medicine. just...yeah...don't do medicine.

:rolleyes:

I hate these stereotypes. It happens everywhere.

You may not believe it, but most East Coasters actually have to work very hard for their acceptances be it to college, medical school, or law school.

i really have nothing against connections nor do i think its an exclusively east coast thing. i've seen it everywhere...in the south and the midwest where i've lived. plus, a lower grade version of this involves letters of rec and student research...where pre-meds try to get the biggest professor in their school to write their rec or the dean or something or choose research projects based on likelihood of getting published and the prestige behind the mentor's name on the letter of rec. but, OP: i'd definitely go Law. you don't seem set on either and 7-12 years of your life is a lot of time to waste on something for the sake of comfort down the line. in the case of medicine and you, i don't think the ends justify the means.

go to law school, then you can hang out will al pacino and have all sorts of evil fun. I've never heard of a movie called "the devils physician"

wow...law and medicine have next to nothing in common.

my gut reaction here for you is: LAW.

if you want money: LAW.

if you want time for family: LAW (well...lesser of two evils here)

just by the sound of your post: GO LAW.

i really don't think you'd like medicine. just...yeah...don't do medicine.

I dunno about that... Most lawyers I know (including my own father) work quite a bit more then most doctors i know (except surgeons).

Step 1: Ask yourself which one you are more interested in and would enjoy doing for many years.

Step 2: Go with that.

I was just perusing the GW law website. They dont even require LORs (sure they help though), heck, interviews arent even a part of the "normal" application process (as they put it). Man, compared to the med school application this sounds like cake walk. I know, I know I'm probably just being naive....but sure appears that way

If you're dead set on attending GW, and plan on making your career through connections and prestige as opposed to actual merit (it sounds like you do), GW's law program is more highly regarded than its medical program and is chock full of folks with political connections.

Being closely "connected" to the GW law school myself, I can also tell you you'll fit right in there - both in terms of an entitlement attitude and grossly misinformed ideas about the quality of life, availability of job options, and pay of firm and corporate lawyers. Go knock yourself out, kid.

I was just perusing the GW law website. They dont even require LORs (sure they help though), heck, interviews arent even a part of the "normal" application process (as they put it). Man, compared to the med school application this sounds like cake walk. I know, I know I'm probably just being naive....but sure appears that way

Law schools don't do interviews. I'm not an expert in the process (having never applied) but there is one thing that matters, and that is your LSAT score. Then GPA. Maybe. LORs, essays, resumes fall way below that.

If you do well on the LSAT, then you're golden, otherwise you'll be struggling against tons of people for spots in decent law schools. I would say that it's easier to get into 1 law school than it is to get into 1 med school, but there's no guarantee that law school will be accredited or get you a job.

I've watched tons of friends get crushed by the law school application process. In its own way I'm sure it sucks equally to applying to medical schools.

Law schools don't do interviews. I'm not an expert in the process (having never applied) but there is one thing that matters, and that is your LSAT score. Then GPA. Maybe. LORs, essays, resumes fall way below that.

If you do well on the LSAT, then you're golden, otherwise you'll be struggling against tons of people for spots in decent law schools. I would say that it's easier to get into 1 law school than it is to get into 1 med school, but there's no guarantee that law school will be accredited or get you a job.

I've watched tons of friends get crushed by the law school application process. In its own way I'm sure it sucks equally to applying to medical schools.
Absolutely

If you're dead set on attending GW, and plan on making your career through connections and prestige as opposed to actual merit (it sounds like you do), GW's law program is more highly regarded than its medical program and is chock full of folks with political connections.

Being closely "connected" to the GW law school myself, I can also tell you you'll fit right in there - both in terms of an entitlement attitude and grossly misinformed ideas about the quality of life, availability of job options, and pay of firm and corporate lawyers. Go knock yourself out, kid.
:laugh::laugh::thumbup:

i couldnt see myself doing law. and if you didnt do well on your lsat or didnt enjoy your "writing intensive" courses, i dont see why you would either. on the other hand i dont mind bio and all that. p.s. is GW even ranked as a law school?

i couldnt see myself doing law. and if you didnt do well on your lsat or didnt enjoy your "writing intensive" courses, i dont see why you would either. on the other hand i dont mind bio and all that. p.s. is GW even ranked as a law school?

it's ranked #20, I believe.

in terms of law schools, that's pretty darn good. nothing like going to an unranked law school to sour your chances of getting a decent job.

(and I only know this because a friend goes there...she traded up from an unranked law school, which is a big deal apparently)

Med school is easy, law school is difficult. Go for GW med. You can probably retire by the time your 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.